1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

SHE - Episode 6

Discussion in 'SHE - Serial Story' started by varalotti, May 31, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheer,

Absolutely no need to be sorry about hurting my feelings. What I have written is for public consumption and every one who has invested her valuable time to read it has an unfettered right to comment on it. Like the hotel-food which we have paid for and we have the right to say that it is lousy.

But I have been repeatedly telling all the ILites that Shalini is not the typical heroine, someone like the actress Devayani in a Tamil TV serial who is all good and hence has a Goddess like attitude to life and others.

Shalini, the heroine is arrogant, fast to the point of being rash, hurtful and angry. Only if we see her living her life in her own way we will be able to appreciate what life really means.

And Cheer, no story can "move well". It can either move slowly or fast. My kind request is that please do not have a parallel story line running on the back of your mind and compare this story with that. Just see how the story goes and tell me what you think of that.
    Thanks for being the very first to respond.
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Thanks ruchis for those kind words. There are many who can identify wit Shal; but there lies the problem. When the identification is too much, then they find Shal's actions distasteful.
    While some kind of identification cannot be avoided, I would suggest that you keep a little away from Shalini and simply enjoy her actions and her decisions.
    They may not be good; but they are sure enough different and hence interesting.
    Thanks ruchi once again.
    sridhar

3. varalotti

Dear Vandhana,

I replied to you once but thanks to some problem in the Net/my laptop/site, it simply vanished into thin air. And now I am replying you again.

Thanks for liking this episode. I had to stretch the death scene a little more only to bring out the character of Shiva. I wanted to show that he was a full human being apart from being a good father.

But these TV serials, oh my God! I would squarely blame our womenfolk. Those of orthodox homes do light the kuthuvilakku on a Friday evening, chant Lakshmi stotram and then come to sit before the TV to watch a blow by blow funeral scene. They also cry along with the actors. I dont know whether I should laugh or cry seeing that.

That Shiva had a shock was Doctor's guess. Grief can be as bad as shock and is sure to kill even an otherwise healthy man. Many years back I read a novel where a thirty plus guy faces the rudest shock in his life. He goes to bed and when he wakes up the next day he finds that his hair had gone grey.

Grief has its effects. So there would not be any more "shocks" for Shiva.

As of now, we have got a clearance from ATC for take off. I cant say the sky is clear or the tail wind favourable. But take off, we must.

regards,

4. varalotti

Dear Kamla,

Left to myself I want to write this as a mega-serial which like Anni or Chitthi or Kolangal can go on for years. For when I write so many things come to me. I originally wanted to finish it in 12 episodes of 2000 words each. But now I seem to exceed the word limit as well as the episode-limit. And with all that I am not able to justify and explain many actions taking place in the story. Poor me!

First, if Shal had strong reasons for divorce and she opts for it, well, there is nothing so special about it. Shal-Rishi marriage, to put it mildly is in twilight zone. Many women would prefer to stay in that marriage notwithstanding the fact that the husband-relationship is down to the minimum. I had narrated in my own way the state of her marriage. When Shal met the counsellor and when she takes a psychometric test.

Going out of a relationship which many women find acceptable is a special trait of Shalini. Whether it is good or bad, only the future can tell.

Since her Dad had emphasised about the choices, Shalini is now going full steam on that route. Let's see what happens.
    Love,

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  5. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Episode 6 is too fast for me. With mom and dad gone one after the other I am puzzled that Shalini needs no emotional support and the first thing that comes to her mind was divorce. I still cannot convince myself that divorce is the only option. May be something is wrong with me.

You seem to have brought out the tender side of Rishi in this episode. The question that pops in my mind is why Shalini cannot give Rishi a second chance. I hope she realises that before Rishi also goes out of her life. Let me wait and read episode 7 to see if I get some questions answered.

Love,

6. varalotti

Dear Viji,

You have every right to comment, Viji and there is no need to be apologetic. I have the outline of the story and I introduce some shocking event at the end of every episode so that people look forward to the next episode.

