1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should words be coated in sugar while talking to ILs?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Me1, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Me1

Me1 Silver IL'ite

Hi All beautiful ladies,

I always wonder "should words be sugar coated?"

I am a mature and grown person and live practically. I speak what is there in my mind. I don't use any harsh words but can not be dramatic.

Where in my co-sis does it and MIL is in head over heels in love with her:biglaugh
    She expects the same with me. This has happened several times. Today as i came back (tired) from office she started saying that "your son keeps on pinching. He pinched me so hard that it is still paining"

(My DS is an year old and MIL takes care of him when I am away)

To this I replied smiling : hmm.. use samjhana padega ki galat baat h.(We need to make him understand that it is not right thing to do)

She got hurt with my statement and said :din bhar inka baccha sambhalo shaam ko inki suno"(For whole day i handle her kid and listen what she has to say.)

I told her above words just casually.. she was expecting me to say "yes, he has grown violent. Please let me know where to put the ointment"

I am :notthatway:

Suggest me did I made a mistake? Should I try sugar coating?

2. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

absolutely be diplomatic as you can. this is no less than world politics.

2 people like this.
  3. Me1

Me1 Silver IL'ite

Please suggest what i could have replied?

4. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

I am no sharp shooter. Can't think of smart things to say esp when i know they will be take out of context. There is no winning with some people, They just complain about everything. I don't engage with such people. so all i would have done is make a sorry face and said 'Oh, acchaa'. May be your MIL wants someone just to listen to her after a long day. She is old and probably gets more tired then you. Either way it works.

1 person likes this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I think she needed some sympathy. Instead of smiling , you could have asked her to show where he pinched and atleast told the baby in front of her ' don't do this baby , she is your dadi na' . I know baby will not understand anything if he is too young but she could have been happy, could have told her he does same during nights or weekends .

this is not sugar coating , just expressing concern to a person who helps out with your kid.

5 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Next time say...."Really Maa....I don't know where he learning this from....I am not here to keep an eye on him no???"

Or how about..."Sweety(dh)...you have to stop pinching me (naughty look) in front of sonny....he is also becoming naughty like you.

Or better still....."my son must have learnt it from your son...I will talk to both of them."

6 people like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

What is the option of keeping son in day care?I don't have much sympathy for your mil here...because she is the one who doesn't want to keep any one to help with work...when she has two dils who work full time.
    If she lives in a joint family and want to rule the house and make decisions herself ......then she will get tired and cranky by a child's behavior.

May be you should suggest the day care option.

1 person likes this.
  8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

It is quite much for a grandmother to take care of a small child the whole day. Maybe she needed some empathy.

6 people like this.
  9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Get a daycare or nanny. MIL should not have to take care of this situation, and so you need to hire a nanny or arrange a daycare.

4 people like this.
  10. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

She probably expected something along the lines of "Thank you so much, MIL. What will I ever do without you? You are so great, benevolent, charismatic, beautiful, wise, caring, loving...........(any other imaginary qualities)".

And all you came up with was a miserly "hmm.. use samjhana padega ki galat baat h".

Tch tch :notthatway:

2 people like this.