1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Set your priorities straight......Just don't blame someone.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kitty123, Mar 19, 2010.

1. menakaa

menakaa Bronze IL'ite

hi kitty!
    yes, you are a very lucky person,,you could accomplish what many ladies could not,and I feel this was possible because your husband was ready for a change, but all men are not like this. :rant
    you know what,, some men very well know that their wife is not treated properly by his family members, but just keep quiet. this is mostly because they do not want to hurt their parents,,,afterall they have brought him up, and made him to be the man he is now......:idea
    they never understand, in todays world even women are brought up in the same way and so she too has a right to live happily. what matters to them is happiness of his parents,sisters,,etc etc etc and not his wife,,afterall he knows her only after marriage you see,,but his family:crazy
    this situation would change only if the attitude of men could be changed,,,,and this is not always possible::)
    its good that you have got a person who thinks maybe we have entered a new era of women liberation and changing world,,and so your priority fixation theorem worked.
    not all are this lucky

2. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Hi Maggi.. u back... whats on ur baby news.. B or G.. how ru coping with your ILs now?

Kitty I also have my priorities set.. and hence able to still live a married life.. but yes to keep it going you need a very very supportive DH and inlaws at a distance.. and not all ladies are in that setup or frame of mind.

I also feel that this should have been an explanation to your success but not a generic rule applicable to womenfolk.. we need to respect each lady & her situation. If all start setting priorities am sure judges will have to sit for extra hours... some are really not that lucky to set even one priority for themselves... and then their priority becomes to part ways.

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I don't think there are ANY generic rules we can apply to all womenfolk for exactly the reason you said - each woman has a unique situation. And I don't think that Kitty has said in any of her posts that she was laying down a mandate or prescribing to all of us how to live our lives.

What she is saying (from my interpretation), is to consider that maybe WE put too much of the power to run our own lives in the hands of husbands and in-laws. Instead, we may benefit more from realising early on our own capacity to direct our lives, and asserting ourselves to get what we want, which hopefully is to the benefit of the entire family, not just ourselves.

I don't know why this idea is so unpalatable, or is meeting with so much resistance.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Ansuya

It might be vice versa also isnt it??? why is it so unpalatable to accept the idea that might be the woman worked her best to fix things and might be she is giving it moer time or waiting for the right time to get things done her way or put her point across. (always being blunt or frank wont work)

I conveyed this before also, we all assume that woman dont try their best to lay down rules or work on setting priorities straight and just blame!!! but am sure they do try their best (ofcourse there are always exceptions on people who crib and crib without taking any action) to work and fix things..however all we say is ok you tried it didnt work out, so walk out...but walking out if their trials fail is not a good solution always (unless its an abusive relationship) some times giving in a bit and waiting with patience also works wonders. We have seen such success stories too

So lets not think there is one sure short solution or sure shot approach to fix marital issues. (just like you have said..)

I too appreciate OPs success story , but just because she was successful in fixing her problems till now, doesnt mean that all others are not trying or that allother want to play the blame game.

By the way marriage is a two way streeet we always have to remember that. Whatever husband/wife do..we need both hands to be successful. We cant just get something done and say its all because of ME. (then its not marriage at all) in marriage we talk about WE not Me.

Think about the same lady, where she had put across her points, set priorities but everytime she is being snubbed down, pointed at, given tough time, her every word and action has been totally cut out ...what she would do..either put up with it to give more time, find out ways to make her husband look at her point or QUIT the marriage. (Quitting marriage is not a piece of cake where you just pick it and go...that too takes lot of time and work and analysis)

So how it would be OPs success story? unless her husband also accepted and saw her point and supported her??? so its THEIR success story.

Not all husbands would support and understand the wife like OPs (specially in arranged marriages where there was no initial dating period ) We have to keep several factors in picture when we talk about woman empowerment. It wont come in a day or with one post or with one qeustion. It would come over time, with experience and after several trial and errors.

5. kitty123

kitty123 New IL'ite

THATS IT!! YOU GOT IT!! Thanks!!

I am happy atleast few ladies here are getting the point I am trying to make. Again, please do not mistake me. It is not a rule I am trying to impose here. It is my principle I am sharing with all.
    And for some posters telling time and again that ,,,,Hey, Kitty, You are lucky, you got an understanding husband.

