1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Severe nasal congestion (cold) for 5.5 months baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Rakhii, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, my dd has severe cold since 2 days. Actually she has this for the past 2 weeks and when we took her to her doc she said there is no cold remedy and that I just need to apply baby Vicks, use saline drops and suction ball to squeeze out the phlegm (is this the right spell?). Done that for 2 weeks with no improvement.

Yesterday for the first time I fed her mashed banana; later my MIL told me that it's not safe to feed banana when child has cold!
    Last night the congestion became so severe that she had a LOT of trouble breathing. We freaked out and took her to the emergency. There also the doctor checked her and told her that her lungs are clear and that thre is no cold medication for children this young. He told me to continue giving saline drops, vicks.

What shall I do? Worried sick :(

2. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

the doctors do not give anything unless it is in the lungs or has a bacterial infection.

keep giving her lot of fluids, rub vicks in her feet, put socks after that, try to do steaming, by opening hot shower in the bath room with doors closed, and sit there for 5 -10 minutes. I guess she will come out of it soon. use a humidifier in the room where she sleeps to assist with breathing.

good luck

3. priyaprem

priyaprem Bronze IL'ite

Rakhii,

Please be relieved to know that your daughter doesn't have any congestion in her lungs......Nasal congestion will take a minimum of 1 week- 14 days to go.......you priority should be- to loosen the mucus.....there are medicines for that.......There's one medicine called :-"Mucosolvant" which is very good for nasal congestion......i don't know whether it is available there.......My daughter off and now suffers from Nasal congestion (Even though her case is that she has adenoids....) so i'm somewhat always prepared to face it and always ready for the treatment...below are the steps i would take....

1.I start giving her the Medicine prescribed by my PED i.e.:- Mucosolvant
    2. Use nasal drops thrice a day
    3. Making her to inhale the steam (This is very good ....but you will certainly have a tough time with your DD) before sleeping.....
    4. Apply vicks on the sides of her Nose, chest, back and her feet.....

Her breathing trouble is due to her Nasal congestion......make her sleep little bit raised on her head.......

As your MIL said don't give Bananas......

Take one or two pepper ball, crush it , add one spoon of honey and mix it with luke warm water and make her to gulp it.......(A tough exercise.....but tell her that it is HONEY WATER.....and create stories around it....you know better...........)

After doing all that you could from your end....wait PATIENTLY for the recovery............

2 people like this.
  4. Rakhii

Vidukarth and Priya,
    Bought the humidifier and also applied Vicks, gave saline drops and tried to take the mucus out.
    It got progressively worse since morning. She now has fever (37.8) and vomiting after every meal.
    Taking her to the emergency now (again).

Priya, she is 5.5 months... She has no idea what juice is. I have been giving her just milk, gerber rice cereal and yesterday for the first time, banana. Woe it be a good idea to introduce pepper so soon? My ped might kill me for it!!

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

rakhii,

does she have acidity, and do check the color and smell of the mucus..if it is different definitely there could be some infection.. (i know it feels eeekk, but as a mom ..) and also is it running nose..

does she have any itching in the ear, i mean rubbing her ears or eyes..anyways do not attempt any home remedies.. vaporiser eases the nasal passage...

go to the doctor dear...

6. vidukarth

Rakhii,

Looks like she has some infection, may be ear infection, hence the fever. I guess the doctor may give anitbiotics now. It has happened almost everytime with my daughter. We take her to doctor for cold, doctor wouldn't give medicines as it wouldn't have got to the stage for bacterial infection. But with lot of mucus, not draining, it may goto the ears and she would catch fever. At that point they would give medicines. Give her lot of fluids and she would be okay. Fever may be there for2-3 days and will be very high at night. It will take atleast 3 -4 dose of antibiotics to kick in. They would advise to give medicine along with tylenol. Dont worry she will get better.

7. vidukarth

Hi Priya Prem,

How old is your DD? Mine is 3.5 years old and is having adenoids problem. No use of any medication. Doctor gave nasonex (nasal spray) and some different antibiotics, but not helping much. What is this mucussolvant?

We have been recommended to do adenoidectomy. though we haven't decided on it yet. We are planning to try homeopathy. Please pour in your thougths.

Ever since this problem started, she has been breathing through her mouth and has been biting her teeth at nights. We have to take her to the dentist for this.

Thanks

8. priyaprem

priyaprem Bronze IL'ite

Hey Rakkhi...i'm sorry i overlooked your DD's age don't go for pepper treatment or even steaming, and i don't think even you should give Mucosolvant...(anyways i know you wouldn't give until and unless Dr says so.....), My apologies for the same........

As Vidu said may be some infection.....anyways, your'e in safe hands....don't worry she will get well soon...i know it will be really unbearable for us to see our kids suffering especially when they are too small.......Will pray for her ......keep us posted.......

9. priyaprem

priyaprem Bronze IL'ite

Vidhu

My Daughter is 4.5 yrs old now......she was diagonised of adenoids when she was around 2 years.....as i addressed my concern for her mouth breathing, nasal congestion, and snoring......of course, my Ped here in Dubai suggested to remove the same, even though My ped back home in chennai suggested to wait.......i tried Homeopathy, which was very good, but during the course (after 8 months or so) she had some fever (even though it was not due to the Homeopathy medicine), so i discontinued it for a week .....and then i didn't start the course....fearing that may be it was due to Homeopathy (as these medicines start reacting lately....):bonk, and never started again.......

Infact i even went to the AVM Medical centre in Chennai to treat her for the same but the Anesthetics, suggested that her heamoglobin level was low and hence couldn't perform the surgery..........(ALL is for good......i beleive).

Then i completely stopped worrying about it and started to wait patiently for the right age to come......of course her nasal congestion will be more particularly during winter.....i never stopped her having ice cream, or even cold juices, infact i joined her in the swimming classes at her school.....may be that helped a lot in a way ...as of now she has stopped snoring and mouth breathing completely, and never had much nasal congestion last winter........and pronounciation of certain words which sually sounds very Nasal has been changed and now she pronounces normally......i'm now certain that the adenoids had shrunk in a considerable way......but to what extent i wouldn't know......probably i would take an x-ray again this time (as it had been more than 2 yrs) to find out when i visit back home.

But Vidhu....if you want to go for Homeopathy i would highly recommend so since
    she never even had any cold at the time of having Homeopathic medicines...may be it will work for sure but slow.........All the best!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Rakhii

Shanvy, Vidu and Priya, came back from the emergency. They asked me to give Tylenol for Fever( I was already doing that!). While I am elated that there is nothing in lungs, the fever just doesn't seem to go. Been more than 12 hours and it's still at 37.5.

Shanvy, ears were fine a few hours When he checked, unless something changed in the last 5 hours. Didn't ask her for eye infection! She has a red spot in her right eye :( should ask them again when I take her back.
    Her mucous seem to have a tiny touch of yellow tinge.

Yes Priya, bought the humidifier, hopefully it will start working in a day on her. My poor baby!
    Hub and I are taking turns holding her upright; if input her down, she has trouble breathing again.