1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sanjaya was the one who recited Bhagavad-Gita!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Mar 20, 2012.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Has this lady become mad? :crazy The whole world knows that Gita is a dialogue between Lord Krishna and Arjuna on the first day of the Kurushethra war. When Arjuna saw his relatives, gurus, and friends in the battle field as his opponents, his mind was filled with remorse and pity. He let his kandeepam slip from his hands. His hands and legs were shaking and his body was drenched with sweat. He told Lord Krishna that he did not want to fight. He did not want to rule a kingdom that would be achieved by killing acharyas, relatives and friends. He would rather go to forest and do tapasya.

Lord Krishna persuaded him by telling that his action was just and that he was destined to complete his work in the physical world. Being born as a shathriya he had to perform his duty whether he liked it or not. When this was happening at the battle field King Dhrithashtra sitting in his palace was worried about his sons and wanted to know what was happening at the battle-field.

Sanjaya the charioteer of Dhritharashtra was gifted of seeing events happening at a distance, a boon granted to him by the rishi Veda Vyasa. Dhrithashtra bade Sanjaya to tell him what was happening at the battle field.

Thus Sanjaya was narrating the dialogue between Arjuna and Lord Krishna from the first chapter Arjunavishatha yoga to the last Mokshasanyasa yoga.

Sanjaya was the most blessed one to see and hear directly all that was happening at Kurushethra and narrate it to Dhritharashtra.

The blind king Dhritharashtra was instrumental in creating this great and blissful opportunity to Sanjaya. :)

Now don't you agree with me? Hope that at least you will agree that Sanjaya was the first mortal to recite Bhagavad Gita after the Lord.

P.S. Please bear with me for my indulgence if I am wrong. :hide:

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Pushpa Mami I agreewith you.

My namaskarams to you and seek your blessings

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs. Srinivasan,

On this one, I have a different view as Lord Himself said clearly that the content of Bhagavad Gita was first recited to Surya, then to Manu and then to Iksvaku before it was recited to Arjuna. Moreover, the content of Bhagavad Gita is part and parcel of Sruti that was received by direct perception from the Lord by several realized souls for thousands and thousands of years.

Probably we could say that Sanjaya was the first person to listen to the Lord teaching Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna.

Please forgive me if my above view is found unsustainable and irrelevant as I still dwell in my ignorance.

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Viswa,
    Sorry for coming in late here. I was busy with a marriage function in our household for the past ten days.
    I fully agree with you and I was just expecting the comments from you differing with me.

In the Njanakarmasanyasa yoga, the fourth chapter of Bhagavad Gita Lord tells this to Arjuna and I just wanted to see if any one remembers this and points it out. You did it and I am very glad about it.
    Sanjaya was the first human other than Arjuna to hear Gita from Lord's mouth.
    Love,
    PS

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs.Srinivasan,

Very kind of your to respond to my fb. I definitely enjoy everyone of your post and I will continue to do in future as well.

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I agree with you, Ma..in this ..
    In this world, Sanjaya was the first reciter of The Bhagavad Gita.

Sriniketan

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    Thanks for supporting me.
    love,
    PS