1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relatives or Friends?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Yesterday my relative Sheila came back from India and dropped in to visit me. After the dinner I had cooked for her and her family they left. The visit did go well except for a small expectation I had. I thought they would atleast get me a small sweet packet, I told my dh, after they left.
    My dh ofcourse said I was wrong to have expected this. Actually I am not very fond of sweets and neither is anyone in my home. Its just that would have been a small token to bring back and share after spending a long time in India.
    I can ofcourse buy all these sweet packets locally. Its really not about the sweet but just a small expectation I had. Am I wrong?
    In the past everytime I went to India always brought back silk or kanjeevaram sarees for Sheila. Though I really did not expect in that scale...
    Whenever any of my friends travel, even within the same country or abroad they always bring me back something. Just a little something.
    So what is the difference here between relatives or friends? Or is this just happening to me? Why dont relatives be nicer instead of fault finding? Again maybe yours are so much better? Again maybe I should change?
    How is that friends sometimes extend themselves more than relatives do? How is that friends show kindness and thoughtfullness where relatives dont.
    Has anyone else come across anything similar? Please do share your views.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,

Relatives are by chance ,friends are by choice.Guess theres very little we can do about it.I guess we make friends when we see certain warm traits in them ,hence also the fact that they do feel it neccessary to give a token, Even for me, though relatives do get something, but yet it is more of a compulsion, whereas friends get me these small token of love.It could be anything simple and inexpensive but the fact that they thought about it and found it necessary to show some kind of gesture to appreciate the fact that youve been a good hostess and that they are thrilled to visit you makes you feel good.
    I understand what youre saying but I think relatives rather some of them take you for granted knowing you are bound to be together no matter what , but the worst part is when you go and pick up soemthing for them ,yet when they visit you again they will come swaying their empty hands.

I personally exchange lot of gifts .I find as much pleasure in giving as in recieving.

Good topic AC!!

Love,
    Devika

3. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Don't you feel lonely there AC! Unfortunately, I am here to give you company on this :) Happens to me many times.
    Relatives have a tendency to take you for granted. I think it is a combination of the following few things - a) because you will be a relative no matter what.The common thought is friendships can be broken but not relationships with relatives. I think some people take undue advantage of this fact. If they happen to be from the in-laws side then the tendency is more. Just my observation. b) They know that we will never stoop down to their standards (not just in gifting but in our behavior towards them) so they have nothing to lose by doing what they do.
    Tackling them is not easy. 'Cos what does not feel right to us in someone's behavior, is something we would not like to do to others either. So we cannot "give them back" per say. Avoidance and not going out of the way to make them feel uneccessarily comfortable is what I try to do. Sometimes this also may not be a possibility. Which is when I just do what is the right thing to do according to me and wait for God to make it right for me. Luckily he never disappoints!
    SS

4. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Devika, he he .... we wrote the same thing abt relatives sometimes taking you for granted! Believe me when I say that there were no replies here when I started typing. Only when I submitted my reply I saw you had beat me to it! Nice to see our thoughts sync! :)
    SS

5. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

SS I told you there was something, there is definitely something to it!! hehehhheeee:))

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi AC,

Its always nice to receive something from anyone after they return from vacation in India...Yesterday, a friend, dropped in to give ripe alphonsa mangoes, from Salem...and little malligai poo(we don't get the flowers, here)...It was a nice gesture...I too always carry halwa from there to distribute here.

I understand, your disappointment with your relative....disappointment not becos of the sweets but at her gesture....or the absence of showing the token ...some people are like that......maybe not just relatives, even friends. But as you said....relatives will find the fault....so, maybe it hurt you more...sheela was your relative and as I understand a close one may be....Perhaps if she was some friend, you maynot have felt so much....just thought and left it....(don't mistake me...not pointing fingers at you...its just what i think...)
    Yes, some relatives sometimes take us for granted...

bye

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear AC,

Count me too in your list. It maybe a small pack of sweets or fruits or even a memento. My colleague had been on a tour to Mumbai with her DH and friends, she brought a small keychain for all the people in our wing. Maybe the gift is small but I just loved her gesture. The thought she rememberd all of us in Mumbai, showed how warm a person she is.

It is tooo rare to find these kind of gems but don't ask about relatives....... less said about them is better. Hence I do not expect from this quarters at all though exceptions are there.

sindmani likes this.
  8. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    With many, most of us here relatives are like that per se. If you do the same thing they will have loads of complaints. Friends soemhow I feel understand you better most times that relatives do.I have been in that sitation most of the times.With relatives it is just that , but with freinds we share a bond that is beyond give and take.Realives will want you to be by them when in trouble, why should I you might think, but again if will only lead to problem if we reason with them or try to. So stick to your buddies.They are a safe bet for all seasons. My two cents!!!

9. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

hi, i feel this is common with all relatives. even i have the same experience. i think relatives just try to maintain the relationship which they dont really want, but friends r not like that they r the ones' for us in all times. it is good to have 1 friend instead of having many relatives like this.

madhu.

10. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

AC..Friends or relatives..Most of them come empty handed here..Few of them bring stuffs for my son..but none for us.I have stopped expecting..Thats all I could do..