Religion and Spirutualism-The Twelve Azwars- Puthathazwar

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Nov 23, 2007.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Puthathazwar
    Puthathazwar entered in this world as Lord Vishnu’s Kathayutha amsam on the very next day after Poikai Azwar. He was also born in the year Siddhartha, in the month of Aippasi, under the star Jeshta (Avittam) at Thirukadanmallai. He was found on a Kurukathi flower (Neelothpala pushpam) Putham means soul. He devoted his soul to Lord Vishnu and so he was called Puthathazwar. His thoughts were always around Thirumal. He always visualized Lord Vishnu in his beautiful forms and was thinking and talking about His Divine qualities. He got proficiency in scriptures early in his life at very young age.
    While Poikai Azwar made Vaiyam Thakazi yai, Puthathazwar says in his pasuram as follows:
    “ Anbe thakaziyai Arvame Neyyaka
    Inburu Sinthai Iduthiriya-nanpuruki
    Ghyanasudar ViLakeRRInen NaraNarku
    Ghyana thamiz puriNtha Naan."

அன்பே தகளியாய் ஆர்வமே நெய்யாக
    இன்புருகி சிந்தை இடுதிரியா-நன்புருகி
    ஞானச்சுடர் விளக்கேற்றினேன் நாரணற்கு
    ஞானத் தமிழ் புரிந்த நான்.

He also traveled all over Tamilnadu having darshan of Lord Vishnu at divya desams. He composed pasurams in praise of Deities of thirteen divya desams.
    They are the following.
    1. ThirupaRkadal 2. Thiruvenkadam 3. Thirukadanmallai 4. Thiruneermalai 5. Thirupatakam 6. Thirukovalur 7. Thirukachi 8. Thirumalirunsolai 9. Thirukoshtiyur 10. ThiruthaNkal 11. ThirukudaNthai 12. Thanjai MamaNi Koyil and 13. ThiruvaraNkam. In his pasurams he not only portrayed Lord Vishnu’s unmatched beauty and Divine qualities, but also natural scenes and the love and affection he witnessed between a male and female elephant. In a pasuram in which he did mankala sasanam to Thiruvenkatanathan , we could enjoy the scene. In the forest a male and female elephant were wandering for a long time in scorching Sun. They both felt very thirsty. The male elephant found a pond where there was water. The male elephant instead of quenching his thirst, plucked the shoots of bamboo that were nearby and drenched them in the water that looked like honey and fed it to his partner. The Azwar says that Thiruvenkatanathan’s abode has the richness of Sri Vaikuntham and was surrounded by natural scenes like this. This is just an example for the Azwar's description of natural beauty along with Lord's Rupa sowndaryam and Divya Kalyana GuNaNgal.

Azwarkal Tiruvadikale SaraNam!

To be continued

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpavalli
    Thanks for writing about Puthathazwar. The scene between the two elephants is touching and speaks volumes about nature. Since the words fonts appear small to me I will have to come back to read the stanza. Thanks and looking out for more.

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    Thanks a lot for your instant FB. I have changed the font size and I hope that you won't have to strain your eyes to read.

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Now only I came to know what do they mean by 'Puthathalwar".
    It is also very nice to know how our forefathers loved nature side by side.
    thanks for this post, Mrs.Pushpavalli!

sriniketan