Saturday2Sunday getaways from Chennai

Discussion in 'Travel' started by zingy, May 28, 2010.

1. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Hai,

nice informative post on Vedanthangal.
    The pictures are superb..

2. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

:thankyou2: gsaikripa.
    Credit for most of the photographs goes to my BIL and some clicks by my Sis

3. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for sharing such lovely information with all of us.
    Since we visit chennai for vacations, places like this will help us to take our family members and spend a lovely time with them too.

Lovely pics. Hope you keep visiting more places and keep posting them too if time permits.:)

Love,
    Parvathi.

4. zingy

Parusabari,
    True , a very place to spend quality time with family without the interference of TV,internet and ofcourse work stress. Kids will sure have gala time .We had a great time there and was reluctant to leave. Caretaker had to remind us many times before we left :)

5. zingy

No 2: Saturday2Sunday getaways from Chennai , Cool Cool Jamnamarthur

Next on the series is a place where temperature is never greater than 12 degree regardless of the time of the year or howmuch ever mercury soars high in other parts . Unbelievably :cool2: Isn't it ? It was atleast for me :). Now coming to our Place which is called Jamnamaruthur . As musical as the name sounds the place it also offers spectacular views with exhilarating experience for the visitors .Jamnamaruthur is located in Northen TamilNadu near Polur, Approxomately 130 kms from chennai which makes it about 4 hrs drive.

Highlights of the Place
    1)Javadhu hills and Amirdi forest: An excellent spot to trek and sweat with scenic beauty . It is not that high and dense as western ghats and also wild life is sparse.
    it does have its own share of hair pin bends and narrow roads.
    2)Bhiman Falls: About 5 kms from jamunanarathur is this magnificient falls which has water flowing june thru december almost 7 months . water flow is not very forceful and tremendous making it enjoyable experience for the people and for amateur swimmers too. The sunlight reflection on the falls is a treat to eyes
    3)Kollapan Lake : another main attraction, boat ride available at a meager cost. Scenic surrounding for photography and for the eyes too
    4)Kavalur observatory: This is 11 kms from Jamunamarathur is the is the biggest observatory in Asia maintained by Government of India It has The biggest telescope that is controlled by computers
    5)Melpatu:Situated on the highest peak of Javadu hills, is Melpattu village which offers Glass house constructed by british,herbal garden, Cave like houses (5000 years old)

Coming to the basic amenties of life
    Accomodation: Jamnamaruthur forest house and pwd house in herbal garden @ Javadhu hills , Need to get permission from DFO .
    District Forest Officer, Tiruvannamalai, +914175-223027, dfo.tntvm@nic.in
    you could also contact Saidapet Tamil Nadu Forest Department at +9144-24321174.
    It is very easy to book either we could visit in person . or send the fax/DD and follow up with a call

Food : Food is avaialble in forest guest house also there are small shops in jamnamaruthur . Please do stock up some snacks ,ready to eat stuff along with fruits

Transport : Bus # 148 (Bus fare around 25-30 Rs) plies frequently from chennai-polur with journey time of 3+ hrs . I have used this bus many times but used to get down in uthirameru which is about halfway (I dont know other bus details for sure there are more and frequent).From polur to Jamnamaruthur around 30 kms you have local option ehich is mini bus(Fare not more than 5-6 Rs). Stock up the fuel once you leave Polur if planning to use own vehicle which is a good option .

Nearby places :Andiyappanu for dam between 2 hills ,alangayam ,theertham known for shiva temple, Vaniayampadi famous for leather goods ( and also unani treatment for kidney failure)

Shopping : Not much and yes Javadhu used to very famous for sandalwood and possibly can shop@ herbal garden

We have postponed tour trip to october as I am currently in US for a short 6 week trip:-( and my BIL is recovering from ACL surgery . Will post firsthand information along with our picturs soon after our trip.

Pictures Courtesy:Hindu,chennaitrekkers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
    2 people like this.
  6. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear zingy

It was wonderful to know about jamnamaruthur. I have never heard of it till now. After reading your travelogue , I googled to find out more about it. It is given as a get away spot from yelagiri. I am planning for a weekend getaway place when my brotherinlaw and family visits chennai from US during month end. He has requested me to explore the options and finalise. I thought of pondy and almost decided it , when I hit upon your article on jamnamaruthur. My doubts are can we plan an entire weekend only on jamnamaruthur or can we club it with yelagiri ? How safe is this place, in the sense, will there be some families as tourists (apart from local villagers ?)

Thanks Radhi

7. zingy

Even I was not aware of it before .When I was seaching for the roads less travelled I came across this place in magazine and then did some homework to find out more. I could not give you firsthand information as I am yet to visit the place. I am planning in September after I come back.

If you are just planning for the weekend this will suffice as you have enough attractions like bhiman falls,lake,observatory,javadi hills etc .also you consider the nearby places I have listed . This is not a bustling place but it is a tourist spot so you will sure find some fellow tourist, trekkers, adventurist.

Have a nice trip and do post your experience

8. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Hai Zingy,

That was a great piece of info on JMaruthur. I have never heard of it.

Me too going on vacation the coming week. I shall try & make it to this wonderful place.

If I do manage to go, shall update.

Thank you Zingy.

9. zingy

:thankyou2: for the fb. Enjoy your trip and do update us

10. kavithabalaji

kavithabalaji New IL'ite

Hi

Ur post was very informative abt Jamnamaruthur, will def visit once we are back from US...

DO let us know if u come across such places...

Thanks for sharing.:)