1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sabari's hospitality and Rama

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by hrastro, Feb 27, 2013.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx Arunarc for your feedback!
    and Sakthi akka!! I was waiting for your comments and fb on my post :) thanx for coming ! Om Sai Ram!!

2. plantscantalk

plantscantalk Gold IL'ite

I think the balavikas kids would love a teacher like HRaunty :) who'll entertain them with a variety of things and in so many different ways. You seem to possess a veritable cornucopia of skills in things which the kids love. Wonderful.

1 person likes this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

:redface: Now you're making me blush

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Wow, we have a great story teller amidst us hrastro??. it is an art, and i hope you are still taking classes for the kids.

the sabari upacharam always brings the vatsalyam and the culmination of a wait in front of my eyes. for me, it is more about sabari, waiting for rama on the word from matanga muni who tells her that it is not yet time for her to join him when he was to leave his body..that she was the one who deserved to see Rama. following the guru's orders, she waits. and her smarana of rama resonates around the plants, the animals..and i remember a lalitha geetham where the parrots, the plants, the cucukoo, the peacocks, greet him when he starts walking towards sabari.

A lady who was more than tapasvi..a story that teaches patience, bhakti.

Even tyagarajar was moved and describes sabari's fortune in one of his krithis.

entani nE varNintunu shabarI bhAgyam

dAntula vara kAntalu jagamanta nindi uNDagan

kanulAra sEvinci kammani phalamula nosagi tanuvu pulakarinca
    pAdayugamulaku mrokka ina kulapati samukhambuna punarAvrtti
    rahita padamunu bondina tyAgarAjanuturAli puNyamunu

2 people like this.
  5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx Shanvy, it is always a pleasure to receive an fb from you !!!

Nope, I dont take regular classes for the kids now, after I shifted, but do take requests for vedic maths classes and any kids when they have problems with their studies - usually parents in my circle cant handle maths, sanskrit, hindi for even 6th or 7th std and for senior classes maths, physics, chem, computers etc...

And I do plan some sessions during holidays for friends kids - 7-11 year olds, we have stories, quizzes, suryanamaskar, maths tricks and simple science experiments like purifying water, creating a live volcano, cleaning silver using electron transfer etc... !!!
    All this in addition to museum and planetarium and orphanage and zoo and circus visits with them !!!
    I enjoy them a lot!!!

Reg. Sabari, I think I heard that song during marghazi by priya sisters, Hari priya first explained the song and said about the whole forest resonating with the sounds and it stuck in my head :) and I built the story around it for the kids !!! Sabari represents waiting and longing to me !!!

6. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear harstro,

I have always been fascinated by the unconditional devotion of Shabari.

The fact that Lord Rama would visit her someday was enough for her to stick to her pure devotion.
    In Bhagavad Gita Lord Krishna says that your devotion becomes colorful and radiant when you love me unconditionally and with gratitude.
    Shabari has shown us this kind of devotion which we all need to learn.She never doubted or questioned once despite she had to wait longer period of time to be blessed by HIS darshan.

Love,
    Bhavna

1 person likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Well, you are quite the storyteller! I am glad that the tradition still exists. Amar Chitra Katha or DVDs are still not the same as a bedtime story!

In their quest to explain the world and find meaning, human beings have evolved a great capacity for myth-making. This myth is a very convenient way of rationalizing defeat at the hands of foreign invaders, but it is also a version of the interleaving of a million stories and characters that we see in our mythology. In the end everybody is only a few degrees of separation away from everyone else!!

This Queen Victoria as Shabari story reminds me of one of the most curious myths in modern times i.e. the Cargo Cult of John Frum in the islands of the South Pacific (esp. Vanuatu). Have you heard of it? If not, I will say no more and let you discover it!

(1) John Frum and the Cargo Cults • Damn Interesting
    (2) www.geocities.ws/skeptichume/JohnPrum.doc

Link#2 is an article from a 1995 issue of Harper's magazine - it's well worth reading. Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  8. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

OMG !! I flipped when I read this..... Just imagine, sweet, motherly 'vatsalya-purna' Shabri, being Queen Victoria, who ruled to bring (even if not intentionally) misery on her Lord's Bhoomi..... :rotfl

1 person likes this.
  9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx sokanasanah ! The tradition now continues in balvihar and balvikas classes and no longer at home with grandparents ! I remember an old DD program "dada dadi ki kahani " where the dadaji was Ashok Kumar ! He used to tell some good stories :)

Your links sound interesting ! I'll go through them and get back with comments :)

Shreya ! Yeah, I too totally flipped on reading that ! But when westerners write any book on Indian philosophy, they just try and link it up with their own history somehow or the other !!