1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reduced BM and baby refusing to drink

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by krozwindz, Mar 18, 2010.

1. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

I have experienced very similar nursing strikes when Avi was a month and a half (he's a week short of five months now)--the strike coupled with a mild bout of mastitis resulted in almost a week without nursing. A friend of mine suggested that I use a Medela nipple shield (it's available at Target), and luckily it worked, probably because the silicon of the shield tricked Avi into the thinking that he's getting a bottle (i used to use the slow-flow bottles then). While the nipple shiled worked for me, I have heard that it could cause nipple confusiona s well. Before using the shield, I had tried coaxing and cajoling him to take the breast, to no avail...
    All the best!

2. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

I am havirng the same problem for the past 2 months. Nowi have given up tryin to bf. Im always feeding him expressed milk.

Chitra, nice to see you after a long time..

3. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Hi Ranjeetha--nice to see you too! I've been off IL for a while--the LO was keeping me on my toes! Hope you and the LO are doing well....

4. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Rantings of a frustruated mom
    I have almost given up. Ihave tried and really tried. But now she is refusing to even come to me sometimes. Though i never forcefed and though i tried following the advice given here and in the website u sent poonam ( thanks for that). I tried during her sleep and she wakes up and howls. I have tried the lying down position and on my lap. Nothing seems to have worked. And somehow it has become a thing of entertainment for the ayahs who work for me. They say u try knowing that the baby is soon going to howl and stop coming to me. Then they can tell everybody around that baby doesnt like going to mommy. I only express for the last 2 days. But frankly only twice. Now the supply is also super low at 1 oz after i have tried and tried to express. Baby is happy otherwise. I am thinking of giving up. Maybe i will try the nipple sheild as a last resort, but have no idea about them. Please tell me what is the good one available here and if they are available in different sizes and how to choose them and finally where am i likely to find them?

Thanks

5. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Chitra, My LO is almost 9weeks and refusing to bfed since 2 weeks. For the last couple days atleast I am able to bfeed for few minutes couple times but he seems to prefer bottles. Can you please let me know if you had any issues while latching with nipple shield. Can you also describe the one that you used? I just want to make sure that I am using the right one. Some where online I also read that it should not be used without medical supervision so any advice is highly appreciated. BTW, are you still using nipple shield or did you only use to get LO to bfeed? Was it difficult to wean?

Thanks
    Shyl

6. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Hi Shyl,

Avi seemed to be OK with the nipple sheild. I used one made by Medela, and had bought it at Target for about $8.00. (Medela Standard Contact Nipple Shield - 24mm : Target) I hope you are able to see the link! I believe other companies also make nipple shield, but I used the Medela--the half cut design is pretty good, since it allows the LO's nose to just touch your skin rather than hitting the silicon. I only used the shield for about a week or so since I didn't want Avi to get too dependent on them. He nurses on his own now. The shield covers the breast nipple and has a few holes in them to enable breast milk flow.
    I had also read about consulting a doctor before using the shield, but I never did. I used the shield pretty much as a last ditch effort, and it worked. I should probably mention here that just before using the shield I indulged in some 'tough-love' by trying to get Avi to nurse on his own. I basically kept at it despite his loud protests--I didn't give in and give him a bottle. Instead, I got my husband to make a quick trip to Target and get the shield (btw, nipple shields are availble in BRU as well--but havent seen them at Walmart). I guess by the time the shield came (after about 20 minutes of crying or so--I would hold him and rock him, but not give him the bottle), Avi was suitably hungry to nurse via the shield.

@ Krozwindz: I completely feel your pain--I used to get so frustrated at times! I have usually found that massaging the breast while pumping improves the output. I've also noticed that the quality of pump used significantly affects milk output. I initially used the Lansinoh Double electric pump, and it used to take me about an hour and a half to fill the bottles. My pumping time has reduced considerably once I switched to the Medela Pump in Style --i'm able to drain my breasts in 15-20 minutes--which is so much simpler. I'm afraid I don't know if Medela products are available in India. But try taking a warm shower and then massaging your breasts while you pump. Also, I was told to take oats and soaked fenugreek seeds everyday to improve milk production. I guess thats worked for me...And one more thing, I've noticed that I am usually able to pump more milk when I am relaxed and happy...I know it's easier said than done, but try to forget about your nursing and latching issues, and do something fun while you pump--I usually watch youtube videosor update my Facebook page while pumping (I put the pumping horns within the folds of my nursxing bra, and it stays put surprisingly!). Finally, at the end of the day, it is nice to know that we always have formula to fall back on! I was a formula fed baby, and I think I've turned out quite OK :) We just have to do whats best for the baby, and a stressed out, unhappy mom is not what the doctor ordered for a happy baby..(and try not to worry about what the maids will say--I'm sure they will find fodder for gossip anyplace!)

Hang in there, and take care!

Chitra.

7. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

@ Krozwindz: While I was at the hospital, the lactation consultant had me nurse the baby by placing him on my bare torso--she basically stripped him down to his diapers, and placed him on my bare chest (I was bare-bodied waist up)--the baby just snuggled and sort of found my breast while snuggling, and with a little direction he latched on. Maybe you can give this method a try and see if it works.

8. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Sorry about making so many consecutive posts, but things keep occuring to me afyer I hit "post reply".

I just re-read your post, and you mentioned that you only pumped twice...Even while the nursing strike was on, I tried to fit in atleast 4-5 pumping sessions everyday to maintain my milk supply. While you are trying to get the LO to get back to nursing, you might need to up the pumping sessions (i used to pump every three to four hours during the day, and atleast once at night). I did all this in the first ten weeks after Avi's birth, don't have enough time to pump so much once I got back to work...

9. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Chitra, I went to Target and brought the nipple shield like the one your mentioned. As soon as LO tried to latch it came out. I tried n times but it wouldn't stay contacted. Am I doing anything wrong?

On another note, I wanted to let you know that I have to offer bottles to my LO as I have started working so cannot implement 'tough love'. So not sure if I will be able to get him back to bfing successfully?

So far, I was able to do both easily and LO took book and b's. But now,since he is a little older, I believe he realizes that bottle is easy and is refusing my b's. Also, I did not offer him the breast for 3 consecutive days and that started his 'NO' to b's. Any advice is highly appreciated.

10. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

I used to hold the baby with one arm, and use the other arm to hold the shield in place. You could also try putting some lanolin cream to keep the shield in place. Honestly, I found the shield a pain to use, but it helped the LO latch on.
    I only tried tough love on a Saturday evening when I had time--and luckily he took to the breast again (Avi was almost two months old then).
    Btw, have you tried nursing him at night? I've found that he is less fussy when he is asleep while feeding...