Sales Insight - Ram, Rahim & Richard

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Thyagarajan, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: SELLING
    INSIGHT

Ram, Rahim & Richard :hello:
    Three sales engineers Ram, Rahim & Richard were in a group interview in a medium size company. All three equally qualified & experienced, the interviewer decided to assign them a sales challenge and the person who sold the most would be selected against existing single vacancy.

The challenge was to sell combs to the baldy monks at any temple in the Himalayan mountains.

"You have just 3 days, and the person who sells the most would fit the bill" the interviewer said.

Three days gone by, the three candidates back from sales and reported their results.
    Candidate Richard said, "I managed to sell only one comb. The baldy monk scolded me, saying I was openly mocking him. Disappointed, I gave up and left. But then it crossed my mind. Monk while talking to me was often scratching his bald pate.
    Scratching my head, I told him the comb would serve him to scratch his head and then he was convinced and bought a comb."
    Candidate Rahim said, "That's good, but I did better. I sold 10 combs.
    Excited, the interviewer asked, "How did you do it?"
    Rahim responded:
    "I observed that temple visitors had very messy hair because of the strong winds they faced while walking up the mountain toward the temple.
    I could easily convince the monk to offer free - the visitors - to each a comb so that they could tidy up their rebellious
    dishevelled hair on their head and thus show more respect during their worship."
    Candidate Ram known for his aplomb smiled a bit and then softly said, "Sir - I could sell slightly more than Rahim and Richard."
    Noting his calm and collected manner to respond, the interviewer was only agog to know- queried "That is wonderful. How you did that? How much did you sell?"
    "A thousand combs" replied Ram.

"Wow! Well. How did you do it"? the interviewer exclaimed.
    "I went to one of the largest temples in Himalayas and thanked the senior-most head monk for serving the people and providing them with a sacred place of worship.
    He was very kind and said he would like to thank and appreciate his visitors for their support and devotion.
    I then suggested that the best way would be to offer its visitors a memento.
    I showed him the wooden combs that I had carved with his oft quoted words on it and told him that worshipers visiting the temple & him would use the combs often daily and that act would serve them as a constant reminder to do always good deeds. He liked the idea and ordered a thousand combs".

Richard & Rahim shook hands with Ram said, "you are a lucky guy".

"Not really," the interviewer reacted.

"He had a plan, that's why he had the comb carved before his visit. Even if this temple didn't want it, surely another would."

Learning points:
    The three different candidates show the possibility of different levels of business performance:
    Candidate Richard displayed the most basic level, which is to meet the prospect's personal needs.

The monk with the itchy scalp had a personal need; It was specific to him alone.

Candidate Rahim shows the next level – anticipating and creating new needs for the prospect.

Perhaps the monk does not have an obvious need for the comb, but how can it still benefit him?
    When you can educate the prospect about the new possibilities and benefits for their business, you already outperform your competitors.
    Candidate Ram exemplifies - demonstrates the best level of all; an ongoing relationship resulting from repeat sales and referrals.
    Everyone was a winner, the monk, the worshippers - devotees - visitors, Mr Ram and the interviewer.
    Help your prospects benefit their prospects, to create maximum value.

Think of each prospect not as individuals, but also their contacts as a network beyond them.

Think of each customer as a lifetime-customer rather than a one-time sale.

Adapted from the sales Bible by Mr Kotler

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    nandinimithun likes this.