1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Requiem To Traditional Kerala Vegetarian Cuisine

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 13, 2023.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I am an avowed foodie and looooove my food. Apparently people who are born under the same 'nakshatram' as me are all foodies.

I enjoy all kinds of food. Am not partial to any one kind of cuisine. The kind of food I grew up eating was our Kerala vegetarian food with sambar, molgutal, mor kootan, thoran, avial and the like. I certainly enjoyed eating North Indian food (the spicier the better), Maharashtrian food and Italian food as a change from the home fare.

All visits to our family home in Kerala were replete with typical Kerala vegetarian fare. Obviously what one gets, one takes for granted. Never did I realize this was a luxury one got only at home. 2014 when I visited Cochin - the first time in Kerala when i was not at home - I was shocked to realize how difficult it was to find vegetarian food anywhere. That was followed by a trip to Waynad this Feb. Veg food when available was either the regular idli and dosa which one could get anywhere or badly made North Indian food. Any inquiries about the avial which was conspicuous by its absence would be met with a smile as if to say "Are you crazy?"

I was told that Thiruananthapuram was a place where one could find homes selling home made vegetarian food. Coming here for work, I was indeed hopeful of getting true blue Kerala fare. But no, even here it is the same story - Punjabi and Chinese food. Eventually I found one restaurant serving a 'mini' meal including about 7-8 dishes yesterday. The amount of rice they sent ... well i am not complaining. It will last me until tomorrow! Am just grateful for having finally gotten my daily quota of vegetables.

"Why does the West think Indian food is only 'curry' and 'chicken tikka masala' " was a question that used to always bother me. The answer is now clear. Even Kerala feels obliged to serve North Indian and Chinese food over the local Kerala fare. This is how culture, including culinery culture dies out. Avial, where art thou?

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Even though I am a Tamilian, I spent a year in Trivanandapuram for work and again Trinvandrum crossed my career path and spent another 3 months later in my career. What a delight it was to spend time in Trivanandapuram. The first time, I worked for Keltron and hence we had a canteen of our own in Keltron. They served delicious Kerala meal for lunch everyday. Initially, the rice was new to me but later I liked that taste so much. People were extraordinarily nice and never made me feel I was away from home. As a head of finance of my division, I had to directly pay those who bring in electronic items and hence I dealt a lot with the unions. They were all so nice to me always and treated me with a lot of respect.

The first stay was from 1987 to 1988 and at that time, Kerala food was plenty. Again I was in Thirvanandapuram in 1992 for a brief period. Visits to Ambalam is always a unique experience especially on festival days. My wife learned a few dishes and even now we enjoy some authentic Kerala food from time to time. :)

satchitananda likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Lucky you, Viswa! Times seem to have changed so drastically. Either one has to eat a sadya or sorry, no avial ! :-D Impossible to order just rice/chappati with one vegetable! Though you can certainly order chappati and North Indian veggie.

Yes, people are very kind. In fact I had a strange experience the other day. I was coming back from the temple in an auto rickshaw and asked the driver to stop for 5 minutes. The 5 minutes stretched to 10 mins and then to 15. When i came out, I found the guy had vamoosed. Could understand he must have been mad at the delay, but felt really bad about his having gone away without collecting his fare.

Two days back I went back to Padmanabha Swamy temple. I was told that typical Kerala food was cooked and sold by Mamis there. Unfortunately they seem to do so only in the afternoons and it is not possible for me to get there from work which ends only at 1.15. So while I was asking around, one lady led me to her neighbour who told me she had some kootu left from morning. I told her I'd be very happy to take it. I wanted to pay, but they absolutely refused to take any money for it.

It is nice to see well educated auto wallahs. I am struck by the greenery of the place, Kerala on the whole is an extremely clean state.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

No worries. I have many of my colleauges and friends still living in Trinvanandapuram and if I visit, they will provide a full traditional meal served in banana leaf. Only regret I have about Thiruvanandapuram stay was I missed all of that action of finding the treasure below the Temple. It happened much after I left Thiruvanandapuram. That excitement and discussion with varying opinion would have been excellent especially when it involves the King of Travancore. Billions of dollars? I am sure more such treasures are below major Temples if and only if, the government allows to dig deep underneath the Temples. One of the vault is yet to be opened perhaps it was closed with Mindlock similar to what Draupadi did after the humiliation encountered in Hasthinapuram.

[​IMG]

5. satchitananda

Yes, Viswa. I went to the temple for days of Auld Lang Syne. I had visited TVM as an 8 year old with my parents and had vague images of the temple in my mind and went looking for it. I found the place as well as the sand inside the temple precincts, but did not dare to ask about the treasures! Who knows where that kind of question would land me!!! Anyway, the rest was a far cry from the old days. Getting darshan was a crazy experience which left me feeling like a sugarcane which had been passed through a mill of human bodies. Not at all pleasant. Anyway, had my darshan and I shall rest satisfied with that for this lifetime.

As for the food, i am sure if I had a weekend in between, I could go to the area in the afternoon, buy some food and put it in the frig to last me for the week.

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. RRAJ

RRAJ Gold IL'ite

I am from TVM and you can get home cooked vegetarian food near Padmanabhaswamy temple. There are agraharam style houses there near to the temple and lot of mess and vegetarian hotels nearby in West fort area. Also if you go to Puthen Street(it's agraharam again) you can find Mani mess in third puthen street and lot of houses selling home made food.

7. satchitananda

Thanks a lot RRaj. I went there and found that te kind of food I was looking for is available only in the afternoons. Also I am put up very far from there. Next time, if I am here on a weekend, I can surely go in the afternoon and enjoy the fare.

RRAJ likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

Mother's Veg Plaza, Bakery Jct Rd, near Russian Cultural Center, Vanross, Palayam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695034, India.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. satchitananda

Wow! A definite must go!

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

My experience of visiting the Temple was surreal too but that was in 1987. They gave me a Dhoti to wear and asked me to remove my shirt. They strictly implement the dress code inside the Temple. But the good part is they allowed me to have a good dharshan of the main deity for a little longer those days. Crowd was not as bad as you described above. But the entire Agraharam around the Temple go everyday which itself is enough people visiting everyday.

I also visited an Amman Temple about 15 kms away from the main Temple and a Shirdi Baba Temple located about 10-15 kms away from Vellaymbalam where I lived.