Should I move to Chennai? Job offer near OMR HELP WANTED URGENTLY

Discussion in 'Chennai' started by Senita, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Senita

Senita New IL'ite

Help!
    i travelled through India a long time ago and did love it but that was a holiday. I have a job offer there now and honestly I don't know what to do.
    i live in Europe and my friends have all said "What?"
    but then they will never leave here and have new experiences so I don't know why I am asking them.
    Now I am asking those of you who live in Chennai, so please be brutally honest!
    the good, the bad and the ugly...!!

I will work and my spouse will not so what sort of things can a trailing spouse do?
    No children. We are NKOI's (No Kids One Income)

All suggestions and comments very gratefully received.
    thank you!

2. Senita

Senita New IL'ite

So 100 views and no replies?
    Let me offer you something in return for your time ladies......for every response I get I will answer your question. I have lived across the world and can give you honest answers to your questions on many countries as a working woman. Here are the countries I can help you with:
    Australia
    Malaysia and Singapore
    UK
    Holland
    Italy
    Germany
    France

Let me help you too!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. subhinavino

subhinavino New IL'ite

Chennai Rentals, Real Estate are expensive. You have jobs in all sectors. Infrastructure is good and lot better. Good for the Tamil / Telugu crowd, or typically the SI crowd. Beaches are good and night life is okay. best variety of restaurants (yes, even compared to Blore!), big shopping malls
    Pros
    - Its a metropolitan city
    - Ample opportunity to socialize and meet a lot of expats
    - Most of the foreign embassies are in the city
    - You can find a vast array multi-cuisine dinning
    - Relatively cheaper than other metro cities (Delhi & Mumbai)
    - A lot of options for EASY travel around (pondicherry, Kodai, etc)
    - Last but not the least you have a BEACH and nothing beats sitting near the shore during the weekends and watching the sun go down

Cons- Predominately most of the natives speak Tamil, but if you speak english it should not be a problem
    - Traffic is horrible during peak hours
    - I don't want to generalize it but you need to be a bit careful when dealing with the locals
    - The weather is something that everyone complains about and its very humid to, so you must be prepared to shell out tons of sweat during summers

Well I hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  4. Senita

Senita New IL'ite

Thank you very Subhinavino! Exactly what i am looking for.....how easy is it to get to the beach with no car? Can I swim? Are there any clubs to belong to?

1 person likes this.
  5. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Swimming in the Marina Beach is not allowed (as far as I knew) . my hubby spent around 5 years in UK and me around a year. I donot think the type of beach we see there(whales) is here . but there are few resorts where u can swim .

Also I really wanna to tell u that a spouse (especially husband) without a job is not even imagined here in Chennai.
    Whereever u stay ,(means rented) the first question will be where ur husband works? . I am really not to frighten u , but in most of the places you may face the question.

And as pointed , you will see hot weather in Chennai during summer(from april--august)

2 people like this.
  6. subhinavino

subhinavino New IL'ite

Hi,

Covelong beach and thiruvanmiyur beach is nearby and u can swim ! BUT AT UR OWN RISK . its usually restricted . BUT if u look for swimming there are few private beaches but charges are way too HIGH . If your gonna stay in a big residential flat u will have access to the swimming pool there which will fullfill ur needs .

Walkable distance to beach ? - U mean without car . that depends on where exactly ur gonna stay .

1 person likes this.
  7. SriB

SriB New IL'ite

Senita,
    We just moved to Chennai .I am an Indian so it's easy for me to move back.which nationality are you?in which stream is your job offer?
    OMR is IT hub so I assume you are in IT. It's the fastest growing area in Chennai now.accesibility to beach is good from OMR. It will definitely be an experience to cherish. Lot of places to explore in and around Chennai. I can assure you ,you will never have a dull moment

it also depends on how long is your tenure. Better to come on a short contract of say two years and then depending on your interest you can continue.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  8. Senita

Senita New IL'ite

Thank you SriB...I agree with your comments. No dull moments!

9. priyakannan

priyakannan Senior IL'ite

Hai Senita,
    Just joined in this forum, got an opportunity to see your thread and the posts, have u decided about your trip r whats the status?

Priya