Well, Shal is not going for divorce for small things. She opts for that because there is no active relationship subsisting between her and her husband.
    Many women in her shoes, would have accepted that without questioning. But then I cannot be writing a novel about these women; for no one will be reading it. Shalini questions everything and takes decisions. I am not sure whether she is right. Only time alone can tell.
    So let's wait and see.
    regards,

7. kswati

kswati New IL'ite

Hi!

I surely can identify and respect the fiery spirit of Shalini, but the divorce philosophy is not digestable. Rishis character as portrayed till now no way gives the impression of being a bad or impossible or just cannot stand that person guy feeling. He is being portrayed thru shalinis mind as being unromantic, but cannot shalini work on it. And considering the fact shalini is intelligent, smart, good looking, dashing etc etc. cant she make her man interested romantically??? Divorce is not the solution, this appears
    unmatured!!!

:idontgetit:
    Every girl in her own way today is self made, fiery, independent etc etc, if everyone starts thinking like shalini , oh god!! Marriage is adjustments, marriage is mellowing down, marriage is patience and perseverance, marriage is trials and tribulations of daily life and still maintaining and working to maintain warm and loving feelings for each other. Isn't it??

Swati

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Only today I was able to read the serial fully. This time you have taken up a topic which isapt for today's life.
    I just love the characters shiva and Shalini- wish I could have been like them,bold and unconventional. May be I am not made of stronger stuff. There are people who resemble them.
    The story is really a sombre one, all sad feelings and tragedies. But still I feel that we get good insight into many marriages of today where no love is there. Money and position does not bring happiness or peace. And a marriage with out love or understanding is dead from day one.
    Many of our Indian women live a life like this. Only they are tied down by many factors like children, parents, soceity etc.
    You have brought out the empty feeling which Shalini gets in the Captain's house. When you cannot be yourself in a house, it is not a home. I can understand Shalini's feelings well.
    I just gave a standing ovation to you for the words which you have given in the second episode-

Contrary to what most men are prone to think, a woman’s first need is not security. It is not even love. It is freedom - the freedom to be truly herself and true to herself. Shiva belonged to the endangered and almost extinct sub-species of men who could really understand what a woman needs.

Golden words that every one should etch on their minds. Happiness is freedom to be oneself.
    It seems no wonder that she wants herself out of marriage. A true free spirit like her cannot tolerate such a too perfect husband.
    Now you have brought the story to a real turning point. I am waiting - for what you are about to give us.
    Really an excellent serial, Sridhar. I am seeing it in Tamil soon, what?

9. mythili

mythili Senior IL'ite

Dear varalotti sir,
    In the very first or so episode, there is a dialogue when Shal decided not to go to work, Rishi says 'dad would not like it' That was the moment I realized Rishi don't have a personality on his own and Shal is married to a daddy's boy.

I bet that Rishi will be surprised to hear the D word. I am sure he would not understand it because he was not aware of a problem.

If Rishi was asked about their marriage, perhaps he would say that all was well.

So the question is whether Shalini has taken an effort to improve their marriage. Apart from taking tests or going to the cousiler herself, what has she done to make their relationship better.
    Has she communicated to him about the issues?

All relationships in this world need effort. No pain, no gain.
    I hope she tries to make a last effort to bring some drastic changes before she goes ahead with her decisions. Once a decision is made, there cannot be a come back. She should not regret later in life that she did not try enough.

Already awaiting next episode...
    Love,
    Mythili

1 person likes this.
  10. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar sir, The episode brought tears in our eyes. Shiva's death has brought some void into the story. Little difficult to digest the last words of shal. When she was finding ways to repair or mend her dysfunctional marriage what is the reason for this sudden decision. Is it her father's death? Not able to make out. Want to read the complete story immediately. very difficult to resist.

Thanks and regards,

sujatha