Requirements to become a Teacher

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Aabhi, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi Everybody,

Iam currently doing my MBA through distance education. I choose Finance as my major in MBA (though I did not had accounts base) - My bachelor's was BBA. Currently Iam working as an Admin officer. Right from my childhood, I had interest in Teaching and I use to admire my teachers. Now, after so many years Iam In the process of diverting my career to Teaching in colleges or schools. What are the necessities for this. I've got few queries.

They are
    1) Will my MBA Finance is enough to get the lecturer's job, or should I continue going B.Ed or M.Ed degrees. I've heard many people, working as lecturers without B.Ed or M.Ed degress (just with masters).

2) If I choose schools, which subject may I teach. I am good in all business studies, but the schools do not have business studies as subjects. ?????

I am in dilemma. How can I proceed further in my path inorder to achieve my goal.

You valuable advices & tips are very much appreciated.

Thanks.......Awaiting...
    Aabhi

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear abhi,
    My first daughter is an ex maths teacher of Bishop Cottons boys in bangalore which is very reputed, and from my experience u need a UGC certificate or a Phd in the relevant subject to be a lecturer.

but if u want to teach in schools then maths seems to be a good subject and financial account should be there for ur degree, that is also a very lucrative one,any thing related with ur degree would do.

To begin with why dont u get some tutions in the house, this experience will give u an insight as to what u may face in the large scale in the school, even tutorials are a great place to start teaching as a career, because u need a good back up of experience in teaching, only then the good reputed schools will take u on a good salary, otherwise in the name of training u may have to start at a lower level... hope been of help..sunkan

3. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your quick reply Sunkan,

Good to know that your daughter used to work for Bishop's cotton Bangalore. Thanks for indicating the idea of taking tutions at home or tutorials to start up with my basic experience.

Iam having my options open, I shall also look into Phd seriously.

Thanks for your great assistance.

Shall welcome more from others....

4. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

hello Aabhi , very pleasant evening!

Interesting to know that you have dedicated your career path to teaching. Its really a great field to be in. My parents are professors and I have also taken tuition classes for std X, as the field leaves me spell bound.

Regarding your dilemma, you need to have a UGC approved certificate in order to serve in schools. But i think you are left with other options now a days. Why don't you involve yourself in online teaching?? The sector is booming. My mom takes online teaching too!! Please do refer the daily newspapers regarding call for. Its actually a good start to work from home and moreover you will gain experience too.

And for other details, i think Sunkan ji has given a detailed insight

Keep going and all the best:2thumbsup:

5. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your valuable reply Ramya. :mrgreen:

Online teaching sounds easy & convenient. I was always thinking online teachings were fake & does not work on a long run. Now by knowing that your mother does - it gives me some kind of trust. I would certainly make a try on it (searing online & papers). Meanwhile, please share with me some of the websites that your mom uses (if it's alright with you)

:thankyou2: once again. Have a great day.

6. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

hello Aabhi..

very pleasant and prosperous evening.

My mom actually did not employ or refer any website Aabhi. As i already said she was a teacher and later a principal at school, and she left
    the same to look after me during my 12th boards. After that she did not want to waste her time, hence she started her own coaching centre, but soon; she found it difficult to travel long distance from our place to that center. So those students who came to her there in the class did not want to dis-continue with her as she could fulfill their requirements.

So now she is taking online classes for them.

But i will surely skim through websites and let you know regarding the same as soon as i can.

Do not lose hope and confidence:) all bright days ahead:-D

7. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Oh...... thanks a million Ramya for your efforts to reply me. I truly appreciate. Amazed to see, how your mom's student's are getting benefit through internet.
    Technology.

We shall discuss further more. Bye for now pa. Best wishes

8. prabhabala

prabhabala Gold IL'ite

Hi Abhi,

Today there is lot of scope .
    online teaching, working part time in schools are all open to u.
    Sunkan & Ramya have given good tips.
    u can teach business studies in college or in schools or start a tuition centre or just take tuitions at home.

prabha

9. shyamc_86

shyamc_86 New IL'ite

Hi Aabhi,

I'm also sailing in a similar boat. I did my B.E in Electronics & Communication. I have a work experience of 1.5 years in TCS. But I asked myself if i was content with this job! Then i knew my inner self had always advised me to be a teacher in school. I am really interested in knowing the requirements for a teacher. Anyone who has an answer, kindly reply...Help me in achieving my dreams...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  10. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Dear Abhi & Shymc,

Well, what I personally suggest you both is …do to take up UGC exam. Try it. Some of my friends over in India have passed the exams & are now working in reputed colleges as Lectures. Initially, you may not be acknowledged in big institutes but later on with 2 or 3 yrs. experience you can get in through....

All the best.