1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sentosa Flower Show

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AkilaMani, Feb 5, 2011.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My kids woke up bright eyed, full of excitement that morning. Yes, we were going to Sentosa for the yearly flower show. My MIL and I woke up extra early to make pack lunch and snacks. I baked chocolate walnut cake and also packed up some Milo and chips for the kids. We were just finishing up the lemon rice and curd rice packing when the kids ran into the kitchen shouting “Sentosa!! Sentosa!!” We laughed seeing their bright faces full of excitement.

“Amma can we take our sand toys? Are we visiting the Songs of the Sea? We are going to the Dolphin Show right? Of course, we will see the underwater world, am I right amma?”

I rolled my eyes. Though I had explained to them a million times that we were not going to any of those places, they were secretly wishing that I would take them there.

“No dear. We are not going to the beach or to any of the shows at Sentosa. We are going there for the Flower Show and Flower Show only. I am sure you will have enough fun there” I said.

We quickly finished our breakfast of hot idlies and groundnut chutney and got ready to go. “I want to take picture” said my elder daughter. “I too want to take pictures” said the younger one. “Ok, you both will have to take turns taking picture with the digital camera” I said. My hubby latched a leash to the camera that could be hung around their neck, bless him, I was so worried that they might drop the camera.

Though it was the first day of the flower show, I was hopeful that the crowd would be less since it was the first day of Chinese New Year. I couldn’t have been more wrong. There was a huge crowd, mostly Chinese and a few Indians and Europeans. When we reached Vivo city to board the monorail to Sentosa, we saw a man holding a big banner indicating that there was a 45-minute wait for the monorail and an alternative was to use the broadwalk. Not wanting to wait so long, we decided to walk. I was glad we did that, because the whole walk way was decorated with beautiful flower arrangements and there were travellators all along the way. We stopped at many places along the way to take photos of the beautiful flower and the scenery.

I could go on and on about the flower show, but I think it would be best to just show you.

View attachment 130308

View attachment 130309

View attachment 130310

View attachment 130311

View attachment 130312

For more photos http://www.indusladies.com/forums/drawings-sketchings-photography/124641-sentosa-flower-show.html

2. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Great pictures. Brings back memories of my trip to Singapore in 1994. I was jet-lagged and slept on the beach in Sentosa for about 3 hours. Felt completely safe too.

3. AkilaMani

Dear sojourner,

Thank you. really glad you like the pictures.

Akila

4. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Akila ,
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. It would be great if you had given some anecdotes with each picture so that I could have had a virtual vist of the flower show

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Akila,
    Nice pics, just went through the pics in the link. The snake one, pineapple al are great. Because of you,now I have had a chance to see the Sentosa flower show too.

6. AkilaMani

Dear nitya,

Thanks. Yeah. it should have added some anecdotes with the pics, but i was just too keen on posting the pics that i totally forgot about writing anything about them. thanks for pointing it out. i will definitely do it when i post pics the next time.

aff
    akila

7. AkilaMani

Dear ami,

Thanks for dropping by with the sweet comment. I really wish i written a few lines about each picture to make them more real for everyone.... i am unable to edit it now though. thanks again for stepping in.

aff
    Akila

8. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Beautiful pictures, amazing clarity!!! Very nicely written Akila. There could have been no better words to convey the children's enthusiasm and happiness about visiting places :thumbsup

9. AkilaMani

Dear navs,

Thank you for dropping by dear. so glad you like the pics and the post :)

akila