Shiv Ratri in Different parts of India-Reasons for Celebrating

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by shweta_mhatre, May 16, 2008.

1. shweta_mhatre

shweta_mhatre New IL'ite

Hi Ilites ,

As we know
    Maha Shivaratri is celebrated throughout the country; it is particularly popular in Uttar Pradesh. Maha Shivratri falls on the I3th (or I4th) day of the dark half of 'Phalgun' (February-March). The name means "the night of Shiva". The ceremonies take place chiefly at night. This is a festival observed in honour of Lord Shiva and it is believed that on this day Lord Shiva was married to Parvati.On this festival people worship 'Shiva - the Destroyer'. This night marks the night when Lord Shiva danced the 'Tandav'.

I also keep the fast even some ladies do keep the nirjala fast.In Maharashtra it is performed with great enthusiasm .
    But I really wonder what are the basic reasons behind this fast other than the betterment of husband.Can anyone post on the actual reasons for performing the fast.
    Even I have heard many husbands do keep the fast but in our caste it doesnt happen only that non veg food is not taken by the males of the family.

Any one from Himachal, Bihar or Bengal?? because I have heard Shivratri over there is performed with great interest.

Hope to listen from you more.

Shweta

2. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Hey Shweta!

You have started nice thread.
    As Mahashivratri Festival is also considered to be an extremely significant festival for hindus.

I remeber,when I was ummarried I did fast and Shiva Pooja to pray for a husband like Lord Shiva who is regarded as the ideal husband.I went Bhojpur,famous Shiv temple near Bhopal for getting good husband.

I guess my husband and in-laws come to see me we went Shiva temple only.I was praying "hey bhagwan rishta pakka ho jaye".:)

Now after marriage also I observe fast and perform Shiva Pooja with sincerity.Now the motive is different.I celebrate Maha Shivratei to appease Goddess Parvati who is also regarded as ‘Gaura’ - one who bestows marital bliss and long and prosperous married life.

All are welcome to put their thoughts and views

3. shweta_mhatre

shweta_mhatre New IL'ite

@Mrignayani

Good to know your experiences.
    I was never been out of my hometown during the Shiv Ratri puja and always use to put milk mater ghee on the Shiv Linga to a temple of our locality.
    so very eager to know how it is being celebrated in the other parts of the India and also it is great if people outside India also share their experiences.

4. nabanitapain

nabanitapain Senior IL'ite

Hi IL Friends,
    I do perform the Shiv Ratri every year even before I got married.But I dont go for the Nirjala fast.ITs too tough yaar. I pour milk ghee and water (dont get ganga water in USA) on Shiv linga at my home small mandir in empty stomach and then I feed on fruits and veg foods which does not contain rice also,because in bengalis rice is termed as non veg item when it comes up to pujas and all.

Nabanita

5. sudarshana

sudarshana New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I do perform Shiv Ratri very sincerely and sometimes I go for Nirjala Upvas also.I get a inner feeling to do the Vrat and I hardly feel the pain of it as it is known the Vrat is meant of our man of dreams...hehe....

6. manjeeta_kaur

manjeeta_kaur New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Nice Topic.
    IT is really nice to say that this is the only vrat which I used to do from my childhood that is also from a very young age .I love this festival very much and I enjoy doing it also and the reason behind it attracts me more.I still dream of my would be husband and I do this vrat with great dedication. Though Shiv Ratri is not that common among the punjabi's as Karwa chaut is ,but unlike Karwa Chaut ,Shiv ratri doesnt have the restriction that one has to be married to do it.

But I never did nirjala upvas...do anybody do that?it is really a very tough vrat if it is a nirjala.

More to hear from other friends also.