SAving for your child..

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Shanvy, Oct 23, 2007.

1. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Re: Save for Kid's Education

Hi

I will tell you what we did for our kids education

When my daughter was just 1 years old, we had so many choices like insurance, fixed deposits etc etc and we very badly wanted some savings for her future education , then (way back in 1996) we had a savings of 1.5 laks and we were thinking of various options and when we decided to buy a 30/ 50 plot in a well developing new layout.

By Gods grace more than we expected the price is gone up to nearly 20 lakhs and now my daughter is 14 years old and if she wants to abroad for higher education say after 8-9 years then we will happily sell the plot to finance her education.

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Blessed Dear

This is wonderful idea....yes we were also thinking of investing in some commercial realestate rather than putting in FD etc...not yet finalised but hopefully in a year or so planning to buy some commerical property...after seeing the results of your investment am feeling a bit confident:cheers

3. charmingpooh

charmingpooh Bronze IL'ite

ICICI smart kid

Hi ALL

I invested 50000rs PA in ICICI smart kid.. I am planning to take the money after 4 years.. compulsory for 3 years 2 pay the amount.. Anyone invested in ICICI smart kid protector plan? Ny feedback abt dis plan???

Cheers
    Poornima

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: ICICI smart kid

charmingpooh,

i think there is a soft print that says you have to pay atleast 3 years. and you can withdraw only after 5 years. i suppose yours is a single premium. i have seen that protector is going on ok. at 19.9rs.

if you try to withdraw, you are not going to get much as the exit load, administration charges and all are deducted..

5. gemini19

gemini19 New IL'ite

Investment suggestions needed!!!

Dear Pals,
    Need suggestions on investment option for by 4 months kido.I am looking in for long term say 15 to 20 years .interested in short terms too... hope many young moms would have made arrangements for their child's future do share with me the best options.... Thanks in advance for ur suggestions..

6. Tianna

Tianna Senior IL'ite

Investment for Infant Daughter

My DD is just 9 months old, Do I have any option of investing money in her name anything like Fixed Deposit or in any forms..

Let me put this. My FIL has started to invest in FD saying that SB account doesn't fetch good percentage of interest and moreover being a senior citizen he gets an extra 0.5% . So he has just transferred some good amount from our account to his name.. I want my money back without hurting as I don't have any complaints with him. A good man by heart who has backed me a lot during my hardships. The concerning point is that I don't trust my SIL's. As of now my FIL is not good in health, And I don't want my SIL's to claim that its their Dad's money in future. Extra Information - My DH is the nominee.

I have highlighted my DH stating that FD is not a clever idea but its on deaf ears.

Sorry for the long narration. Guess this had been put up in Relationship forum:hide:. Do I have any choice??? Please help me

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Investment for Infant Daughter

With so many banks offering different kids savings plan...which one do you prefer??? any suggestions? I see that ICICI Smart kid has been widely opted would anyone be able to give the details on it?

8. Devinaren

Devinaren New IL'ite

Re: Investment for Infant Daughter

ICICI smart kid is not ideal investment solution for kids. Never invest any unit-linked plan. Never mix insurance with investment. Reason for avoiding ULIP are
    1. Very high upfront charges. Always better to buy a ELSS mutual fund and a term insurance then buying a ULIP plan.
    2. Most ULIP plans have underperformed the market in past 2 years. Since one have already paid the charges upfront now you cannot switch to a different scheme.
    3. Now that the mutual fund entry load has been removed for direct application and service tax has been imposed on all ULIP charges, it makes ULIP much more expensive.

You can ask anybody who has invested in ULIP before few years to know the REAL return on their investment. So I would again suggest you strongly to avoid ULIP of any kind.

9. sukhanya

sukhanya New IL'ite

i've a 1 1/2 yrs old boy... when i was thinking abt savings for my son, i came to know a LIC policy named Jeevan Tarang.. This is actually a Whole Life Plan... when u invest 60k yearly for 10 or 15yrs, u will get a lumpsum amount after 10 or 15yrs... u can use that lumpsum money for kid's education... also from 15th year, till we die, we'll get yearly 60k... this will act as pension... mostly gals prefer this policy... i'm planning to go for this scheme... wat do u people say? any suggestions are welcome...

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sukhanya,

whole life participating and term insurance are two different concepts.

always opt for a term insurance than whole life. and just my opinion, don't mix investment/savings/insurance.