Sex determination

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by blesyp, Apr 7, 2010.

1. blesyp

blesyp New IL'ite

Sex determination tests are illegal in India. This is to prevent female foeticide that became common in last 20 years.

But what about those who simply want to know the sex of the foetus? I would like to know what is the option as of now in India. Are there any exceptions to the above law?

I believe sex determination is not illegal in countries like U.S. So those of you based in U.S., What has been your experience? Did you get the information of sex of your child prehand from your docs? Or did you wait till delivery?

2. vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa Bronze IL'ite

hi Blesyp...
    In US determining the sex of the child is not illegal...you can know it before hand...but if you choose not to know, they won't tell you.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I used to work in an OB/GYN clinic and most American women know the sex of the kid before birth. They find out when other tests are done like ultrasound or amniocentesis. A lot like to know as they have time for deciding on a name or setting up sex specific nursuries or for buying the baby clothes. Some don't want to know and want to take a position that I will be happy whatever God gives me. Others look at it like a Christmas present. One thing about aborting babies, abortion from a medical standpoint should be avoided if possible as it can make it hard to carry later pregnancies if the cervix or other structure is inadvertantly damaged. Women that have repeated abortions can end up always having spontaneous miscarriages in the extreme cases.

4. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

i was very eager to know the gender of baby
    i am happy even if its a boy or gal but ya wish to know it and also can shop things before in hand but in india as its illegal no one informed us
    so i have 90 odd days to go for the surprise

5. suria

suria Silver IL'ite

ya its true!!
    but the coin has 2 sides!!:spin
    its happy even if its a boy or gal but ya wish to know but in other case whether rich or poor?!!:drowning
    if its sex is known girl beforehand, curse for it or its killed in some severe cases!!:rant:rant

so for all safety of the baby for it may b born anywhere !! we will wait for its arrival, rather 2 know it beforehand!:thumbsup