1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Servant Maid Issues

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by amnilakshmi, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I dont know what is the problem. more than 3 maids in a year. If i speak and mingle well with them they tend to take advantage and if i maintain distance they take a lot of leaves. Can someone let me know how to handle maids.
    Also, the household work is only for 40-45 min. and i do not trouble them much. As far as advantage is there are many instances like last time a maid came and started giving instructions on how a house should be run. This time the new maid came and started giving directions to my hubby to purchase things that are getting over at home like VIM and all. I dont know what to do . Any advise will be appreciated.

2. dhivyacc

dhivyacc Silver IL'ite

am also facing the same issues...
    may be experienced persons can shed some lights !!

3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

This is in response to the Op and the post in reply thereto. I have been fortunate in that, i have been having the same maid now, for nearly 20 years. From the issues, listed by you, i would say they are not of any major consequence if we know how to handle them. First thing is that maids are also humans, with the same sort of family issues, personal issues etc. Just because we are paying them to do our work, it does not mean that they just have to do their work and get out and not voice their opinions. As far as we are concerned, as the maid has been there for so long, she is almost family in that , she knows everything that is going on in our house. Only thing, we ensure that we dont keep valuables where they may be tempted , or discuss financial issues in front of them. Same way, i would suggest, in the beginning till the maid settles down, just be courteous and get your work done - neither too overly friendly not too cut and right. You can ignore things like suggestions to buy things etc. When things of use to them like clearing liquids, broom, mops etc need to be changed, it is natural for them to suggest getting new ones etc. You can go with it if u feel essential or say u will get it when required. No need to get upset about all this. Little things like giving them special items cooked on festival days etc, will make them feel some affection which will in turn lead to them working willingly for you. Nowadays maids and their families are also upwardly mobile, in the sense that they would be educating their children etc - alittle help occasionally has really helped in the long run i feel. Hope this helps. All the best

4. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

What you are saying is correct about maintaining balance between being too friendly that they take for granted. But some things are not really a problem.
    • It is absolutely natural for them to ask for vim/broom etc when it is getting over.We can't micromanage too much if they need that to do their work properly surely they will ask.
    • You can just advice/demonstrate them how to be more judicious in use and nothing more you can do.
    • They can decide in how the house is to be run in aspects that involve their work directly. If they are giving unsolicited advice about things that do not concern them, then you have to make it clear it's unacceptable.

One thing, we must treat all as equal- you can't expect to maintain strictness thinking she's a maid. Maintaining professional relationship is key.

• No need to be too friendly and talk about your life with them or in front of them also. Just be empathetic when needed.
    • After-all it is just a profession and service they are providing doesn't mean we have right to be strict or behave like master.
    • Think from their perspective- just a working lady like you with similar life and problems. Only difference is her work is much harder and pay much lesser.
    • Be compassionate if they really need leaves- after-all even our organised sector jobs provide us with many leaves apart form weekends.
    • In India, maids gets paid much less than they deserve. It may look like only 45 minutes a day work to you , but you would any-day prefer a 12 hour/day corporate job to doing their work in someone else's home, right? So have appreciation for that .
    • A little bit of compassion and gestures on special occasions go a long way.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  5. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi Joyloki,

First of all, thanks for your input. Secondly, Sorry you have misunderstood the situation. I will explain with an example.
    1 maid joined and she started working. third day she says i should use a plastic cover for the dustbins ( the one used in companies). I didnt react. next day she said there is soap is getting over. I told her i will get it before tomorrow morning. My hubby was going for walk that time and he informed me.. maid overheard this and started telling me to ask my hubby to get soap. I told her, - not to worry, she will get whatever she wants before she comes for the next day's work. Then she started yelling behind my hubby to get the required stuff. Thank god, he didnt hear her. next few days, went by and then one day there was a guest (my hubby's friend ) at home.. He was standing and chatting. She came up to the room and rudely instructed the guest to swtich off the fan and move out of the room so that she could do her work.

I got another maid .. this lady came up and first day itself started off saying the vessels I use are not of good quality and i should change it. She started commenting that my parenting is not good and gave her advise. FYI- she is younger to me by 8 years. I had prepared coconut rice for my kid(for school), she opened the cooker and started commenting that variety rice always to placed on a newspaper under the fan after it is cooked so that teh grains remain apart. One fine day, i asked her if she can wash the pooja things for me.. Before she could say anything she got a call and i put the vessels on the sink, she used abusive language. I didnt react. Next day, my hubby had to go to get milk as the milk man didnt come, it was 7 AM and she reacted to him saying that he is not responsible enough and that if milk is not there he should get it as it was getting delayed for her to drink. Even though she said this in an amusing manner as if she was playing with him,, i didnt like it... These are small instances but i am unable to handle them. I have now asked her to leave as things are going on piling up .. looking for a new one ..

Please advise.. I have many more instances.. if you want some more - will let you know

6. nakshatra1

From your response, it looks like your husband might have given some vibe to the maids that they can take him for granted.Generally men in the house maintain a very grave attitude and absolute distance from maids. Whatever tiff happens only between the lady of the house. Usually men would never intervene unless some very serious issue. nor do the maids speak to the men that way. (Unless the man is primarily managing the maids in some house that's a different case).
    If it has repeated with multiple maids, you need to ask your DH to check his behavior in front of maids (towards them or even towards you).

yellowmango and Sandycandy like this.
  7. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

I manage maids. He doesnt intervene in our affairs. He doesnt even know their pay. Generally he will be reading newspaper while maid is doing her work.

8. nakshatra1

In that case I find fault with the maid only, especially the second one is weird to call your husband irresponsible and all.Glad you asked her to leave.I found major problems with the second maid only so you can't blame yourself just your luck that a maid turns out like that.
    First maid was somewhat fine and the situations described are not so uncommon and you could ignore.

Sandycandy and joylokhi like this.
  9. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Getting a maid in my area is difficult and changing 3 maids a year seems to be uncommon. All are asking me to adjust but i am having sleepless nights as i am not able to digest such nuisance.

10. dhivyacc

dhivyacc Silver IL'ite

@amnilakshmi, i could understand your pain...since am sailing in the same boat.

to add some more fuel, my maid complained my dad about me stating 200% false information's (FYI the maid was from hometown and sent by my dad) she told that your daughter is very bad where as Son in Law is very good.
    He recorded all the conversations and he sent to me, when I heard , all the works stated as done by her were really done by my lil ones and me.

we should be very careful before choosing and also be to the point.
    I used to give 15-20 days of paid leaves.
    whenever we are going to home town (max 40 days once) - we use to book to and fro ticket for her so that she doesnot need to go alone or take care of things etc...
    apart from that my dad used to help her son and daughter in some way such as studies / jobs etc
    for my son;s birthday -some money + dress.
    for diwali - dress
    apart from that small things every month...needy items.

May be there are some more managerial things that am yet to learn.. in past 6 years, i changed 4 in-house maids..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.