1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Require Information regarding noodles

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Sravanthi28, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

hi,
    I have a query. My husband works in night shifts and he doesn't stay for dinner. So i feel less interested to cook after i come from work and i started depending on maggie noodles. i take nothing else for dinner except 1 share of maggie noodles. Is it not good for health ( it shows only very less percent of fat)?
    Can you please suggest me any other recipes or anyother food item which does not require much effort(with less fat)

thanks in advance

2. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi sravanthi,
    U can make easier tiffins like poha upma(with sprouts),wheat dosa,instant rice sevai(which practiaclly takes 10mins max)
    U can actaully chop veggies as soon u buy form market and put it in ziploc..U can also add veggies to maggi which makes it nutitious and i think u'll get hakka noodles inwhich u can add chopped veggies and make it like veg noodles
    HTH
    Ramya

3. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sravanthi,
    I have 2 children who r in college..whenever they ask for maggi I always ask them ..do u want 2 eat fevicol?
    the action is the same in the stomach..if only they cud make fevicol more tastier!!!..why do u not try wheat noodles with lots of vegetables..sprouts made into chaats..maybe brown bread..so many other options..
    Excuse my example but I still STICK to it:tongue

4. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

hi Ramya ,
    Thanks a lot for your immediate response. I will try those recipes suggested by you.

hi Archana,
    No offence taken. Thanks for your frank opinion.

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

arch174
    amybe you are mistaken. idont think ramen noodles are fevicol.
    its low in fat and you can add vegetables to make it nutritious too. or if you eat non-veg u can add that to make it more protein based.
    just my thougts.
    regards

6. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

hi Anand,
    I wanted that the bad effects shud STICK in the reader's memory hence the use of word f......
    earlier people used to eat white bread ..now everyone is opting for brown bread..& calling white bread a SPONGE..similarly instant noodles r full of chemicals (preservatives) alongwith refined flour..maybe if we prepare these noodles with 70-75% other stuff (veggies etc) the ill-affects will be reduced...all packed white noodles r cousins of each other..ek bada chor doosra chota chor..not much diff..maybe brown noodles from health shop shud be tried..

do write in...

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi,

Maggi and other noodles are loaded with preservatives. I have a friend whose daughter falls sick, if she eats noodles to which the masala (the one in the sachet)is added.

Try the healthy ones. our own rice noodles, atta noodles.

8. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I also want to add that the instant noodles contain MSG which is a carcinogenic substance. Eating these items should be restricted to 2/3 a month. We need to remember that making it healthy by adding vegetables, etc does not take away the MSG and other preservatives!

Some quick recipes are:
    1) You can pre-powder rice/dal with chillies and pepper and keep it. Make Uppuma with this by adding boiling water and then steaming it.
    2) Rawa pongal or Venpongal (we even keep rice and dhal mixed in right proportion so that all you need to do is to season, add rice/dhal mixture, water and pressure cook)
    3) Corn flakes - it is usually thought of as breakfast food - but no harm is having this in night if you are really tired of cooking. Kellogs has even come out with a flavour which has got Kanji mix in it. You can add some muesli in this to get some nice crunchy taste.

Cheers,

Sumathy

9. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

HI Shanvy & Sumathy,
    Thanx for support against 2 min noodle..
    hope this thread is always running so that ill-effects of this junk food stick in everybody's minds:mrgreen: