1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Second Foods

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sumanr, Jun 14, 2010.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

yes we do ramya...but i was trying to find a steel one, i hv seen it in some shops in coimbatore... yet to find one here...:)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, After his 7months of age, I used to puree 75% of his veg+dhal, mash the rest 25%, mix them and serve. Slowly increased the mashed proportion :)
    After that, he did well with Idli. Cereals too, easum - i mix half with smooth texture, the rest with little soft lumps, mix them and serve. He slowly got used up to tiny lumps.
    Next is overcooked parboiled rice in a plate. He messes up a lot, but tries to grab and eat too. Pincer grasp improves this way.
    For the past 2-3days, he takes bread toast, tiny bits in a plate. Yesterday ge grabbed DD's Vita Marie biscuit, ate tiny bits happily :)
    Each child has his/her own preferences wrt taste and texture, but slowly and progressively introducing textures help them.

Am comfortable using flat based big spoons for mashing :)

Yes Cindhuja, hand mashed food tastes better than mixie pureed :) All the best :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ramya, have you tried soft cooked table food, if your lo can hold it herself, like a steamed pieces of carrot/cauliflower, etc. I think what Pon says here works well.
    DS puked his gut out when he first ate idli :) and my mom and mil make really nice ones. DS never did/nor does well still on ununiform textures - he will lick the icing first from the cake and then eat the cake :-D They cope, so if your LO will not take second stage food, directly go to table food when she is ready for it.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

tikka,co incidently i tried it on her, i kept a few diced overcooked carrot, and one biscuit ... initially she kept nodding NO NO NO NO NO, but wen i was out of sight i saw her chewing on them!
    after a while i was back and she started again NO NO NO NO NO. weird! she feels bothered that momma is watching her grasp food?but she did enjoy feeding herself, when i was watching her from the kitchen!
    but oh boy what a mess it was, good that DH had kept a yoga mat under the highchair LOL

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Yeah pooh, its messy :) We make him sit on the floor, give him the plate, he happily sits and feeds himself, today its cooked, sliced sweet potatos :) But after 4-5 pieces, he bangs the plate, pats the food, paste the mess all over him and his sis too :( But gives a huge beaming smile about his achievement :)

6. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Pon/Pooh/Tikka - Thanks.
    DD spat the idly out and it was really soft. I am sure it was not the taste, it was the texture that she couldn't take.
    When I keep something on the plate she does not know it is for feeding ....she will put her hand and look at it and play with it...but not try to eat.
    As of now, she is OK only with pureed food except bananas.
    infact, she has one lower tooth popping up.

I gave her mashed idiappam with my hand today. She didn't like it so I gave her the ususal cerelac... but later she puked the entire thing.:hide:

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya then u wld hv to slow down on texture for now, maybe she is just not ready. sometimes if i dont mash the khichri really well, DD starts to nod vigorously like NO NO NO...:hide:
    but about table food, i had to teach her just like how i taught her sippy.i sat in front of her and ate and expressed YUMM! lol, she still didnt try but i left her alone with it and she ate in my absence!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  8. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

I am so worried if the steamed veggies, will make them choked.. Is it not dangerous..? as she has teeth now, I am worried what if she bites a piece and try to gulp it down without mashin it... ???

I think this is the reason she has not got used to texture till now.. Than her, I feel, I am not ready to give her the second food... :(((

Vidyaa

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Pooh/Pon/Tikka/All - Thanks. DD is better now with mashed food. She is still not able to handle stuff with varying textures and that are a little runny. I have her the usual pongal mashed with hands today and she was fine.

But she does not know to eat by herself. If I give her food, she takes it, sees it, mashes it and keeps looking at it. Finally she throws it away. She does not know to put it in her mouth. When I eat in front of her, she wants my hands to go into her mouth ....:bowdown

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

lol lol lol! what can i say.... :))