Schools in chennai

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by jothi, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Sri2007

Sri2007 New IL'ite

Hi all,

I am a newcomer here. I have been a slient reader .You guys are doing a great job.
    I would like some information.We are currently in USA. I have a daughter born on may 2000. She is going to 2nd grade in US.We are planning to return to Chennai..But not sure when ..I looking for all the options. I work in IT(for an MNC company)..so will be working in one of their branches.(i dont know which location).
    I believe my daughter will be going to 6th grade in India in June 2010.She doenst know tamil , but can understand it.as i speak to her in tamil.I am trying to teach her before she comes there..I dont want to go for International schools.
    Here are my questions

1) is admission to 6th grade is difficult?
    2) How and when should i start approaching the schools .. I need to know the time frame so that i can plan my move to chennai according to that.
    3) Is admission to 8th grade difficult? -

Why I am asking this question is this:-
    - Since my daughter doesnt know tamil and Indian school system is different I thought of another option ..instead of putting her in 6th grade in one of the schools in chennai, I can put her in my native place(madurai) in a normal school and let her get used to the education system/tamil .In 2 yrs (6th,7th std) she would be trained well (with tutions and extra care) so that she would be ready for the schools/competetions in chennai.

4) What are the school timings??

Thanks a lot in advance
    Sri

2. Jyosna

Jyosna New IL'ite

Hi All,

I luckily found this informative site while looking out for schools around Tambaram.
    I am a Software Engineer put up in Kansas, US and am looking for schools for my niece who stays with her grandparents.She is supposed to go to the 2nd std this coming academic year. Currently she is in the 1st std, Jawahar Vidyalaya, Ashok Nagar.
    My parents are constructing a house in Guduvanchery, and till the construction is over they plan to stay at Tambaram and enroll her in a CBSE school that would be easily accessible from Guduvanchery as well. Can anyone give me pointers as to:
    1. Are there any good CBSE schools in Guduvanchery? (or)
    2. I know there are a couple of KVs,Boaz schools in Tambaram, but dunno if they offer any van facilities uptill Guduvanchery?
    3. How easy is it to get admission to the KVs...her parents/grandparents are not from the Govt sector. What about Boaz, is it a good school?

Would be glad if someone could help us out,

Best Regards,
    Jyosna Balgi.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hey jyosna,

Welcome to il. Check out cresent school, vandalur ..that would be the easiest accessible school for you. ask your parents to check that.

OR sushil hari vidyalaya, on the vandalur-kelambakkam road.

If you plan to send her to the same school from guduvanchery will it not be taxing. boaz is near to sembakkam and selaiyur...

It will be too taxing for a child going to 2nd.

this is myMy 2centsMy 2cents

4. Jyosna

Jyosna New IL'ite

Thanks so much Shanvy.

Are both sushil hari vidyalaya/ Cresent affiliated to cbse? And do they have van facilities to guduvanchery? My parents are trying out KVs and Boaz but have very less hopes about securing an admission.
    And did u mean commuting from Boaz, KV from Guduvanchery would be taxing?

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi jyosna

Since you were talking about transfering residence to guduvanchery i suggested crescent..and boaz is in sembakkam, and will it not be taxing for a s m all child to commute from sembakkam to guduvanchery

I don't know if they have a school bus..you have to ask your parents to check out.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

Two things to wait to answer your question. the same second language problem has been discussed many times. we request you to just go through the links..and do ask if you have any doubts later...

second, you were discussing about a project in padur, so you already have an idea about the area of residing in chennai..so the school will definitely be somewhere in the same vicnity..right??

So your tentative time of r2i is 2010..and your daughter will be 9+.so she will go to 5th/6th according to your idea. there are lot of schools which are understanding about the second language situation and willing to give coaching to children..well by 2010, i will not be suprised if there special tutors coaching r2i children is second languages...

If you are planning to come in 2010, don't you think 2008 is too early. please go through this link on school hunting and do come back with your questions...

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schoolgoers/18621-school-hunting.html

I would say you she can continue to study in the same school..rather than madurai and then chennai...

my 2 My 2centsMy 2centsMy 2cents

7. rupamudoi

rupamudoi New IL'ite

anyone knows anything about amazing kids school in ECR?
    best
    rupa

8. Jyosna

Jyosna New IL'ite

Shanthi,
    Just came by to Thank You!. We were unaware of this school SushilHari. We got the appln from that school yestday, and things look pretty positive as of now.

Have a great time!:thankyou2:
    Jyosna

9. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Hi ,

I am a recent ILite,I am so glad to browse thru all the messages. I am planning to return to Chennai and will be based at Jalladmpet. I went thru the Vael's Vidyashram website and information provided by Ilites. I have an eight year old daughter.

The school seems very suitable for my daughter who is currently studying in Melbourne Australia and will make the transition smoother.,

Can anybody please let me know how far is Injambakkam from Jalladampet and will the school offer admissions to people living at that distance and further?,transport facilities etc.I went thru some of the maps but I donot know that part of Chennai at all.
    Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Meera,

You are confusing vaels billabong and vels vidyashram. vaels is in injambakkam campus. vels is in pallavaram

And Jallidiampet is off pallikaranai...and i am not sure of the distance. but will it not be a little far off...to ecr injambakkam. do check the map again. if you assum sis danube or sindur park as a location and trace yourself through medavakkam road into sholinghur and then into ecr road towards injambakkam...it could come to 7/8 kms. but for a girl of 8 years will it not be too far, my perpective..you could check schools in the vicnity.

These are my own personal opinions and not advice.