Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 1

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 21, 2010.

1. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

dear chitra mam

thanks a ton for your detailed information. it is really helpful. Even i used to feel, lot of customs which we follow do have scientific reasons, only our elders some time may not able to explain.

Likewise, in olden days, womens having periods are said to sit separately, not becoz they are unpurified or so but "IT gives a rest for the women, who otherwise used to do endless chores from morning till end, for the big families,like churning milk, making food, grinding etc etc.." Also during that time due to loss of blood, fatigue sets in if they indulge in hard works.

keep writing.

P.S. sometime back i read that you wont be writing much. but now i am happy,t hat you have started writing again.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Chitra, that you follow me in both my forums makes me very happy & yet another 'Thankyou God' for introducing IL to me! :)
    Love,
    C.

3. Chitvish

Dear Radhika, Welcome to this thread.
    Now the general awareness has reached such levels that nobody is prepared to follow customs blindly, just because our forefathers did them. But it is not possible to probe and find out the science behind every 'why'.
    Hence my humble attempt to explain, what little I can, with the help of a few books.
    For your PS, I can only say
    Man proposes - God disposes!!
    Thy will be done! :-D
    Love,
    C.

4. saktips

saktips Gold IL'ite

Hi Chitramam,
    I checked all the above links. Thank you ma for taking time to share those links. Its very useful.
    Bye.

5. mankan

mankan Gold IL'ite

thanks a lot ma'am for posting the scientific truth behind this,
    as i was not knowing so much.....but i am doing these all things since childhood when my mother taught me,and i have taught my daughter also.
    thanks again.

6. Chitvish

Dear mankan,
    Thanks.
    Though we observe many customs with faith, understanding the reason makes it more meaningful!
    More posts are coming - do stay tuned.
    Love,
    C

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    thanks a lot for this thread. These days, people follow many 'customs' without knowing the real reason behind this. But sadly, majority of these are superstitions developed all these years. I am happy that at least the ILiites would know the real reason behind the well meaning customs and traditions and will shun superstitions. I thank you again for the effort you take to share so many things with us.

8. Chitvish

Dear Varloo,
    I don't deny that there are more superstitions as well, which we blindly follow. This we do more out of fear or offending elders!
    Thanks for coming here!;:)
    Love,
    C.

9. leelagk

leelagk Gold IL'ite

i have been following all the steps mentioned by you for long years which i learnt from my MIL ...happy to know the scientific reason behind it...thanks chitrama...

10. Chitvish

Thanks for the FB, Leela :)
    Most of my generation MILs teach these - bu how many DILs follow them??:hide:
    Yo belong to a less common tribe! :biggrin2:
    Love,
    C