1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should in-laws sit in front seat or backseat of car?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Rihana, Jun 29, 2011.

1. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Don't care who sits in front with driver.. but for F sake, don't doze.. its distracting

2. Marun

Marun Platinum IL'ite

Ah.... Problem comes even with the seats? :confused2:

Aren't we overthinking and eating our brains ourselves?

2 people like this.
  3. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

Thats why they say....A DIL can never become a daughter.

sindmani likes this.
  4. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

This is not something so important which needs discussion.

There are so many other things which needs attention :bang

1 person likes this.
  5. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Come on Vani Vyas! I agree there are many more important issues which can be discussed but even this issue which may sound silly for some can be serious/irritating for others, it all depends upon each individual and their families.

When my in laws were living with us, 90% of the outings use to be with them, for short trips we use to take our 5 seater car and for longer trips we use to take 7 seater SUV and by default my FIL use to occupy the front seat next to hubby and like some one mentioned earlier, he would be dozing half the time some times even falling on and of on my hubby, my DH used to get very irritated and requested him several times to sit behind, he would never understand and my MIL would support him telling he needs the leg space.
    I would have tough time telling him the directions as I am more aware of the routes and maps when compared to hubby, they would practically see how uncomfortable it is for us but still won't bother. Here my MILs main intention is that I should not be sitting next to hubby.

Believe me only now after 18 years of my married life I am sitting in the front seat,
    ( My MIL is no more now) and when FIL is accompanying us he will directly go to the behind seat even without we saying anything to him.

6. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

OMG - That was such a sweet story....I think this one thing that he did - without her asking for it - will remain in her heart and mind for the rest of her life, and will help her cross any hurdles she faces with no problems. Thanks Monita for sharing this link.

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

For short distances I don't mind Fil sitting in front but for long journeys he is too distracting.He argues and talks about corruption and politics all the time...gets very excited and expects My husband who is driving to actively participate. Once we almost had an accident. Since then I tell him"papa ....I have to sit in front as only I can control him".:rotflHe doesn't like it but realizes that he distracts too much.

9. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

this is what i am going to tell them:

1. It is easy fr me to help my dh with the maps and routes.
    2. why fil want to strain sitting in the front, let him have a comfortable seat at the back
    3. let mil and fil together have good time. why should i make them sit separately :cool2:

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I don't think we have ever given this much thought in our family! There is really no designated space in the car for anyone... I mean it's a car for God's sake... who ever gets to the car first sits where he/she wants and the rest fill up the available space!

Mom and MIL prefer to sit in the back though because they feel too restricted by the seat belt in the front, thought I insist that they wear it even if they're sitting in the back. Also, they generally prefer to sit in the back because they like to sit with DD, whose carseat is in the back.