1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Russian School of Mathematics

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by butterflyice, Mar 21, 2015.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@hrastro no..don't start on the bma books..they have for kids from class 1..money minting..education and parents feelings, and ambitions..all help..

3. asnmdirteha

asnmdirteha New IL'ite

Russian School of Mathematics works on solving math problem skills for the kids. It also has a pretty strict curriculum for the kids to follow which is beneficial for some kids that are suitable for its teaching style. RSM also has a great small class size so the kids do get more attention throughout the class. Some other curriculums that are more flexible and less stressful are ones like Beestar. Beestar also has a great GT (gifted and talented) program and also has a flexible curriculum that can be suitable for other learning styles.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

:hello:This truncated thread you hv re-opened nearly after 8 years when it was posted.
    This post about Russian method (s) to make kids learn acquire super skill for solving maths (chess) problems/puzzles and that engages them with alacrity reminded me a book that I got it for just 4 Annas ( one fourth of s rupee ) in 1961-62) as second hand from a platform (sidewalk) vendor. The title is Trachtenberg High Speed Basic Mathematics. For almost two days, I was gripped with its contents and adopted the method described in the book for ling multiplucation and division.
    The author was put behind bars in Russia by the German Adolf Hitler when T evolved this method to ensure he doesn't go mad. The method involves no stationery only memory.

Trachtenberg gave the world of mathematics some methods that has lighted up stoves in many local coaching centres, never doubted my own-back-then-coaching-days.
    For years in jail, I wonder how he - Trachtenberg - did compile in Hitler's time as POW - in holocaust camps!
    He did it of course not to lose his sanity.
    Happy MMXXIV.
    Regards
    Regards.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  5. asnmdirteha

asnmdirteha New IL'ite

Yes, I think that if RSM is still around, it is still worth discussing about even after years! I think that with how the kids have progressed and how their learning styles may have changed from what we are used to, perhaps RSM might not be the most suitable learning style for kids now!

6. Thyagarajan

I happen to read a problem in 1960s from a russian author: couple mr A & mrs B leaves daily home together from home driving at an average speed reach a spot where mrs B office is. Evening he picks her up from her office and reach home. They drive same route up and down. One day mrs B office closed for some reason an hour early instead of 5pm. She walks in direction toward home and met mr A in car at a spot. They reach home 40 minutes earlier than their usual time.
    Compute the time of their meeting on the road and for the duration mrs B walked. Also compare the average speed of car to the lady's speed if walking.
    I trust you enjoy solving this problem.
    I tag OP & other respondents in this thread.
    @butterflyice @jskls @lac @hrastro @asnmdirteha @Shanvy

7. Thyagarajan

I happen to read a problem in 1960s from a russian author: couple mr A & mrs B leaves daily home together from home driving at an average speed reach a spot where mrs B office is. Evening he picks her up from her office and reach home. They drive same route up and down. One day mrs B office closed for some reason an hour early instead of 5pm. She walks in direction toward home and met mr A in car at a spot. They reach home 40 minutes earlier than their usual time.
    Compute the time of their meeting on the road and for the duration mrs B walked. Also compare the average speed of car to the lady's speed if walking.
    I trust you enjoy solving this problem.
    I tag OP & other respondents in this thread.
    @butterflyice @jskls @Laks09 @Srama @rakhie