1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering MS, a human nonpareil

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 9, 2007.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Respected Sir,

Best regards.

The awe and regards I have on you have grown by leaps and bounds Sir.....after reading this beautiful post and your meets with Magnificent M.S.:bowdown

Thank you very much for sharing such wonderful moments with us Sir.....:)

Bhajagovindham, Entha maatramuna evvaru thalichida....,Bhaavayami Gopala balam, Bhavayami Raghuramam ...by her always touch my heart and melt my heart ......

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Bhargavi
    Meeting MS and knowing her personally was one of my greatest blessings. I think of her life very often. It was not just her music that made her so great. It was the disarming purity of her soul that lent great charm to her music. A million people or even more consider her as their own mother. What an astonishing stature she had!
    Sri

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Perhaps thats the best tribute that I heard of MS, Cheeniya Sir. And I had the honour of reciting Venkatesa Suprabatham with my friends before her while in class 11, in Mambalam TTDC Devasthanam. We won the first prize then, for the first time and she was the judge. You know how we might have felt then. Don't you?

I've read and heard more about her and wondered how they lived such a simple life always. And you had a point in how death cannot be considered as being a leveller. May be, it did, as we earlier received a great boon and then lost it, now the account is balanced.

There are many who come here
    And leave without a small trace.
    Only a few, are the most revered
    Even after they have parted ways.

What makes one to earn such respect,
    Love and that great presence, I thought.
    The devotion and willingness to respect
    Everyone as same, serves the start.

All her life, she sang and plead
    For His grace, never ceasing once.
    Blessed are us, who luckily heard
    Many of her divine renditions.

To reach such a high state in any
    Field, takes years of regular practice
    And the attitude to continue for many
    Years, never once being ill at ease.

You can't separate her from the song
    That she was singing. Thats how it was.
    We still have those beautiful dawns
    Brought to us by her splendid voice.

She came, she sang and she lived.
    She went now, to reach His abode.
    But we know that she'll always live,
    Even if all our times erode.

2 people like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna do not know how I missed to give fb to this touching post. Thanks to RGS for reviving the thread. Anyone who hears her music becomes her fan. I also like to hear her songs, Kurai onrum illai being my favourite as that song is very touching and when in any problem brings tears in the eyes. Glad that you got a chance to meet her. From childhood I am very fond of bhajans and while hearing the bhajans we are in a different world.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

My dear RGS
    When it comes to writing an eulogy for MS Amma, how inadequate we feel! Words just fail us. We are overawed that a human being could be so perfect in every respect. It suddenly dawns on us that our own existence on earth does not entitle us to any better description than 'scum of the earth'.

I would rephrase your words, 'She came, she sang and she lived' as 'She came, she sang and she conquered'. What is most amazing is that when we do not know about where we will head off when we leave this earthen abode, we are so sure where MS Amma would have reached!

MS Amma's humility was all pervading. She once said 'The quest for perfection is unending and I'll never cease to be a sishya...' When she was to give her UN concert, Kanchi Paramacharya wrote a special hymn 'Maithrim Bhajatha' for her to render. A simple English translation of this hymn is give here:
    Cultivate friendship that conquers all hearts.
    Look upon others as thyself.
    Renounce conflict and unnecessary competition.
    Give up unjust aggression.
    Mother Earth is ready to give us all we desire
    Our Lord is compassionate to all.
    Observe restraint and show compassion.
    May the whole world be happy and prosperous

Who could have been a better person to render this hymn than MS Amma? She conquered our hearts with this hymn and conquered herself with its noble thoughts.
    Sri

2 people like this.
  6. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    Gandhiji once had this to say about Bhajans of MS Amma:
    Her voice is exceedingly sweet. She loses herself in Bhajans. During prayers, one must lose oneself in God. To sing a Bhajan is one thing; to sing it by losing oneself in God is quite different'

That is the reason why her 'Kurai onrum illai' song brings tears to our eyes.
    Sri

1 person likes this.