Let me tell you, my dh is just like any other Indian man, if not all but some of them who think that a woman's place is right behind him and not next to him. As, I already said, my inlaws live just 10 mins from us and that explains how much my dh was dependent on them for support in the form of advise even on what kind of TV to buy, or what color refrigerator, where to invest money, what shares to buy etc. He never did any research on his part but it was very convenient to walk 15mins and seek dad's advise. He always feared that his decisions may fail and land him in trouble. He was a person with low self-confidence. I knew this early on while I was dating but I also knew that other than this flaw he was a suitable guy for me. And I needed to take on this challenge to show him his true worth.

It took me lot of effort to wean him off that habit. I had to show him that, he is indeed capable of making such decisions in life. He would flare up if there was anything in which I proved we did not need his parent's guidance. I think he felt kind of guilty for even thinking so independently now. After that it went on to other things in life like when the child was born, what to name the child, whom to invite for the naming ceremony etc etc. My FIL is a person who can change dh's mind very easily. Here, in my case, more than MIL I had a problem with FIL.
    FIL is just the opposite of dh regarding his confidence. And also he is a person who needs lot of attention. He cannot accept the fact that his son has grown up. He blamed me so many times as being an intruder.

In this situation, setting priorities comes. I could easily blame any of my state of mind on FIL's dominating nature. But that will not help me solve my issues. Why blame on FIL when my dh cannot think for himself. And why blame dh when I see where things are going wrong and I can set limits and correct the situation. Will that cause friction? Yes, surely! But I am ready to take that and I think it is needed for me to take that heat to set things in order in my house. Who else other than me can show my own dh where he is heading towards with this attitude of his?

Anyway, rudeness did not work for me to change dh. I had to make him see that he is no more with his parents and has a responsibility towards wife and child. He cannot depend on his parents especially his dad for things that he can handle himself. He realized to some extent but not before throwing hurt words at me saying I am behaving like a wife, who is trying to separate him from his parents. But, I knew that he is blinded by his foolishness and it was my duty to remove that blindfold.

The reason he felt he was indebted to his parents and more to his dad is earlier on in life, whatever decision it was like which college to go to, what course to take, etc etc, all was decided by his dad and ofcourse I have to admit that all those turned out to be excellent choices but the sad part is down that path, my dh never learned to make choices for himself. It was always his dad's direction and he simply followed.
    Now, did anything bad happen because of that?? NO! And that was exactly dh's point too. All these years dad decided for me and it was all for my good, then why now you find that wrong. Ofcourse, he thinks for our good. He accused me of being head strong, stubborn one.
    I had to convince him that his dad is not going to be there permanently available for us even in our old age. Dh should not be crippled by his extremely intelligent dad. In fact this was the toughest part because always truth is hard to accept by anyone.

It was not like all of a sudden, one fine morning, dh got up and said yes you are right. I am sorry for not understanding you, blah blah blah......
    Even now, we have that conflict sometimes where I have to gently remind him and assure him of his capabilities. So, please do not think it is a piece of cake for me.

Now, coming to my parents part. I need not explain further. An extremely orthodox couple who wished their daughter all good and wondered why their daughter cannot be like any other neighborhood girl regarding marriage. They questioned themselves so many times about their parenting. While all their other children turned out good, where did they go wrong with this one?

Even today, you know, my parents say I will realize only when my child grows up and gives me the same treatment that I gave them. It is hard for them to think anything differently and hence their frustration. Their minds are always clouded by what others will think, what will be relatives' comments etc etc. I don't blame them, that is their generation with limited exposure to the world.

We should be different and do things in a way where we can atleast sleep peacefully without the thought eating us away and the worry of ourselves being subjugated by our own people in our own famiy........ dh and in-laws.

6. SriVidya75

Kitty

This is what I was referring to...it does take lot of effort to change the habit of a grown up man...time taken to acheive this change might be less for some....and more for some!!! thats what we are suggesting you to accept!

Your thread title is quite diverting!!!it sounds as if DILs just blame inlaws for everything:)and that DILs dont have their own priorities set right and that the DILs themselves are lost souls:hide: (which is not true!!!) thats what we want you to consider.

Again hats off to you for your patience and acheivement. Hope every woman is able to make it success in bringing that much needed change one day!!

