1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding Solid Food Preparation Methods

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Needtobestrong, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Reg. mashing rice..I noticed that rice doesn't cook n mash properly becos we keep small quantity and thus the cooker whistles come very fast and rice may not get cooked sufficiently..I tried keeping small quantity rice in bigger vessel ..kept rice to water in 1:4 ratio..two whistles in medium flame, then reduced to lowest flame and kept for 3-4 whistles more..then once steam went off, opened vessel when still hot and quickly mashed with big spoon..veggies Like carrot etc get mashed well..rice not that great..gets mashed to some extent only...somehow texture is not good when mashed with blender and too much puréed in mixie..so I'm giving like his only..my baby makes retching motions every 2 spoons of this khichdi, but what to do..
    My relative told she keeps rice in big quantity for entire family in big cooker..rice and dal..she takes that rice an deal and mashes with spoon..it seems it gets mashed very nicely. Have to try that.

2. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Hi @Needtobestrong
    I tried one thing which is better than my previous experiments with mashing rice.
    I washed the raw rice and spread it on a cloth for an hour. Mildly fried it to remove moisture and powdered in mixer. I am using this rice, with 4 times water in a small vessel in a 3 liter aluminium cooker.( My experiments with steel cooker and small 1.5 liter cooker were disasters......... not sure if it's cooker problem.......so mentioning it) I keep for 5-6 whistles and switch off.. I put this in mixer to just grind very mildly...I felt this was better consistency for my baby. He seemed to accept better..
    Regards,
    Cliona

Needtobestrong likes this.