Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 1

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear saktips,
    Welcome to my forum!
    There are many things we do, followed in our culture, without knowing the reason. But, we enjoy doing them, if we know the answers to 'why'??!!
    Please read my (very) old posts
    Some customs
    Some customs (2)
    Some customs (3)
    Love,
    C.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

chithra amma

am sooo glad to read this thread....very informative..Also the above post with links to some customs have clarified some of the doubts i had recently. Thanks again

3. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Aunty!

Nice thread which prompts me to come up with questions asked by DD for which I don't think I have justifying answers (feel sorry for that).

1. Why do we knock our forehead on both sides (kuttufy) while saying Shuklaam Bharadharam Vishnum ......... ?

2. Why should we offer vetrilai paaku? Ofcourse manjal, kumkum are symbols of mangalakaram. What about vetrila paakku?

3. While sombody is sitting on the floor, why do they say that we are not supposed to walk across them i.e. thaandi pogapdaathu ... why?

Shall come back with more as and when she asks me?

4. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

dear mami,

very interesting thread and informative too. thanx for sharing those information. now a days even the grownups r following the rituals only if it has any scientific reason behind (though i personally don't like this). the explanation will really motivate those people.

5. Chitvish

Dear Pandusk,
    Thanks.
    I am planning to write about it. Right now take it that north is best avoided. Any other direction is fine.
    Love,
    C.

6. Chitvish

Dear SriVidya & Shree,
    Thanks for reading this.
    I have some old tamil books containing some information based on which I plan to write here. But, most of them have become outdated now in our custom, may not be relevant in today's life & not all reasonings are given.
    Some have been (I think!) followed more as a custom than with any rational significance.
    Love,
    C

7. Chitvish

I plan to cover as many topics, as I possibly can; but only if I am able to justify myself that the reasoning is acceptable today!

Love,
    C

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  8. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C,

Coming from the grand scientific-cultural person of the forum, this would be a vital thread to treasure. We are fortunate to have you share our practices with scientific/logical reasoning..!

I also checked the Customs threads you posted for Saktips. There is so much you have covered in your own practical and accomodative style...!

Looking forward to follow you here...!

-Gayathri.

9. Chitra Anand

Chitra Anand Bronze IL'ite

Thanks NS for this wonderful and informative thread.:bowdown

10. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    You are always generous with your compliments!
    These posts were all hidden as answers in so many threads. Jobless that I was, during my convalescence, I went thro' all my old posts & indexed them for reference.
    You are right -wherever we cannot give a scientific reasoning, if we can identify the logic behind it, we feel tempted to observe it. Not otherwise!
    thanks & love,
    C.