1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

regarding blood group of my baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ashim1, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ashim1

ashim1 New IL'ite

I'm with a B+ blood group. My wife's blood group is O+. But my son, was born on july19,2013, got blood group O-. Is there any one who experienced this? If so the please share your views. Thanking and Regards....

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have not experienced this but I know a family with similar situation. They did not face any issues.

The following info is from babycenter website. This should be useful for you:

All of us belong to one of four blood groups: A, B, AB or O. Except in very rare cases, it doesn't matter if you're a different blood group to your baby's dad. What does matter is the rhesus factor, whether or not you're rhesus-positive (RhD-positive) or rhesus-negative (RhD-negative).

People who are RhD-positive have a protein on their red blood cells called D antigen. If you're RhD-negative, you don't have this.

We inherit the rhesus factor from our parents. Around 85 per cent of people from white European backgrounds have RhD-positive blood. For people of African and Asian origin, the figures are 94 and 90 per cent.

Most of us are RhD-positive because we each inherit two copies of the rhesus gene, one from each parent. These genes are either positive or negative. The positive gene is dominant and always wins out.
    If you inherit one positive and one negative gene, you will be RhD-positive.
    If you inherit two positive genes you will also be positive.

If both parents are RhD-negative, there's no chance that any of their babies could be RhD-positive. This is because neither parent has a positive gene to pass on.

If both parents are RhD-positive but both carry one positive and one negative gene, the odds are that their baby will be rhesus-positive, too.
    However, it's also possible for those same parents to have a RhD-negative child if they both pass on their negative gene to their baby.
    If one parent is RhD-negative and one parent is RhD-positive, their baby could be RhD-positive or negative.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Ashim
    I havent exactly understood your question.
    Are you surprised that your child doesnt have the blood group of his father or mother?
    Then let me tell u Rhesus positive is dominant, so parents who are both positive but each have a negative gene can have a rhesus negative child, but if both parents are rhesus negative they cannot have a rhesus positive child because neither have a rhesus positive gene to pass on.
    Thats just my knowledge of genetics.
    Check who else in your and your wife's family are O negative.You will be able to draw the gene and blood group chart easily.

2 people like this.
  4. ashim1

ashim1 New IL'ite

Thanks Dinny. I have gone through various sites to learn these what you said. I've some specific questions. I'll appreciate your kind response in this regard-
    1. My wife's uncle (brother of my father-in-law) who passed away at his early age was B negative. Could it be a factor?
    2. Is there any tests to confirm that me and my wife bear negative gene? or is it a fact that every human being are with positive and negative gene both?
    3. Do I have to do anything as a safeguard for my kid? As you know O negative blood is rare to find when need be...
    Many thanks once again...