1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Renewal of dmv Learner's Permit

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sridevithilak, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Sridevithilak

Sridevithilak New IL'ite

Hi,

I took my dmv written test in dec 09 and cleared it. It is valid from jan '10 to feb end. Now i want to renew the permit. So when i checked online, it says inorder to renew your instruction permit, you should start all over, take the test and pay the fees again. I want to know, should you take the written test every time you renew your permit? Can anyone who has renewed their permit please help me with this.

Thanks,
    Sridevi

2. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Yes. In California you have to redo the entire process once your instruction/learner permit expires.

-Uma

3. Sridevithilak

Sridevithilak New IL'ite

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Why don't you take the road test before it expires. Maybe you can pass. You have paid the money and you can reapply and retake...nothing to lose.

5. Sridevithilak

Sridevithilak New IL'ite

guess what, I went to the dmv and they extended my permit for another 2 months without any appointment or another written test ... :cheers

6. justdoit

justdoit New IL'ite

Hi Sridevi..
    I am in the same situation as you.. My learner's expires this month end and i would like to renew it. Can u tell if we should show any proof( VISA etc...) for extension?

7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sridevi..
    I am now in the same situation as you were before regarding the california's leaners permit.My permit is about to expire at the end of this month and I am above 18 yrs, I would like to renew it.How did you renew the permit without giving a test...what was the procedure?? Please reply at the earliest.
    Thanks

8. rinasutaria

rinasutaria New IL'ite

Hi Kveena, were you able to renew the permit without giving a test? My mom took her permit test and passed after many tries. Her permit is going to expire in a month and today she failed the driving test. I wanted to put her in some more classes but I am scared the permit will expire and she will have to take the test again. Were you able to find a way to renew the permit without giving a test?

9. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Here is the summary(From California law point of view).
    If you take the exam, its valid for an year. But when you are presenting your immigration paper after the exam, they would give you permit only till the expiration of your immigration status. But if you happen to get the Immigration extension, you can go to the DMV with the updated visa approval paper and ask for the extension of your DMV permit, they will extend up to a max of one year(from the date of your exam) or till the new expiration date of your Visa (which ever comes first).
    But once you had a free ride for one year on the permit or you have burnt three failures of road test on one permit, you have to have the full-cycled fun again starting with the written test.
    So, your case cant be generalize. Speak to the DMV office to be more clear.