7. kitty123

kitty123 New IL'ite

Sri, Glad you got it! Pls read this from my above post. Most women here I find blame inlaws for things they can handle but are afraid to face the consequences, I guess.
    Sometimes women do not even give it a shot and blame on inlaws. Speak up frankly to your dh and set your house in order. OK if the situation goes to an extent where the inevitable happens, let us be prepared because to live a subjugated life or independent one is a choice we need to make.

So many women I come across choose to live subjugated life blaming it on interfering inlaws, unco-operative dh, to keep marriage, kids etc etc. Have they ever thought what they are losing by empowering people around them to run their life??

8. SriVidya75

Why do you think that woman here are blaming inlaws???...if thats your point of view..my view is I guess they are trying to vent off and might be sometimes writing whats in our mind will give clarity on what is the real problem...Sometimes telling people what we are going through and having a 3rd person see the situation from a different angle gives a fresh and clear picture...why not think this is what woman are doing here...instead of thinking and treating as if they are blaming inlaws

Also as I said earlier...empowerment wont come in a day/night or by forcing and pushing/pursuading.Each individuals patience and tolerance levels are different. You might walk out of the marriage, at a drop of a hat..but may be some woman wont! so if you think they are choosing to lead a subjugated life instead of quitting...it may not be right!!! Everyone has to go through and learn their own learnings from their own trial and errors and experiences. you cant stay follow step 1, 2 and 3 and your issues would get fixed...for some there might be more steps to follow, for some there might be a down time or hibernation that has to happen..but eventually am sure everyone wants to be there...empowered...So lets give other woman also the time to have their own learnings and reach that empowered stage rather than saying they are blaming and reasoning their inability to take action. Its not inability...sometimes no action also resolves lot of issues.

9. sangeeta2010

sangeeta2010 New IL'ite

Most people here are seeing this as OP saying that 'my way or highway' is the best policy. I don't think so. She is asking women to be more assertive of their rights.
    So many times we say oh! I could have been like that but my inlaws will not agree but my dh will not grant me that right. We give up way too fast. We become defensive of our actions. Even to some extent I am like that.
    Setting priorities means being assertive. But OP if only most of us knew our priorities. We live mostly for others than for ourselves and our happiness. Yes, we put power in the hands of others to run our lives and that is why this fate of ours.
    Isn't it easy to put the blame on inlaws than take responsibility and action.....ha! ha!. I do that sometimes.

10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Sangeeta, I think you have added a valuable insight into your own behaviour to this discussion in the words above. Thank you for your honesty. It is often hard to admit such things, and easier to shoot the messenger who points it out.

I also wanted to point out that the very definition of "being assertive" (for me, anyway) does not incorporate in-laws agreeing or husband granting the wife certain rights. To be assertive means not to let others dictate your own limits of personal space, freedom, and autonomy. Here is the dictionary definition, just so we're clear:

1. confident and direct in claiming one's rights or putting forward one's views (assertive - definition of assertive by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.)

I don't see Kitty saying anywhere that she insulted her husband, or threatened him with divorce, to get her point across. Instead, she has explained very nicely how she got him to see her point with reason, logic, and real-life examples. He then chose to start investing more in his marital relationship, and relying less on his father to direct every action in his life.

I also agree that not all husbands and in-laws will put up with an assertive wife, but that is not the point here (since we have agreed that Kitty is not prescribing a blanket "rule" for everyone). On a side note, perhaps this should be something women should try to find out about their prospective husbands/in-laws before they get married.

Kitty is not telling us how to control our in-laws or husbands; she is telling us how to modify our own behaviour and mindset in order to get what we want.

Here is something else that might prove useful:

Improving Assertive Behavior | LIVESTRONG.COM

The first part of the article, "What is Assertive Behaviour?" is particularly important in the context of this discussion we're having. I still feel Kitty's core message is being dismissed without full understanding. Hopefully, this article will shed more light on what truly assertive behaviour is - and it is not manipulating, nagging, controlling, bullying, insulting, threatening divorce or taking advantage of anyone else.

The other part of this article that is particularly important for us here on IL is the section, "Six Myths That Encourage Non-Assertive Behaviour". Look at Myth 4 (Obligation) and Myth 5 (Gender Role) - it seems crystal-clear to me that this sort of thinking is at the root of many of the problems we read about here, or face.