1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Religious Drift

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Glad that you admit that we have created God .But the question is has not this creation run out of steam,? I think humanity has crossed that stage of evolution when we had to link our ethics with hope of rewrds or fer of punishment in the afterlife. The God idea has become anti-humanity, a divisive negative force. I am proud that I have not giuven any religious ideas to my daughter. Humanism is the greatest religion and you don't need an imaginary guy upstairs for it.

Sandycandy and BhumiBabe like this.
  2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I am open about my beliefs, though I don't advertise it in my life. I am technically a "spiritual not religious" person, and I think many people can easily identify as that. It's a simple, noncommittal stance, that doesn't offend anyone. There is a belief in god, but not the dependence on god.

I don't need substantial proof to believe in "god" - like a prophet performing miracles or some divine intervention in someone's life. I don't need stories that explain who god or gods have come to help humanity. I enjoy the stories, but I don't believe them. To me, there is something beyond what we understand and can explain, and that enters god territory.

Most people only "need" god when things get rough and out of their control. I have always found that negotiating with god for opportunities, things, health, etc, reduces the actual level of spirituality one has, and it enters the religious territory.

To pass down to my son, I wouldn't want him to think he needs to negotiate with a god to get a decent life. I don't want him to think that god has control over his test. Instead, if he does choose to pray, pray for the guidance to not forget everything he has learned for the test.

HariLakhera and Sandycandy like this.
  3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Long back somebody in Communist Russia said that Religion is the opium of masses. Another intellectual said if there was no god, we would have created him anyway. As I said it is only a concept which has been named as God. Slowly and slowly that concept itself is dieing. I think it is because we have not been in a position to position that concept in right manner, convincing manner. In the heart of hearts we know there is some super natural power that guides our life but can't explain it. I do not know how to explain it. But we took a wrong way to explain it and made it mysterious and complex beyond comprehension of young minds.
    I am with you. The biggest religion is humanity. But then they will ask what is humanity and we will say do good be good and they will say what is good and what is bad. They are rational and logical.

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Why is being secular different or negative ? It's important to have secular media, its a crucial part of any democracy.
    Let the new generation interpret religion on their own terms, why should we force feed our idea of God to them?

5. HariLakhera

The very word secular is positive because it talks of freedom of religious worship and practices and it is vital for democracy. Rightly or wrongly politiciNs have used religion for vote bank and religious leaders have taken the bait for gratifications and favors. Both are getting inseparable.
    New generation is wise enough to decide for themselves because they are not part of the herd mentality. They are educated, ambitious and forward looking. Yet, yet they too are the product of present day system which rewards opportunists.

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

Religious preachers sound like mystic and that is why thye talk of judgement day, kayamat and end of Kliyuga. On the one hand they say there is no beginning and no end and then in the same breath they say of judgement day and so on. Let me tell you a true story. In a class of some 50 kids, the teacher said the universe will be annihilated in xxxxxx years. The kid in the last row could not listen and asked to be sure ' in how many years Sir?' The teacher replied in 5000 years. The kid sat down muttering 'then no problem'.
    These types of baseless talks promotes the religious drift.
    In my opinion there is n need to force the basic tenets of religious on unwilling people. If require they will learn. People who have no knowledge of these tenets or do not believe in religion as taught are good and moralistic .
    Religious bodies will never accepts God as a concept. They will only talk of what is written in scripts and do their own translations as it suit them.

SunPa likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

That is why I say why enforce it on others, including our own children. Let them learn it from experience or let it come to them from within. Anything forced generates rebelation and young minds are more prone to it.
    Practice your beliefs by all means but do not force it on others. Do not belittle others' religion. They have their beliefs as you have.
    Drift is occurring because we are force feeding them.

8. HariLakhera