1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saving is to clutter: as Throwaway is to Clean

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Oct 13, 2007.

1. presci

presci Senior IL'ite

Hi to you,
    In my case it is just the opposite. Whatever I find first I am tempted to throw out. You know I have one of the crazy habit of peeling the label from any bootle, the moment my hands land on it. Everybody used to tell I am real crazy. So no sooner an item comes to my home, the earlier it will leave my house. My husband in this case never throws anything out. He makes use of everything, he converts the shoe box to keep his shoe polish, brush etc. Like that he makes use of every small item. But don't keep too many things as you will have to find another house to keep your collections.
    Bye,
    Presci

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Here Iam again to identify with what you do. I love to collect thamboolam bags, crazy I know but what to do Espaeciialy the surukku pai kinds are my booty, then like Sunkan said these disposable containers so that need not remind that person, makes it embarassing. Spoons of differnt sizes so that when I fogert to carry one it does come in handy. The last precious thing that I have stashed away( sorry for making it sound like swiss bank money) is two disposable sandwich boxes, like you said too pretty to be thrown away. Ima planning to convert them into hairpin and comb holders.
    Not to forget old greeting cards, kids birthday stuff, those things top the list:thumbsup

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi AC,

What is this yaar, you are hitting here with topics that are very sore at home...right/left:tongue.

I try to close my conscience and clean when i see clutter. the good thing i do is if i collect this pet bottle,glass bottles and all i collect by the month end and give it to the garbage collector. he gets money out of that .
    (i have to thank veda on this. he is strict about not collecting these things)

hey i have seen my neighbours just slapping empty milk sachets on the wall near the sink. in all states...fungus, clean, sticky:eek and the man comes to collect it for money. i just throw it.......

I also agree with chitramam's negative energy concept.

Here i would share one snippet. it so happened when mil passed away, we had to clean the house. there were 12 boxes on the loft. i was so curious because it was not there last when i had cleaned. so just opened...OMG..OMG...there were this cutsy bottle in which mil used to get protein tablets... there were around 100 of them in a carton... (Each bottle of the protein used to come at 700rs.) so fil thought at least the bottle would be nice and useful later.. then 3 boxes of bournvita pet bottles. then u can imagine the rest.... with all this and vessels, and boxes, cots, fans,everything i think they could have got two/three girls married..by udavum karangal.... :)

I have seen these ladies who just sell these old sarees for vessels.. i really feel bad..those vessels are not going to be of much use..but it is a kind of itch/high to get a vessel for those sarees...(for me it is more like why dont you give it to some needy instead....)

(Veda says that all these perishable items come in bottles that cannot be used for more than once. even the water bottle - pets should not be used for a longer duration...)

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi AC,

What is this yaar, you are hitting here with topics that are very sore at home...right/left:tongue.

I try to close my conscience and clean when i see clutter. the good thing i do is if i collect this pet bottle,glass bottles and all i collect by the month end and give it to the garbage collector. he gets money out of that .
    (i have to thank veda on this. he is strict about not collecting these things)

hey i have seen my neighbours just slapping empty milk sachets on the wall near the sink. in all states...fungus, clean, sticky:eek and the man comes to collect it for money. i just throw it.......

I also agree with chitramam's negative energy concept.

Here i would share one snippet. it so happened when mil passed away, we had to clean the house. there were 12 boxes on the loft. i was so curious because it was not there last when i had cleaned. so just opened...OMG..OMG...there were this cutsy bottle in which mil used to get protein tablets... there were around 100 of them in a carton... (Each bottle of the protein used to come at 700rs.) so fil thought at least the bottle would be nice and useful later.. then 3 boxes of bournvita pet bottles. then u can imagine the rest.... with all this and vessels, and boxes, cots, fans,everything i think they could have got two/three girls married..by udavum karangal.... :)

I have seen these ladies who just sell these old sarees for vessels.. i really feel bad..those vessels are not going to be of much use..but it is a kind of itch/high to get a vessel for those sarees...(for me it is more like why dont you give it to some needy instead....)

(Veda says that all these perishable items come in bottles that cannot be used for more than once. even the water bottle - pets should not be used for a longer duration...)

5. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Like most of the ladies in this forum, i too have a big problem throwing things away. I use a few of them and try to not accumulate them-

I put Onions and garlic in the same basket. They used to Get mixed up all the time. So now, I Just put garlic in a plastic disposable box and put it in the same basket. It is now easy to find garlic, when I need it.

The transparent bottles- I put layers of dhals in it- Like I start with moong.I put about a handful,then I put thur dhal, then I put whole urad, then masoor...and go on till the bottle is full.

It Looks nice and makes a good show peice.

