Shlokas & Forwards Brought to you by Sunkan

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by sunkan, Nov 18, 2006.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Re: Realisation Of God

dear tanmayi,
    a servant nowadays or in the north imust say has access to all things like food preparation, bed making dusting the house and so many things and each time she stops she admires the shine on the sofa fridge and she also gets to admire the flowers while watering, all the feelings that the owner enjoys in the house she enjoys but can she ever connect it as hers, never he says, so do all with duty and love show the utmost care but always know nothing here is urs, all belong to him and to none other...sunkan

2. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

Excellent post.

We all should surrender ourselves to Him. We have to do our best and leave the rest to Him after erasing the 'I' in us.Above all i like 'be a servent in the house' explanation.

Cheers,
    Lakshmi

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku lakshmi,
    happy u enjoyed the read..the words were of ramakrishna the grt guru..sunkan

4. tanmayi

tanmayi Bronze IL'ite

mmmmmm....... thanks a lot!

5. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

A divine post. Good to read ! Took me through the vedantic trip! Once this realisation comes to Man ,life becomes much easier to live!

Love,
    Devika

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Benefits Of Sandhyavandanam

This is partly a translation from the book written by Sreevatsa Somadeva Sharma and partly my own thoughts which includes what I have heard.​
    Through this article, I am not forcing anyone to do Sandhyavandanam.​
    Anyone who is already doing Sandhyavandanam will do it more efficiently. I shall follow-up with more detail, the way Sandhyavandanam is to be performed (a lot of facts which I had no idea about).​
    Anyone who is finding it difficult to practice Sandhyavandanam regularly will try to do it more frequently than currently being followed.​
    One best example is me. Me being a Brahmachari, am already Sandhyavandanam almost regularly and also am trying to do Samidhadaanam whenever I am in day shift.​
    And for the women readers, no need to worry that you are/will not able to practice Sandhyavandanam.​
    I shall suggest alternate ways to enable you travel in the same path towards the ultimate goal of enlightenment.​
    After all, it is about Swa-dharma Paripalana for all of us!!​

The Varna Dharmam States that there are specific duties to be performed by Dwijas (One is the life before Poonal and the one after Brahmopadesam is considered as a second life. Hence the name Dwijas- The ones with two life).​
    Brahmopadesam= Brahma+Upadesam (The upadesam made in order to realize the Supreme Brahman).​
    The relation ship between man and Dharma is similar to that of soul and body. A body without a soul is a corpse. Similarly, a man without Dharma is equal to a corpse.​
    The daily duties that are required to be performed by the Dwijas is said to be ‘Anhikam’.​
    Sandhyavandanam, Samidhadanam (for brahmacharis) , Agihothram (for grihasthas), Vaisvadevam, Brahmayagnam, Veda Adhyayanam, deva pooja are considered Nithyanhikams (something that needs to be followed everyday).​
    It includes taking bath, performing the Sandhya, Japam, Homam, Reciting of Vedas, Pujas to deities, Annadanam etc.​
    Taking bath precedes everything. No karma should be performed without taking bath. Similarly is the Sandyavandanam. Also, any karma performed without performing Sandyavandanam is a waste. Sandyavandanam feeds its vibrations to all the other Karmas and increases the benefits out of such karmas.​
    Vipro Vrukshah Tasya Moolam Hi Sandhya!
    Mooley Chinney Naiva Pushpam Phalam Va!!”​
    (Dwija is like a tree. Sandhya is the root of the tree. If the roots are cut down, how will the tree prosper and how will we get fruits and flowers: Sastras).​
    It is to perform this Superior Karma that Upanayanam or Upanayana Deekshai is given to young Brahmachari kids of a Brahmin lineage. It is the Gayatri that is taught as Brahmopadesam and only after Brahmopadesam should the Sandyavandanaadi Anushtanams begin.​
    This Karma dissolves the daily sins performs out mind, body and speech. Only after your sins are dissolved should the other Karmas follow. Only then will the other Karmas yield full results. That is the reason Sandyavandanam precedes all other karmas.​
    When a Brahmopadesam is given, a Brahmachari undertakes a contract to perform, on the times prescribed by the Sastras, the Nithyanhikams without fail whatever obstacles come in the way. If we do not perform the Sandyavandanam, it is a sin in itself. ​
    Sandhyavandanam is a karma that pays respect to Adithya who nurtures all of us due to his rays and also gives us a sense of time.​
    Samidhadanam is a karma that pays respect to Agni, who gives us victory, fearlessness and Brahma Tejas.

BROUGHT TO YOU BY SUNKAN
    Similarly, Brahmayagnam pays respect to Devas, Rishis and Pitrus.​
    Sakalam Bhadram Ashnuthey”.
    (The performer derives all good things that are on offer).​
    Rishyo Deergha Sandhyathvath Deerghmayuh Avaapnuyuh!
    Praagnaam Yashascha Keerthishcha Brahmavarchasameva Cha!!”
    (The rishis who performed Sandyavandanam gained long life, sharp brain, good name, fame and brahmavarchas according to Manu).​

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Om Namah Sivaya

[​IMG]
    Yogaswami

SWAMI'S LETTERS

LETTER FROM KASI

"After wanderings far in an earnest quest, I came to Kasi and lo, I saw the Lord of Kasi--Viswanathan within my heart. Let not your hearts be troubled by wearisome pursuits. There is a fine saying that the herb that you have been searching assiduously lies at your feet within easy reach. In this place too, men live very much in the same manner as our people. There is nothing wonderful, nothing mysterious in this world. In this holy city of Benares , I have performed the rites and obsequies most solemnly for my countrymen who have lived in bygone yesterdays, and to those of today and even of the tomorrow. From henceforth, live in obedience to your inner spirit imbued with love for one another; and live in harmony with the world under the protecting shelter of His Feet."
    --Nathchintanai. 373.

