1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering MS, a human nonpareil

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saraswathi
    What an honour knowing the grand niece of one of the most erudite Tamil scholars that I have come across! Many may not know this that Rajaji sought the help of Mi.Pa.Somu in composing the immortal song 'Kurai ondrum illai'. This has been acknowledged by him and this information is contained in an article in "Kalki" Golden Jubilee Issue.
    The devouts believe in 'Deivam manushya roopena' What other explantaion can there be for the strange emotions that we feel when we are in the presence of such great people as MS?
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    Sorry I did not respond to your post script in my earlier response.
    Music owes its eternal existence not only to the singers and composers but to the rasikas as well. If all of us had the kind of ears for music as Aurangzeb had, music would have perished long ago. Thyagaraja's 'Entharo Mahanubhavulu.." encompasses the rasikas like us as well!
    Sri

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    You are 100 % right.
    I know not all have an ear for classical music. We must thank God that you & I have a great interest in listening to music, though I am aware you sing as well !
    Waiting to hear you sing, sometime !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sri

poonaigal pala
    puliyay maara
    pottukondathaam
    choodu..
    naam mattum
    salaithavara enna
    antha gaana kuyilai
    pola
    paadavum, udukkavum
    menmayaga sirikkavum
    kondayil konjam poovum
    (athu seitha bagyam thaan ennavo?)
    pottum porthiya thalaippum
    kangalil mey marantha..paatum
    subrapathamo, bhajanaigalo
    andrum inrum
    sila samayam kangalil neer malga
    ninaithu ninaithu uruga
    kurai onrum illay......

janmam endra thalaippil
    kavithai varigalil ezhudi irukkiren...
    adutha janmathilaavathu
    antha kalai arasiyay pol pirakka
    enna thavam seiiya vendum.....?

sathya

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya Sir,

Beautiful write-up on a beautiful MS.
    I have this craze for B&W pictures and whenever I saw MS in the such pictures, I felt she had this divine beauty . Even in her older days, there was something about her that would claim all attention. Her looks, her voice – there’s nobody so beautiful and divine.

It’s really great to know of her human side – her contribution to charity, etc. etc. I’ve not learnt music but I do have the ears for it and I completely soak in it whenever possible and when I’m doing a puja even a simple one at home, I do play the divine songs of MS & yes, very true when you say, She has immortalized herself by laying a bridge between the Human and the Divine through her heavenly voice”.

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    This is one of your finest post for which had i missed to reply, i could have repented for.You have talked about a Divine soul and not human.Your title is so apt to MS amma.I had the opportunity to listen to her concert at kanchipuram during a festival. I was just 7years old then.My mom told me about M.S a lot.

I had another opp., to meet her at kanchi some 8 years back, she was looking so beautiful even at that age.Her face was as white as milk and glowing with divine rays.Her songs, bhajans and slokas are my energy boosters. I have spread that MS -cult if i can call it so.. in my in -laws house too. My hubby now listens to hanuman chalisa even in the car while travelling to office and says that gives him so much of mental peace, not because of the sloka, but coz of that Divine Voice.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Sathya
    Puzhuvai pirakkinum
    punniya unnadi en manaththe
    Vazhuvathirukka varam tharal vendum
    Enpadhu pola edhuvai pirakkinum
    Indha deiveega piravigalidaye
    Pirakka vendum.
    Avargalai pola pirakka vendum
    Yenpathu peraasai allavo!
    Sri

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sri,
    wonderful post about MS, and her contribution each one has a small role in their own way, and who can deny the saying sangeetha gyanam bhakthi vina sanmargam, and any sangeetham is to the lord...you are one among the better souls to have seen them and taken blessing from them, so ungalukkey oru namaskaram let that blessing pass on here too..sunkan

9. Cheeniya

Dear Meena
    It was the beauty and purity of her soul that gave MS her serene look. We have observed it in the face of Mother Teresa too! MS had a Divine presence that made people fall at her feet when they encountered her. It was not just the purity of her music that made her a celebrity but the Divinity in the way she rendered her songs.The closed eyes, the ecstatic look and the reflection of the Divine in her lilting voice will ever remain etched in our memory.
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Aishu
    It will be difficult to say how many troubled souls have drawn solace from the Divine music of MS. More than the quality of her music it is the abiding Bhakthi in her rendition that has made her a cult figure. We have come across artists whose music is as superior as that of MS but none of them is revered like MS. She always looked upon her talent as the gift of God and dedicated it to the service of the Divine.
    It is rather sad that the attitude of the present day artists is woefully lacking in evoking the kind of emotions that MS so successfully harnessed in us.
    Sri