1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sacrifice - Very touching Story

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by bhuvanaa2005, Jul 16, 2010.

1. bhuvanaa2005

bhuvanaa2005 Junior IL'ite

Finest Blog - 3rd Weekly Pick of July 2010

Venkatesh Balasubramaniam described about his booking of an air ticket for his dear father, his maiden flight, that brought forth a rush of emotions and made him realize how much we all take things for granted, when it comes to our own parents!

My parents were to leave for our native place and we all happily went to the airport to see them off. In fact, my father had never traveled by air before, so I just took this opportunity to make him experience the same. In spite of being asked to book train tickets, I got them tickets on Jet Airways. The moment I handed over the tickets to him, he was surprised to see that I had booked them by air.. The excitement was very apparent on his face, waiting for the time of travel. Just like a school boy, he was preparing himself on that day and was ready much ahead of time! At the airport, right from using the trolley for their luggage, the baggage check-in and asking for a window seat and restlessly waiting for the security check-in to happen, was an experience in itself. He was thoroughly enjoying himself and I too, was overwhelmed with joy watching him experience all these things.

As they were about to go in for the security check-in, he walked up to me with tears in his eyes and heartily thanked me, giving a warm hug. I could feel the emotions flowing down. It was not as if I had done something great, but the fact is, this meant a great deal to them. The word ‘thanks’, in a choked voice, still ring in my ears. I told him, there is absolutely no need to thank me. Enjoy the journey!

Thinking about the entire incident, I looked back at my life. As a child, how many dreams our parents have made come true, sacrificing their known & unknown dreams, desires & aspirations?
    We children, without understanding the financial situation, ask for new school bags, cricket bats, dresses, toys, outings, etc., when young & then all latest electronic gadgets, pocket money and what not, while in college, Irrespective of their affordability. Yet, they have always readily catered to all of our needs. Just to see a smile on our face.

Never did we realize those sacrifices, compromises & adjustments they had to make to accommodate many of our wishes? Never ever did we say ‘thanks’ for all that you have done for us? Never felt of asking them, do you wish or need anything special from Me!

Today, in the midst of growing our children & run for the money, quite often, we tend to forget our parents sacrifices and what they ignores to see when they were young!

I recollect, many times, when my parents had asked me some questions, I have actually answered back without patience. When my daughter asks me something, I have been very polite in answering. I realize now, how they would have felt at those moments. Indeed, old age is a second childhood calling for the same care, the same attention, as our own children. So must be the case with many of their wants.

Rather than my Dad saying me ‘thanks’, I would want to say ’sorry’ for making him wait so long for this small dream… Ask him, what else he would want to do, fulfill his wish & his unfulfilled wishes towards my Mother!

It just shouldn’t happen that they keep sacrificing for their grandchildren as well…

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Dear bhuvana, your story just reminded me of the first time I took dad with me on a flight trip. Initialilly, he resisted and said - why the need for all this, save your money, do something more useful to it (Being the same old daddy who puts you first and than himself).But I anyways did not dodge the plane and during the first flight,he was so happy and actually thanked me to make it possible for him to fly. I was so pleased and ashamed at the same time! (And you have so rightly pointed out, why)

You have rightfully said that often we take them so much for granted, that we forget that there still might be a wish in their minds and it is up to us now to take them ahead. (And god knows there are so many who,forget the wishes, are not even fulfilling the needs of their parents)

Thank you for the eye-opening post.

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

woww good one!! I am glad about one thing , me and my siblings ensured that we fulfill all the dreams of my parents...smallest to the biggest ones...sometimes even my parents forgot that they wanted that thing sometime back, but we ensure to surprise them and make them happy at every chance we get...i should say almost at every festival, birthday and anniversary occasions.

Am glad that god gave us that ability to keep our parents happy...hope all kids understand the crux of the story you have shared above...good one!

4. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

enjoyed reading
    very touching indeed

warm regards
    suresh