1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reporting my change of heart!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya

But it pains that cynicism has been branded by you as the hallmark of the geriatric!

:notthatway:

I only mentioned "Geriatric" as adj. to the noun "wet blankets". So its the Wet Blankets, essentially, who are Cynics ( mod. meaning) ; of industrial strength , if geriatric.
    Dont I know there are some geriatrics who are NOT wetblankets at all; but are roly-poly laughing buddhas spreading joy and cheer! Thank heavens for such exceptional exceptions !

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi
    I concede your point and agree to share viji's affection on a 50:50 basis with you! My visit to CBE for the wedding was a very productive thing in the sense that I could understand Kamal more exhaustively! He has an amazing mental process and a lovable concept of life. We had so much to talk that we could hardly stir out of the room.

I admire the ancient cynics but not the modern ones. You can easily identify the modern cynic by a downward curve of their mouth caused by a constant scowl and disapproval of every thing. Pure altruism without even feeling good about it, as you say, is indeed rare. In Buddhism, if a person declares that he has banished all ego in himself, that declaration itself is taken as a proof of his remaining ego! Parent to child and child to parent is all of the same caregory in the modern times. They all have a hidden agenda!

Altruism is a BIG word. I don't even aspire to be altruistic. But aspiring for it may reduce our cynicism to some extent.Let's just be happy. We may not pass this way again as Cheeniya and Mindi. While we are here, why not try to make our journey as pleasant as possible?
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

My dear Kamal
    It was such a woderful time that we had at Coimbatore thanks to Subbu's daughter's wedding! You do not need any Fables because you are blessed with a sweet disposition. You exude such goodness that others who come in contact with you feel good too.

I am sure you think in English when you conceive your jokes because I have heard that 'Sindhi' jokes are unprintable! A word of caution for you. Don't start spreading around your messages of good and bad and become a spiritual Guru. IL doesn't want to lose you and Guru Vaswani may not like a competitor either!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

My dear Veda
    It is such a joy to see the 'better half'' of Shanthi after a pretty long time! While every other couple try to play the 'one-upmanship' all the time, both of you try to concede the 'better half' title to the other all the time. You remind me of Della and Jim in the immortal story 'The Gift of Magi' of O.Henry!

The three historical incidents that you have quoted are classic examples that Aesop cautioned us against about 2600 years back! Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa's Fables are very profound and but not moralizing. He leaves that part of the learning process to us.

Be in touch young man with this great well wisher of you.
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

My dear TL
    What was the need for this explanation as if I got offended by the word 'geriatric'!? But I must say that you have now made ample amends!:rotfl
    Sri

6. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri:

Time continues to be my worst enemy, despite the fact that my new found role as a pure "feedback-er" (as opposed to "grumblogger") has made my visits here a peaceful affair. Anyway, I came and found you today. Clearly, it is not possible for me to write a proper fb for this post till I have also read 'A Cynical Look at Cynics'. I have to consume it before it crosses over to the other side of my River of Oblivion. At my age, such things happen with alarming frequency.

In the meantime though, I thought it wouldn't hurt to leave an initial reaction on your 'Change of Heart'.

First, quite inconsequentially, the fable brought back to my mind Shylock saying: Woulds't thou have a serpent sting thee twice? May be not all that inconsequential really. It retains the spirit of the fable in a way I guess.

Second, I have to tell you that I disagree with you about cynics, if, that is, I understood you correctly. I have come across endlessly many cynics who are not perfectionists. And I have come across endlessly many perfectionists who are not cynics at all. Frankly, I am a cynic hater. I hate them from the bottom of my heart with all the venom at my disposal. Having been a part of the teaching profession all my life, I cannot afford to be a cynic. I have to believe even when I start off on my last journey that God created the world with a purpose. He made mistakes of course, but he knew also that humans understood his dreams and would strive hard to realize them. God was happy, though as a perfectionist he knew he had reasons to be unhappy about a lot of things he had created. Yet he was elated that he had managed to create humans.

Hemingway would have put it differently: Man was not meant for defeat. You can kill a man, not defeat him.

A cynic, in my opinion accepts defeat even before he begins. Cynicism, in my view, is a CRIME. A cognizable offence.

No one who is endowed with an urge for creativity, such as the perfectionist you speak of, can ever be cynical. I often thought, Wilde, Shaw and others were cynics. But when I read their works, I changed my mind. Wilde, for example, dedicates a poem to his lady love that contains the line: From a poet to a poem. This is the very person who had nothing but his genius to declare to the Customs officer!

Since you appear to bracket cynics and perfectionists, I do not know what your views would be if you didn't adopt this Siamese twin viewpoint. But I do think that perfectionists fall in a group which is totally free of cynicism, especially cynicism towards the world surrounding it. They are cynical, if at all, about their own pursuits and abilities. They can be immensely unhappy people, but they can also be capable of infinite happiness, a kind of happiness most mortals are denied by Nature or God.

It's a bit like Abdul Karim Khan landing a never ever human vocal chord touched note, a note that he knew from his heart to have existed, and having realized that he had finally found it, even if it were only for a fleeting second in his entire life, softly murmur: Wah, wah! (True story.) He was not patting himself on the back. But he was praising God that he showered so much happiness on him. That he endowed him with the grit to cross all the Saharas of the world in search of the only oasis that he knew, he knew, he knew, he knew, knew, knew ... and he didn't know how, how, how, how, how ... he knew, knew, knew ... would quench his thirst.

A perfectionist, in my opinion, should be the object of kindness because of the endless pain s/he suffers from, on account of her/his dogged failures. (By contrast, a cynic needs to be spurned.) S/He could wait an entire lifetime for the BIG catch (Hemingway), perform a miracle, lose it forever, and yet go to sleep in ecstasy and dream of lions. A perfectionist is unhappy with her/himself till s/he knows s/he's been there. Most of them never manage to reach journey's end, but honesty prevents them from giving up the search.