I get vegetables in a Thermocol plate- I use the plate to keep oil and stuff. I keep changing the plate every week.

I also throw away the stuff that I havent used in 3 or 4 months....Hard decision to make everytime, but since there is very limited storage space at my home, I make it a point to clean once in a while...

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL ladies
    Thank you all sooooooo much for your replies. You will not believe how happy i am to see there are others like me who will understand me. I was beginning to think something was wrong with me. Living with Men/boy i am one sided in my battle to save my "dubbas". To my credit I have to say that I do recycle each of them. But after seeing Chitvish pot maybe i should rethink.
    Shanthi Dear
    I wanted to write something and contibute in my small way. but was very hesitant to do so. So I started with my daily issues. I was really grateful to see someone is reading my thread and also kind enough to reply. I need to learn to reply to each post in time. was not sure what I was to do so accidently skipped some posts. Glad Veda mentioned the water bottle. will try not recycle it.
    Thank you ladies. I think we need to applaud ourselves for recycling hope you agree :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,

I am in the water industry for the past few years. From my knowledge of recycling of PET bottles/containers is not good for health. you all should be aware of the case in UAE where in the child died because of recyling pet waterbottles for her school water bottle. (now the schools dont allow children to use pet bottles in the middle east).

One more info...many of you would have seen the number mentioned inside the triangle. (the recycle symbol), upto 3 it is not reusable. so next time you get the urge to keep it check for the number.......

veda.

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi AC,
    Glad you started this thread. I too collect bottles of different sizes which might come in handy to keep all those powders, pickles, etc.
    When I first came over here, i used to clean all the containers irrespective of their materials like whether it is plastic or glass. I used to keep the peanut 'dabbas' icecream containers, etc. Only when cleaning i came to know that some are made up of 'attais'. nowadays i throw all these things without even bothering about them, but the bottles i have a soft corner for it.
    my co-sister would say that 'whenever i see a bottle i think of you'. See what an effect it had on my co-sister?:tongue
    i will keep one empty bottle of 'gatorade' to keep in check of my water-intake.
    i used to fill it up and keep a note of it.
    Now I am concerned about it because Veda has pointed out the triangle and the number. i rushed to check it but i couldn't find one, what to do Veda? Clear me.
    But i am using those 'dates containers' for keeping dry lentils.
    I had made up my mind to keep only 10 glass containers at most--but here again the confusion whether all the bottles or 10 each in different sizes:confused:

Sriniketan

9. achu

achu Bronze IL'ite

i too have this habit of "saving" all these dabbas/ containers, not only dabbas...but also a large pile of polythene bags ....n at times i carry these cute containers n also the polythene bags - thick n good ones to india ,my in-laws are deeply in luv with these [like me..:oops:]...
    due 2 lack of space in the kitchen,i at times stack 'm inside the cooking range -oven..:eek..n many a times 've purchased things on falling -in -luv with the cute containers..n my hubby dear's expression goes like this:bang:bang
    but this thread has made me to think...esp shanvy's -regarding the no. within the triangle -:evil:- oops! till this de 've not noticed it....thank u shanvy for sharing this wonderful information..

10. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Thankfully, I'm just the opposite -- I can't stand any box,container, bottle which is of not immediate usage. In fact, even dishwash liquid, oil cans, ketchup bottle etc. I can't wait till they are finished even ......I pour the last few ounces in a cup and throw the can away in garbage at once.Disposables from restaurants take-away, yoghurt dabbas,cheese containers,juice bottles etc. everything to recycle bin only. I just cannot be sure about the quality & hygiene of these boxes, so why store them :shock:at all ! My hubby used to collect any odds & ends for repair work like nails, hooks, plugs, wires etc. But since have never used any of the items he so carefully preserved, he also has thrown them all & become the same way -- nothing accumulates in our house. Only functional items are allowed ; no chance of 'maybe will be of use later...'. Even our son is growing up :tonguelike that.
    I use only Nescafe bottles as the glass is thick & good quality for storing masala powders, so max. at a time 2 of them will be in shelf, washed & waiting to be stored with the podis or chutney.
    For giving snacks/sweets to friends, neighbours I buy disposables as & when needed 'cos not that expensive anyway. Or if they are close, I give them in my rubbermaid dabba itself and 4 days later,remind them about returning it-- that's all.
    PET bottles also-- consume & immediately chucked in the bin. Plastic covers are already a nuisance to environment, esp. here in UAE, very good parks, hills, picnic areas are spoilt by these hazards. Camels, cows etc. unknowinly consume them & poor things suffocate & die.
    I just keep a max. of 4 medium grocery covers for re-using as trash covers in dustbin, better to throw out all immediately.