1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

shipping/freight cost from india to usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by radk, Dec 27, 2007.

1. radk

radk New IL'ite

hi
    i wanted to ship or by air some hsehold items and artifacts etc from india bombay to usa , i was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this
    what is the procedure and an average cost for either sending by air or by ship
    it it really feasible ?
    pls share your experiences
    thanks in advance

2. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

I had recieved gifts from India by frieght, but depending on their weight they charge for shipping. I was told it is pretty expensive.

Rithi

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

We got a container shipped from India to USA in 2005 .It contained our household goods including 2 king size beds,mattresses,dining table with chairs etc.It cost around $16,000.

4. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Wow! Shipping a container from India is pretty intresting.

For my wedding anniversary my in-laws sent us dhothi/saree and they paid Rs 2,000 on shipping (just found out from my hubby) and the worth fo the items are Rs 5,000.

Rithi

5. radk

radk New IL'ite

hi thanks for u replies
    i wanted to make sure is it 16000 Dollars or Rupees 16000 sunita
    well more replies would be appreciated

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

It is $16000(16000 dollars) that is about 13 or 14 lakhs in Rupees .

In our case,my husband's company picked up the charges so we were able to ship a lot of our household goods.Shipping or air freight is very expensive and I would suggest not doing it unless absolutely necessary.

7. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I have used postal air shipment - each pkg containing 5 KGs books.
    Ended up paying close to Rs.2000 - 5KG pkg. Delivered in US (New York) within 10 days.

Pls check the weight and type of your items. If they can be neatly packed in a big carton with a provision for viewing the contents from outside, then postal charges work out cheaper.

If yu have one container worth items t be shipped, better to use the ship-container. Delivery timeframe would be close to 1 to 1.5 month or so.

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Radk,

My husband works for a shipping company (not in India). I can get you some estimates on how much it will cost and other details. You might have to arrange with a packer who will pack and ship the goods. Give me a couple of days and I will give details. Please note that I cannot tell you exact details of shipping between India and US, but can give general info.

regards
    Vidya

9. radk

radk New IL'ite

thanks to all of u for info btw thanks vidya really appreciate that i could wait for a reply ..btw i may have around 150 -200 kgs if this helps
    it really depends on all your ans i will think whether its good idea to ship / friegth
    thanks all and wishes for a happynew yr to all of u

10. soccermom

soccermom New IL'ite

I think its best to ship it if its stuff you really need...200 kgs or so shld be about $ 600 in all if it fits in one cubic metre volume...approx, but air will be much more ( no figures tho it might be double)...which is ok if its household stuff that you really want to get over here..

:cheers