Saving for retirement

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by lahari, Dec 26, 2005.

1. lahari

lahari New IL'ite

ICan anyone help me please. If I deposit Rs.2000 a month for the next 25 years, how much would I have at the end of 25 years. Basically, I am trying to find out how much will I have at retirement based on what I save now. Please help.

2. shalini

shalini New IL'ite

3. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

hi

You need to decide where u r going to invest........there are various avenues like LIC, PPF, NSE, and now of late Mutual Funds and Shares............each one has some advantage....u can have a basket of investment so that ur risk is less.................in case u need any more details u can post a reply to this.............

4. uma

uma Senior IL'ite

Balancing current spending and future savings?

Something I read recently...

"For as long as Amy and I have worked, we've disagreed on whether we're saving enough. I always said no; Amy always said yes. So, early in the year I built a spreadsheet to calculate where we are financially in terms of our nest egg's ability to cover our future expenses. My goal was to show Amy that we need to save even more.

Instead, I discovered that Amy was right. We have been saving enough. Though my goal is still to be substantially overprepared so that we can spend excess cash on living a travel-heavy retirement, and not have to worry about money, I realize we have the opportunity to live a more memorable life today.

To that end, we've begun to shift some future spending into the present so that we can take trips as a family or pay for items that make today a bit more enjoyable.

Too often we spend our days saving without taking the time to measure where we are. But it does make sense to stop and smell the roses -- once you've counted your eggs. I want to be prepared for retirement, and we will be. I just don't want to arrive there realizing I never lived along the way."

5. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

Are we saving enough for retirement?

Hi All,

As we cross the 30+ mark in life, we start wondering whether we are saving enough for our retirement. In our parents time, they don't have to worry about retirement savings because sons took care of parents during old age. As we all know, that expectation is unrealistic in our times.

My question is, how do we know that we are saving enough for our retirement?

Bharthi

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

point to ponder

Hello Bharthi,

You have raised an important question. I often think of what we will do when we are old (not able to earn or work). And in these days of falling interest rates, this is a looming question. I don't know if it is worth saving small amounts by being frugal with household expenses- I assume those days of parsimony are gone. My husband has a couple of retirement insurance policies, still saving enough for post retirement is scary.

regards
    Vidya

7. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

hi all

there are some ways of doing it like some schemes in LIC, MF etc...If interested we can discuss on these.but not sure how much it would be useful to u all staying abroad........