secondary infertility - hypothyroid problem

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by bindupps, Jan 13, 2014.

1. bindupps

bindupps New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I am new to this forum. I am 32 yr old and have been actively trying for second kid since 1.5 years. I was having very regular periods, 28 day cycle but having other symptoms like tiredness, tension and was getting irritated easily. In July 2013 it was found that I am having hypothyroid (subclinical), below were my initial thyroid levels.

Free T4 level - 14.1 pmol/L
    Serum TSH level - 7.94 mu/L

Doctor put me on levothyroixine 25 mcg in Aug 2013. In Sep again blood test was done and below are the results.

Free T4 level - 14.4 pmol/L
    Serum TSH level - 6.21 mu/L

Doctor increased the med to 50 mcg as there was not much change in levels. In Oct again I have gone for blood test again.

Free T4 level - 19.1 pmol/L
    Serum TSH level - 2.33 mu/L

So I continued with 50 mcg but still not finding success in conceiving.
    Below are the blood reports which were taken in Jan 2014.

Free T4 level - 19.9 pmol/L
    Serum TSH level - 2.23 mu/L

My periods are very regular. Are my thyroid levels cam to normal? When I browsed in net I found that for getting conceived TSH should be between 1 and 2 only. Is that correct? Also my FT4 level seems to be not normal. Could somebody suggest on my case?

Thanks
    bindu

2. bindupps

bindupps New IL'ite

anybody on similar boat :)

3. Indianwife2000

Indianwife2000 Silver IL'ite

Hi Bindu,

I am in the same boat as you. I have been trying for the second kid for the past many months and have hypothyroidism. My doctor also put me on levothyroxine first but later changed it to Synthroid (saying that it is more effective).

Yes, as per endocrinologist and my RE, the TSH should be between 1 and 2 for women trying to get pregnant. Once you conceive, your TSH will be more closely monitored and they might increase your dosage. Right now your TSH is very close to the idea range, so I think your current dose (50mcg) is right. I don't have much idea about free T3 and T4 levels and as per my endocrinologist, these values are not much of significance since TSH is more sensitive to changes.

Since you have been actively trying for the past 1.5 years with no success, have you seen a doctor regarding this? Have you done some basic blood tests to rule out any fertility related problems? I conceived my first one very very easily and quickly, so I was sure that I wouldn't have any problem conceiving the second one.....but little did I know that I would be so wrong. I had many health issues in the past 3-4 years and hence trouble conceiving now. I hope your situation is not the same as mine but it is better to be safe than sorry....if you haven't already done basic tests and u/s, then I would say, get those done. See a doctor and then make a decision.

Good luck!!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. bindupps

bindupps New IL'ite

Hi Indianwife2000,

Yes my doctor did some blood tests along with Thyroid test initially. She said that all are so normal (harmone levels and all). Only TSH is slightly raised as she said. No other issues for concieving normally and fallopian tubes are also nornal without any blockage, as she said it is unexplained case. I din't really face any problem for conceiving first kid, it was quick and easily happened. My first kid is 5 yr old now, so I am worried when the second would happen.

Thank you for your reply. Good Luck for you too.