Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 1

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Why are we asked to turn to our right side in the morning on waking up and then get up from the bed?

Since elders always ask us to get up from the right side on waking up in the morning, let us analyse, why getting up on our left is not advised.
    There are two magnetic fields around our body. One circulates from the foot to the head and back from head to foot. The second field goes around our body circularly from the left side to the right front-wise and the other from right to the left around our back. The frequencies vary according to the body-movement.
    When the body moves in the opposite direction, the frequency decreases and the efficiency of our activity slows down. So it is believed that getting up on our right activates/optimizes our efficiency level. The present day scientific electro magnetic theory endorses this.

Why do we chant prayers when we wake up?

Deep sleep stage is bliss for every one of us. We wake up fresh, feeling well rested, ready for our day’s chores. In fact sleeping difficulty is even called a disease by name insomnia.
    Waking up early in the morning is best recommended. If we sleep beyond that time, our body develops laziness. It is also believed to bring in inauspiciousness to the individual. We must turn to our right, sit up and chant the following mantra holding both palms before our eyes.

Karagre Vasate Lakshmi Karmadhye Saraswati
    Karmule Tu Govindaha Prabhaate Karadarshanam

This is a Morning Prayer called “karadarshana”. One begins the day with this prayer. ‘kara” means the palm of the hand and it stands for the five karmendriyas, or the organs of action. While looking at the palm, one invokes the Lord in the form of various deities, thus sanctifying all the actions that will be done during the day. By acknowledging the Lord as the giver of the capacity to perform actions and as the giver of the fruits of those actions, one sanctifies the actions. Thus, one prays in the morning to reinforce the attitude that all actions are performed as a service to the Lord.
    Instead of jumping out of bed, if we sit and take time for chanting a prayer and get up from the bed, our blood circulation gets stabilized and that regulates our blood pressure also.

Why do we pay obeisance to Mother Earth (Bhooma devi), before getting up in the morning?

According to our shastras it is customary to recite the following mantra, before we get up from the bed.

Samudra vasane devi
    parvatha sthana mandithe
    Vishnu pathni namasthubyam
    paada sparsham kshamasvame

O mother earth, who has oceans as her clothes, mountains and forests as her body, who is the wife of the lord Vishnu, i bow to you, please forgive me as my feet are touching you!

We touch the ground with our hands and keep on our head, reverently. This is laughed at, as superstition by many! They know not how ignorant they are.
    When we sleep, our body experiences static or potential energy. When we get up, it changes to dynamic or kinetic energy because of the physical movement. When we bend down to touch the earth, static energy will be completely expelled from our system and kinetic energy will fill us up. When we first keep our feet on the ground, energy level descends and our stamina decreases. But, if we keep our hands on the earth, the energy level ascends and our body stamina increases doubly!!
    This is an unchallenged scientific truth!!

Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    10 people like this.

2. Hemakrishna

Hemakrishna New IL'ite

Dear Chitramma,
    Very informative and useful thread. Thank you for teaching us the important aspects of forgotten rituals. Will try to follow one by one.
    Love, Hema.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Chithu,

I am chanting both the slokas, but I don't touch the earth/ground. I will follow as you had mentioned, from now on..
    But one doubt..my bed is in such a position that I can get up only on the left side of me..:hide:..shall I roll back to the right side, get up and then get down the left side...sorry for asking this silly question :-(

sriniketan

4. Chitvish

Dear Hema,
    Welcome to this series, I am planning, with your first FB! You have posted it just 10 mtes after I posted!
    Does make me happy!!
    Thanks & love,
    C.

5. Chitvish

Dear Bhargavi,
    Thanks for your FB!
    On reading this post, an ILite friend phoned to me & already raised the same query!!
    How do I answer???:idea
    Roll to the right (making sure, whoever sleeps near you has already left the bed)!:hide:
    The question you have asked is not silly, but tricky for me to answer!!:rotfl
    Love,
    C

6. kutyma

kutyma Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithu Mam,
    thank u for your slokams.I am going to follow from today itself.:cheers

7. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Chithra Mam,
    It is a wonderful thread loaded with useful information.
    Thank you for enlightening us, ma

Kind regards

8. Chitvish

Dear Kutyma & KS,
    Thankyou both for your happy FBs!!
    Love,
    C.

9. saktips

saktips Gold IL'ite

Hi Chitramam,
    Very useful information. I woke up daily, by turning up on right side and then see my palms and pray to have a nice day. But I do not know the reason, just followed as my mother. Today I have learnt the reason behind it. I will follow the slokams and also touch the ground from now as you have mentioned. Thanks you ma for this information.

10. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi Chitrama,

thanks for such a informative post. Also, can you please share more details on which direction do we have to sleep, I mean place the head while sleeping and why?

1 person likes this.