1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Relocating to Canada..need info !

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Dewdrop, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Need some info. regarding migrating to Canada. Our fellow ilite Cheer has already given me a good link [ canadian desi];looking for some more advise / experiences.
    My sister(& family),presently staying with me in Dubai, have just received their letter calling for medical appointment. What should they be prepared for during the medical test ? They say, by the time they get their passports stamped, it would be winter; so people are advising against travelling in winter 'cos jobs also will be less. Is this correct ? But they are concerned about their 7yr. old kid missing school. When do schools start-- can he join in between ?? Any particular certificate he would need from his present school where he is studying 2nd.std. ? Is there some 3 types of schooling systems to choose from ; which is best ?

My Brother-in-law is a Systems Analyst ; which state/place would suit him in getting an appropriate job. Can you give the pros. & cons. of the places please, also as to weather,price of homes, cost of living etc. If they do decide to go ahead & travel as soon as they get visa [ since my bil is not having proper
    income in this present job, he wants to quit soon], what precautions they should follow while travelling.... is business class recommended ? Should they travel first to Toronto or elsewhere is practical ? Can they buy winter wear after coming there ?? Being Gulf climate,very little variety & highly expensive, winter clothes are over here.

Some friends are suggesting to even purchase all furniture from here, saying if they go there & buy, they would have to pay lots of taxes !! Is it so ?? What are the important items they should bring from here , which a normal middle-class family would need . Esp. jewels, how much is allowed & how to take them ? Must they put a comprehensive list of items they are having [including household stuff like show-case dolls, books,toys,video cassettes etc.] & take photos of their jewellery ???

Awaiting your useful replies,
    Thanks,
    Dew.

2 people like this.

2. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

3. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheer,

Thanks again :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .....; you are just like your user-name !! Very sweet of you to give more links, inspite of being busy. I think they will have sufficient info. ; my sis. will go thro' them thoroughly today, as it is holiday here.

With love,
    Dew.

4. raji651

raji651 Senior IL'ite

HI Dew
    For schooling in Canada kids can join in any time. All they need is the report card( If available) from their previous school, immunization record, birth certificates. If you are looking for catholic schools then you may need the baptist certificate. When we migrated to Canada first my husband went first and found a job and a place to stay. Then i joined him in a couple of months. You can get all the winter clothing there. For people in computer field Vancouver or Toronto will be a better place. You can look for job openings in TheStar.com, Monster Jobs - Get work. Network. Build a better career. Today's the day..
    the only city which i would advice is a city called Windsor. This has become a dead city with no job openings.

raji

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Dew,

U're welcome, the link i gave u hopefully sorted out lots of ur sis doubts, & that link only gave whole info abt kids schooling etc, so tell ur sis go thru that link.

BTW thanx for ur remark:wave

6. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Hi Raji,

Thanks for taking time to reply . My sis has one more doubt regarding the schooling syllabus/system , not sure what it is called there ; like CBSE , state board, matriculation etc. in india . It seems there are 3 types of schooling ; what exactly are they , :shock: which one is best, that is what they are still confused about.

And regarding accomodation -- they are all travelling together, so what kind of hotels will be safe, decent & not too pricey , since they have to stay at least for few months till they get a proper job / flat. Can they cook in such hotels , if so , :confused: must she carry some vessels also ??

Would be so helful if any of you guys out there could guide .

With thanks,
    Dew.

7. raji651

raji651 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    The school system in Canada is Public schools( Common one), Private schools, French immersion and Catholic schools. In public schools the syllabus is like state board which is free like they don't have any fee for the school. They will supply all the books and some basic stationaries. In french immersion all the subjects are taught in french except for the second language which will in french. If any one of the parent knows french then it will be easier for them to teach the kids. In catholic schools also have the same syllabus as the public school. In private schools you will charged fee which is very expensive. Regarding the hotels it is better to stay in motels. You have look for one that have kitchen unit in it. If it is with a kitchen they will provide some utensils like pots, pans, one or two plates , stove, fridge, some will have microwave in it. If your sister can bring some basic utensils with her it should be good. Which part of canada are they planning to move?I hope i have cleared your doubts. If you still need any info feel free to write to me.

raji

1 person likes this.
  8. srilatharajesh

srilatharajesh Silver IL'ite

have applied for immigration thru WWICS expecting our papers by october last. pls tell me the ideal time to move to canada. what r basic things that we should bring from here. schools and admissions during november. is it wise to come immediately after we recive the papers or wait for my 5yr old daughter to complete her academic yr and move by april. pls reply.

9. Ritika74

Ritika74 New IL'ite

Hi,
    As to when you want to relocate that is up to you. But winter is Harsh in canada, but then it is a lot of fun in winter for 5 yr old. Toronto and Vancover are better for someone in IT, but again there are IT jobs all over canada.
    It is up to you if you want to wait after the papers, there is no law that states you have to move immediately.You can wait until the academic year is done.
    Regarding accomodation, you can look for basement aprtments, and intially you can also stay in a Motel, even though that isnt much cheap.

All the best.

Ritika.