1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Road to Driving License

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SupriyaDinesh, Nov 17, 2007.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Immediately after landing in US from London, we could feel how important is to own a car.No car,no move.I was very disappointed after travelling in the luxury of Britains road and railways which was our car.
    After 2 months of search ,bought a car.Toyota camry and withing few weeks my hubby got his license.There is a strange procedure here in DMV(Department of Motor Vehicles),New jersey.A person with a valid driving license from his home country can drive in NJ after passing the vision and knowledge test.No need to take road test..:eek:mg:

Next it is my turn for getting license.Writing exam after many years and with a toddler brought me chills.I had totally lost in touch with books and exams.I took the Driving manual,looked easy.But I couldnt concentrate for more than few pages,as my mind was wandering to the household chores.This shook me,coz I am a 2 time gold medalist(one in UG and PG).Is it me ,the same person who enjoyed studying ,now dreading to face this simple test..bonk.
    The moment I take the manual,my son runs and grabs the book.. and starts turning pages..too young for driving.. tsk.OK..no book to read,atleast let me write online exams..I opened the webpage..my dear boy dropped the book and came running and started demanding to play his nursery rhymes in the laptop.. Oh no..
    With so many hurdles,somehow I passed the knowledge test.:queen
    But to my dismay my Indian drving license was rejected for some lame reason.. So yet to take my road test..
    Wish me luck ILites.

With regards,
    Supriya

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Best of luck, Supriya.
    I am also on the same boat as you are, waiting to get the 'real license'.

sriniketan

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi sriniketan,we'll wish luck to each other..

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Good Luck Supriya The vehicle is really very important. Without a mode of transportation we are really stuck. Unless you have good public transports. So good luck. You will pass in a breeze.

5. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

In this country, what I have learned is driving = freedom and independence. So, Supriya and Sri - hope you both succeed in getting your licenses soon - it is not hard. If 14 year old kids here can take this test, you can so easily pass it!!

6. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Hey Supriya,

All the Best!!!
    i got an IDP and after coming here simply passed the return test and got my drivers license, but still took some classes before hitting the road.
    shobana rightly said if u know driving u got the freedom in this country. especially in NJ i feel like transportation is not good at all.

hope u will have your license in your hand soon.

7. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Hi, Supriya

What I find regarding driver's license is that the rules and procedures vary from state to state. My daughter after graduating from University of Texas at Arlington moved to Phoenix for job and within two days she got the license and she started driving. In July when I went to meet her in Phoenix, she drove me to Grand Canyons and back. In Maryland, it takes about 6 months to get a proper driving license. You have to put in 120 hours of driving on the road after getting your learner's license or if you have already an International license. You have to drive with a driver having permanent license by your side.

8. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

TDU - rules must have changed in Maryland - I got my license when we lived there. I had a license from India (not an international one). I took the written test - my husband gave me a few lessons on the road and I took the road test. That was it - it sure has changed now!

9. anukvs

anukvs Senior IL'ite

Hi Supriya and Sri,

The driving test is much easier compared to the written test. (personal experience.. just got the driving license a couple of months back). If after a long gap, we can read and clear a writtentest, you can clear the driving test in a breeze.

All the best and welcome you new independence

10. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Ooops,
    For me it s a long pending task. 6 months ince I moved here and I have been a little lethargic. Husband drives all the time. Also he doesnt feel too safe trusting me to srive his car. here in Tx, I need to take a written test after which I can have an IP. Further I can give actual test anytime, and get the 'real license'.
    I dont like this place without having public transport system. My mobility is soo limited with this.
    It also concerns me that thye waste fuel whn people travel alone. One person per car !!