Recurrent UTI-help..!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by saraswatibhat, Jan 16, 2010.

1. saraswatibhat

saraswatibhat Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Iam 21 weeks pregnant.Today my doc told me that iam having uti.Previously I had it in 18 weeks.Iam drinking lots of water and also taking cranberry juice . I am really scared of taking antibiotics again and again.Any ladies had similar experience?How can I prevent it from happening again?

Thanks,
    Saraswati

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010

2. Viny

Viny Junior IL'ite

Dear Saraswati,

I also had a quite similar experience of recurring UTI for which I have had taken a treatment of around 2 years .Even after several pathological tests, ultrasound and repeated urine cultures my gyne had no clue why it is recurring again and again and she named my problem as a “CRONIC UTI”. I had spent thousands of bucks for the treatment and still there was no relief. After each course of antibiotics it seems to be vanished for a couple of days to some months but always returned back with the same symptoms of burning, pinching, and pain during urination.

Finally I decided to go to an urologist as I realized it is something out of my gyns's area of specialization and she is just experimenting different drugs on me with repeated tests of heavy expenses. After having a long session and answering a lot of questions related to the symptoms, my life, daily routine, water intake, Sex life and so on, and also going through all my previous test reports and prescriptions the urologist diagnosed that I have never been suffering with a UTI. Although some of the symptoms looks like as a UTI the urologist diagnosed my problem as a "bladder disorder" for which he kept me on a course of medicine for 15 days which was a non antibiotic drug and since then “thank god” I have got relief. He also strictly recommended no tests or cultures of blood /urine as they are not required at all.

I am thankful to this urologist who pitched the actual problem on the basis of actual physical symptoms but not just on the basis of the pathological reports. A problem for which I went through several tests, faced mental trauma of having a chronic UTI and spent more then 20000 rupees , got treated in just one visit to the urologist and only 15days medicine worth Rs.250only.

I suggest you if it is a recurring UTI visit a urologist only.

Best of luck…

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

I had UTI one in 7-8 weeks and at 22 weeks,botht he time my Ob never gave me any medcine,she just told me to increase intake f water and next time they tested I always showed negative for UTI,just increase ur intake of water and urinate often you can feel the difference,next time when she prescribes you a medicine for UTI just ask her if you can wait and test it again so that u dont have to have drug for it again and again,

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Sorry to hear about the UTI. See in pregnancy the weight of the baby / uterus puts pressure on the bladder and that can cause discomfort and sometimes UTI.

To avoid antibiotics you can drink lots of water, eat lots of yogurt, and take it easy by not indulging in too many activities, including intercourse (that always gave me a uti when I was pregnant). wear only cotton panties and try "airing" the private area at night by not wearing one when sleeping.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I would also suggest that you have a vaginal culture to rule out that. Try changing your detergent and use a hyperallergenic one. Try washing that area without using soap. If necessary you can use a weak vinegar water and then rinse that off instead of soap. Don't wait when you have to pee....go sooner not later. Watch out for eating sweet stuff. I agree that if you keep having problems go to a urologist. Hope you get relief soon.

6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

All the people have given good suggestions..

Also, try to wear loose cotton panties and change your panties often...Whenever you pee wash the vaginal aread with plain water...Keep the vaginal area clean and dry..

Avoid sex for few days and see if that makes any difference..

When you are out of the house try not to use public toilets unless absolutely necessary...When I was pregnant and when I was outside the home like at a mall and when I had to pee, I used to go but never sit on the toilet seat..I used to stand kind of in the mid air and pee...I know it sounds funny but with a lil practice you can do it...

Hope you find relief soon!

7. saraswatibhat

saraswatibhat Senior IL'ite

Thank you ladies for your wonderful suggestions..Surely will follow it..

Thanks again

Saraswati

8. sachug

sachug New IL'ite

Hi Viny, I dont know whether you are active in IL. I am on the same boat you were in for last 6 years!! with no relief. I am fed up of all this repeated tests and antibiotics.( Finished a one month dose yesterday, with out any relief.) Could you please let me know which doctor you had consulted ?? If you remember the medicin'e name also.
    Thank you !

9. sachug

sachug New IL'ite

Hi Viny, thanks a lot for sharing your experience in detail. I replied you yesterday also. Just wanted to ask you
    this, have you ever did cystoscopy? I would be really grateful if you can share the details of the medicines you have taken from the Urologist.
    Thank you for your time.
    Good day!
    sachu