Shifting from International School to Local School

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by aparnam26, Oct 8, 2013.

1. aparnam26

aparnam26 New IL'ite

Dear All,
    My daughter is currently enrolled in GIIS in Grade 2. However, in the course of 1 or 2 years, I would like to admit her into a local school. I am aware that the term for local schools is from January to December whereas CBSE schools have it from April to May. Does that mean my daughter has to repeat the same grade if I shift her to a local school? Also if any of you would have taken Hindi as the Mother Tongue Language for local school, how did you find it in terms of difficulty, teaching etc?
    Appreciate your responses.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Aparna,

When shifting from to local school, the child's age as of that year is what will be considered for placing her in whichever grade, eg. child born in 2007 will be placed in P1 in 2014, irrespective of the month of birth. So most probably your will be repeating a grade.

Many local schools offer Hindi for mother tongue, it may or may not be during curriculum hours.

Dear SG ILs,
    Parents who have moved their child to local schools please respond to this thread. Also if your child is learning Hindi in local school, please share your experience. This will be of immense help to many.

Thank you :)

1 person likes this.