Religion and Spirutualism-The twelve Azwars-Sri Poikai Azwar

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Nov 17, 2007.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Sri Poikai Azwar
    Poikai Azwar was the first Azwar who was sent in the world by Lord Vishnu to spread bhakti in order to uplift mankind. As I had mentioned earlier he was the amsam of Panchajanyam. He was born at a place called Thiruvekka at Kanchipuram. He was found on a fully blossomed lotus, tinged with golden hue. He entered in this world in the year Siddhartha, in the month of Aippasi under the star Thiruonam (Shravanam) at the end of Dwaparayuga. As he was found in a Poikai (tank) he was called Poikai Azwar in Tamil and Kasarayogi or Sarovara Muneendran in Sanskrit. He is referred to as Ayonija- not born out of womb, so swayambhava- came into existence by Deiva maya.Poikai Azwar could be called the mornig star of the Srivaishnava sect, who propagated Bhakthi margam. He was the first one to compose 100 pasurams in Anthathi style. It was called Muthal Thiruvanthathi. He was the pioneer in enkindling the Bhakti movement by which people could attain Moksha. In his first Pasuram he visualizes the world as the container of ghee, and the ocean as the ghee and the Sun as the lamp.

“ Vaiyam ThakaLiya varkadale Neyyaka
    Veyya Kathiron ViLakkaaka-seyya
    Sudaraziyan adikke suttinen sonmalai- en
    Itarazi neengukave enRu.”

வைய்யம் தகளியாய் வார்கடலே நெய்யாக
    வெய்ய கதிரோன் விளக்காக - செய்ய
    சுடராழியானடிக்கே சூட்டினேன் சொன்மாலை
    இடராழி நீங்குகவே என்று."

Poikai Azwar was the founder of Prapatti Markam ( SaraNakathi Thathvam) the easiest way to attain moksham.
    Sri Ramanuja described Poikai Azwar’s pasurams as Ghyana deepam. Poikai Azwar moved from place to place having darshan at Divya Desams and also enkindled the dormant Bhakti instinct in all the people with whom he came in contact. Later he came in contact with his peers Puthathazwar and Peyazwar. The three Azwars were known as MuthalazwarkaL

Seyya Thula ONatthiR sekathuthithaan vaaziye
    Thirukachi maanakaram sezikka vaNthon vaaziye
    Vaiyam thakaLi NooRum vakuthuraithaan vaaziye
    Vanasa malar karuvathanil vaNthamarNthon vaaziye
    Veyya kathiron thannai viLakkittan vaaziye!

செய்ய துலா ஓணத்திற் செகத்துதித்தான் வாழியே
    திருக்கச்சி மாநகரம் செழிக்க வந்தோன் வாழியே
    வையந் தகளி நூறும் வகுத்துரைத்தான் வாழியே
    வனச மலர்க் கருவதனில் வந்தமர்ந்தோன் வாழியே
    வெய்ய கதிரோன் தன்னை விளக்கிட்டான் வாழியே.

AzwarkaL Thiruvatikale SaraNam

To be continued

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for writing about Poikai Azwar. Waiting to read more..

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Thank you very much for your immediate FB! I got the vitamin Boost from you!

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Just now i read about 'Poigai Alwar' before going to sleep.
    Nice one. Keep posting, Mrs. Pushpa!

sriniketan

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    I just couldn't get sleep without reading the comment of my motivater! You should guess yourself who it is! And AC who always gives her FB withou fail!

6. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpa,I enjoy reading all your spiritual writings. Your blog on Poigai Azhwar was simple to read and understand. It will be nice for us to read the Paasurams in Tamil. May be you are aiming to reach the non-Tamil readers, as well?Waiting to read about the other Azhwars as well.RegardsUSHA

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Usha,
    I am delighted to know that you enjoy reading my spiritual blog. I will try to post the pasurams in Tamil also hereafter. It is very heartening to know that there are people who shows interest to aquire knowledge in our age old culture and tradition. IL is doing yomen service by giving us this wonderful site. Members are motivating me by their FB. Thank you once again,
    Love,
    Pushpavalli