1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rights of women

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Candleart, May 21, 2009.

1. Candleart

Candleart Senior IL'ite

I have started this thread as I see a lot of women in trouble ,scared and unaware of their rights.I am not a lawyer but have managed to gather some legal points thru my bitter experiences.
    1 The wife cannot be evicted from her marital home, even during a divorce she has the right to stay there until suitable arrangement is made by the husband.
    2 She can claim maintenance and has to be financially supported by the husband even she is working after a divorce.
    3 She can apply for judicial separation and claim maintenance if divorce is not agreed upon.
    4 The father has to provide for the kids and their education after a divorce.
    5 Domestic violence is punishable under section 498A of the Indian Penal Code and the errant DH is sent to jail.It has to be used prudently as a reconciliation is nearly impossible later.
    6 A new law has been made to protect women against abuse of any kind from anyone and not only the DH.
    7 Women have equal rights in their parental property just like their brothers.They also have rights over their DHs property.
    8 Please take the help of a good lawyer who will give you proper advice.
    Smart men ill-treat their wives and force them to leave home as then it can be said that the wife deserted the marital home of her own free will.Of course if the situation gets very bad then she must leave.
    If a woman is illtreated in her marital home then she must keep her family/friends informed in case she requires help.There is no stigma attached to it .The offender should be ashamed and not the victim.
    Please be aware of your rights ,read the newspapers and womens magazines. The laws have been made for us and we should know about them.
    I am not trying to get everybody to law courts but I do not want other wifes to suffer like me as I had never paid attention to such news items myself. I suffered violence for the first time after twenty years of married life and was left devastated by the turn of events.Now I can speak some legal jargon and take my DH by the horns.My family and friends know about my problems and support me.Sorry for the loong post.:coffee

Last edited: May 21, 2009

2. chaitusri

chaitusri Silver IL'ite

Hi CA,

I can understand your situation and it is very helpful for the women who are really in need ...

3. Candleart

Candleart Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot for writing, 72 ilites and guests have read it and I am happy if someone finds solace in it. It is hardly a topic for discussion, its just info. Actually I had requested a legal sub-forum on legal help and added these pointers. It was suggested that I put it in married life and maybe help someone in distress:drowning!