Sago Papad

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by coolsandy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I have seen these sago papads/vadiyams @ super markets. They are whole granule sago/tapioca/saggu biyyam. Upon deep frying, these granules puff like small balloons/

There is another version of this sago which is prepared by soaking n boiling it.. but in this version, the granules are completely boiled and just cannot be seen.

Does anyone know the first version, in which the granules can be seen completely?

TIA,
    Sandy

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Sandy,

To make the first version u need to soak sago in water overnight as u do it to make sago upma. I hope u understand u dont have to put lot of water. This is made by steaming so u can use idiyappam plates. Lightly grease your plates then spread one thin layer of sago on the plates. Then steam it until they sago pearl looks transparent. Dont forget to add salt. After steaming let it sool down then gently take out from plate and sun dry. This u can do in idli plates too. I hope u understand this.

enjoy papad making,
    Padma

3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

thanks a lot, padma.. will surely try it over this weekend... n will keep u posted with the pics :)

4. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

steaming in the idli plates gives about 25-30 papads at a time...how is it done in bulk?