The perfect bow, the perfect violin, the perfect silk saree to drape the perfect-most woman in the world. Nachiketa in search of Yama. Michelangelo turning stone into butter. A perfectionist dies in pain that God refused to reveal the face of perfection to a mere mortal. Yet s/he smiles as s/he dies. However unfair the battle may be, s/he fights it with God himself.

Perhaps you will disagree with me. But I have spoken from my heart. And I don't think my heart will change. And do forgive me if I misunderstood you.

I don't know why I feel so emotional after reading your post.

Best wishes,

oj

PS Wrote in a hurry. Tolerate the typos please. No don't tolerate, because I revised.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. ojaantrik

@ TL

Just to let you know that your fb to this post fascinated me. Right now I am deeply immersed in a lake of fascination. A very young boy is proof-reading the second edition of my book as the chapters progress. It is a tough book, technically at least, for someone of his age. Yet the work he is doing, free of charge, proves beyond doubt that he is in love with the world of knowledge. And then I came here and read your fb to Cheeniya. The undercurrents dragged me deeper inside the lake. You couldn't be much older than the boy I mentioned. Yet your maturity delights me.

Keep it going. Whenever I read anything you write, I can't help recalling Wilde's Preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray:

An artist is the creator of beautiful things.
    To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim.

Love, geriatrically speaking,

oj-da

8. Cheeniya

My dear OJ
    Is not time the worst enemy of every one of us? We get awfully put off by its god-like attitude of supremacy. It is one predominant source of all hypertension in the world. It is a great irony that humans who can master Time have become its slaves while the lesser creatures have mastered it by merely going with its flow. Do we ever see a bird returning home late at night and complaining about it?

My previous essay on the subject titled ‘A cynical look at the Cynics’ was a result of my partial or incomplete understanding of cynicism. I always thought that they were distinguished by a permanent scowl on their faces. I considered them as a bunch of humorless individuals who could be put off by everything that happened around them. All the complaint boxes of the world were meant for their exclusive use while the Suggestion Boxes were languishing for their attention. Then I started looking at them more closely trying to understand what made people cynical. I had a fabulous voyage through the history of cynics and it was as a result of that voyage that I could come across the ancient, nay, the original cynics who practised cynicism as a philosophy of life! I realized that a modern cynic could be anyone, a disgruntled idealist, a subversive wit, a professional misfit, a skeptical jester, a curmudgeon, a social reject, a misanthrope, or a secret sentimentalist who longs for a simpler, sweeter life but the original ones were more of reformers who were constantly on the lookout for better deals for humans.

The ancient Cynics were blunt when it came to exposing foolishness. They'd hang out in the streets like a pack of dogs, watch the passing crowd, and ridicule anyone who seemed pompous, pretentious, materialistic or downright wicked. Fiercely proud of their independence, they led disciplined and virtuous lives. But like in any other pursuit of life, cynicism too has undergone extreme dilution from lofty idealism to capricious self-promotion. Even the dictionary defines a cynic as "a faultfinding captious critic; esp. one who believes that human conduct is motivated wholly by self-interest."

The more I read about the ancient cynics the more appalled I was by the shadow cast on them by the modern cynics. My ‘Change of Heart’ was the outcome of a feeling of disgust I felt for the modern cynic. I am happy with your following pronouncement:
    “Frankly, I am a cynic hater. I hate them from the bottom of my heart with all the venom at my disposal. Having been a part of the teaching profession all my life, I cannot afford to be a cynic. I have to believe even when I start off on my last journey that God created the world with a purpose. A cynic, in my opinion accepts defeat even before he begins. Cynicism, in my view, is a CRIME. A cognizable offence. “
    I could not have condemned a modern cynic in stronger words!

I did bracket cynics with perfectionists but they were cynics of yore and not the modern ones who keep writing letters to the Editors! But when it comes to the ancient cynics like Antisthenes, Aristophanes and Diogenes of Sinope, they were cynics because they were perfectionists.

Our thinking on the subject of cynics is substantially the same if we exclude the modern cynics from the purview of our discussion.

Sri

9. ojaantrik

Dear Sri:

I still have a problem. I don't support the attitude of the ancients either. To quote from your reply:

This is precisely what I abhor. I believe that a true creator, a perfectionist, should never sit on judgement on others' shortcomings, however pretentious they may be. A perfectionist (in my opinion of course) is a person who ought to be recognizable by his humility. He is a person who waits with infinite patience for a momentary glimpse of eternity, totally conscious of his own inconsequence.

He might disapprove of charlatans, but he has to ignore his own disapproval. He should be aware of the contradictions between the finite and the infinite, the myopia of existence. He should spend whatever limited time he has at his disposal in search of things as monumental as beauty and truth.

To quote a gem again:

I can understand that I am on the verge of Vaishnavism here (except for the "true pride" part). Silly may be. But can't help it.

All the best.

oj

10. Cheeniya

My dear OJ
    This is a subject fit enough to be discussed between Mandanamishra and Adi Sankara! What ought to be the characteristics of a perfect man? Among Freemasons ( I am one as you know), it is stressed that 'Perfection' is not given to man; Perfection is given only to God. We believe that no man can ever be perfect and so there is absolutely no case for him to ridicule anyone who he thinks as imperfect.

But I must give this credit to ancient cynics. Their ways might have been brash and obnoxious but they were propelled by the purest of motives. Their cynicism was not a result of any negative human emotion. It is unfair to weigh them against the modern cynics.
    Sri