[​IMG]
    Swami's mystic experience of Oneness at Kasi has been communicated by Bhagavat Adi Sri Sankararcharya also, in one of his well known poems called Kasi Pancaka, written in Benares . It describes the eminence of Kasi, the holiest of the holy cities of all Hindus. Sri Sankara identifies the Jivatman with the sacred city. The hymn like Swami's letter above, has a message for all pilgrims. At the journey's end, there awaits for the seeker the great discovery of realising the Lord as abiding in his inner sanctuary. Pilgrimages to sacred shrines, and purifactory baths in the sacred streams as the Ganga and Kauveri have been some of the cherished spiritual practices amongst the Hindus. Kasi has always been held by them in the highest veneration, from the Vedic age up to the present day.

A pilgrim is often found to create an exalted state of mind, and serves as a discipline in self denial and self-purity. The most significant award is the possesion of Santi (peace) and jnana (knowledge) which alone can lead man to realise within himself the divinity of his being.

He who gains this Awareness is considered to be the true pilgrim, and he enriches the lives of others, as did St. Appar who prompted by intense love, seeks the Lord who eludes the search of Brahma and Vishnu, till at last he finds Him in his heart.

The sacred Ganga on which is situated Kasi, is reputed to be a Jnanapravaha- -the stream of wisdom, which cleanses man of all impurities. What is known as the Manikarnika symbolises Santi--peace absolute, which results from the cessation of all mental activities, as a result of an act of surrender at His Feet. The Hindu considers the goal of life as one of self-realisation. Annapurani and Viswanath, the Lord of the entire Universe and the procreative Mother, represent in one aspect the discerning Wisdom and Conciousness, which are manifest in every individual. Thus everyone is himself Kasi. Kasi means 'to shine.'

A pilgrimage to the holy city of Kasi aims at directing our minds inwardly, to behold that which is the eternal Verity, and conveys to us the intimations of our own immortality. It guides us to look within and realise the Self. Given below a free rendering of the Kasi Pancaka, as it helps us to understand the full significance of Swami's Letter from Kasi.

[​IMG]
    KASI PANCAKA

"That Kasika am I of the nature of the realisation of the Self, the sacred manikarnika being supreme peace, arising from Manonivrtti; and the pure Ganga , the current of knowledge.

That Kasika am i of the nature of the realisation of Self
    which is pure existence, knowledge and bliss, which is of
    the nature of the Supreme Being, and on whom super-
    imposed shines this animate and inanimate world, the
    product of Maya's illusion, delightful to the mind.
    That Kasika am I of the nature of the realisation of Self
    which shines in all the five Kosas, where Bavani is
    Buddhi, residing in everybody, and where Siva, the all
    pervading witness is the Antaratman-- the ultimate Reality .
    He has indeed attained Kasi, who has known Kasi, where
    shines the effulgent One, who lights up everything.
    The body is Kasi. The stream of knowledge is the pervading
    Ganga; Bhakti and Sraddha form Gaya . The contemplation of
    the Feet of Guru is Prayaga. The Lord of all, the witness of
    the minds of everybody is the Antaratman. Thus if in my
    body is everything, what other place of pilgrimage is there
    for me?

--Bhagavat Adi Sri Sankaracharya.

8. LakNar

LakNar Senior IL'ite

Re: Great Devotees Of Lord Shiva

Dear Sunkan

Thanks for those wonderful divinely messages.. I have a great respect for Sri Adi Sankaracharya and you have motivated me to make a trip to Kasi though I am in my late 20s..

Thanks for the pictures..Reading the message itself gives solace to my wandering soul..

good post

Lakshmi

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Re: Great Devotees Of Lord Shiva

happy lakshmi,
    you are involved now itself, some are blessed with this feeling when very young and the journey will be fruitful i know...sunkan

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Genuine Bhakthi

Bhakti is eternal.

Genuine Bhakti

One night, Sree Rama was taking rest. He put his head on the lap of his beloved friend Sugreeva. Bhakta Hanuman and Angada were doing Paada-seva (pressing the feet) of Paramatma (Sree Rama). Lakshmana was arranging the weapons and guarding everyone.

Sri Rama’s sight was caught by the beautiful Pournami-Chandra (Full Moon). He saw the moon and said “can any one of you explain the dark regions in the moon?”

Every one expressed their opinions. They proved their arguments also. However Hanuman said “Moon is the perfect devotee of Maha Vishnu who is Neela-megha- syama (Blue cloudy dark complexioned) Since Paramatma is a Bhakta Varada (One who grants boons to devotees), He always stays in the hearts of devotees.

“Naaham vasaami vaikunThe na yogi hrudaye ravou,
    Madbhakta yatra gaayanti tatra tishTaami naarada”

Hence it is Sree Rama who is in the Moon’s heart. That is the reason Moon is able to give nectar and Aushadhas (Medicinal plants) to the world. This explains the dark region (because Sree Rama is Neela-megha- shyama).

Sri Rama felt extremely happy on observing the Bhakti of Hanuman. A true Bhakta (Devotee) recognizes and respects the Bhakti (Devotion) of others, as Hanuman did in the case of moon.

A true devotee should see Paramatma (The Supreme Spirit) in every thing, similar to Hanuman who could see in the Moon.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008