Religion and Spiritualism-The Twelve Azwars-Thirumangai Azwar

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, May 15, 2008.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thirumangai Azwar​

Thirumangai Azwar returned to Srirangam and continued his ThiruppaNi. When he was constructing the Thirumathil , the nandavanam that was maintained by Thondaradippodi Azwar blocked the way. Thirumangai Azwar gave instruction to build the wall without disturbing the nandavanam. Thondaradippodi Azwar was happy and he gave one of the titles of Azwar
    “ Arulmaari” to the knife with which he used to pluck the flowers. Though both of them lived in the same period they did not meet each other. Thirumangai Azwar had great respect for Thondaradippodi Azwar.
    When the construction of Thirumathil was about to finish, Azwar did not have money to pay the labourers. He prayed to Lord Sri Ranganatha and The Lord had told him to go to the bank of KoLLIdam and he would give him the money. Azwar told the labourers to meet him there and he would pay them.
    Azwar was waiting with all the labourers for the Lord. There came a merchant with a marakkal ( a wooden measuring bowl) and ezuththaaNi. He told Azwar that Azakiya MaNavaalan at Srirangam had sent him to pay the labourers. As Azwar found him only with the empty marakkaal and ezuththaaNi, he asked him, where was the money. The merchant told him that after praying to Lord Sri Ranganatha thrice with the marakkaal , he would fill the marakkaal with the sand and it would turn to gold coins. But only those who really worked hard would get the coins . So saying he started filling the marakkal with sand and pouring it out to the labourers. Those who got only sand started shouting and they surrounded the merchant to attack. But he just fled away and the Azwar started chasing him. The Lord made Azwar to chase him up to Thiruaathanoor. The Lord played this ThiruviLaiyadal with Azwar to give darshan to him. After having darshan at Thiruaathanoor, Azwar returned to Srirangam. He lived for 105 years.
    Thirumangai Azwar got the following 8 titles.:
    1. Aalinaadan 2. ARuLmaari 3.Arattamukki 4.Adaiyarsiyam
    5 Kongumalar KuzaliyarveL 6.Mangai Venthan 7. Parakaalan
    8. Kaliyan
    The pasurams composed by Thirumangai Azwar:
    !. Periya Thirumozi 1084
    2.ThirukkuRunthaandakam 20
    3.Thiruvezu KuuRRiRukkai 1
    4.SiRiya Thirumadal 1
    5. Periya Thirumadal 1
    6. Thirunetunthaandakam 30
    On total he composed 1137 pasurams.
    After completing all this, when Azwar beseeched the Lord to bless him with moksham, he bade him to go to ThirukkuRungudi and there his wish would be fulfilled. Azwar went to ThirkkuRungudi and there he attained moksham.

கலந்த திருக்கார்த் திகையில் கார்த்திகை வந்தோன் வாழியே
    காசினியில் ஒண் குறையலூர் காவலோன் வாழியே
    நலந்திகழ் ஆயிரத் தெண்பத்து நாலுரைத்தோன் வாழியே
    நாலைந்தும் ஆறைந்தும் நமக்குரைத்தோன் வாழியே
    இலங்கெழு கூற்றிறுக்கை இருபதீந்தான் வாழியே
    இம்மூன்றில் இருநூற்றிருபத் தேழீந்தான் வாழியே
    வலந்திகழும் குமுதவல்லி மணவாளன் வாழியே
    வாட் கலியன் பரகாலன் மங்கையர்கோன் வாழியே!

Thirumangai Azwar ThiruvadikaLe SaraNam!​

With this “The Twelve Azwars” is concluded. I tried to narrate the Azwars’ Divya Charitham with my little knowledge. Hope that you all enjoyed it.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank You PS for writing about Thirumangai Azwar:) Its intersting to note the story of sand and gold coins.. and how God made Azwar run to Thiruaathanoor! Thank you so much for writing about eh Twelve Azwars.. thoroughly enjoyed it.. Hope you find some more inspiring topics to write on .. looking forward:)

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mrs.Pushpavalli,
    We really enjoyed reading Azwars Divya charithram...and applaud you for the work and time you took to make us understand the same...Hats off to you...and I too echo AC's words ....looking forward for more such topics from you....

sriniketan

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear AC,
    I was out of station and moving around, hence the late reply. Thank you very much for your continuous FBs and your encouragement. I wish that I find some inspiring and interesting subject to write. Love,
    PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    Thank you for your regular FBs and for your encouraging comments which inspired me to write about the Azwars. I got to know about those great devotees of the Lord which enriched my knowledge. Thank you once again for your applaud,
    Love,
    PS