1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reconcile with inlaws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by asuitablegirl, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mlk2009

mlk2009 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I totally agree with Chocolate. ASG, you are a very smart girl. I really dont hear people saying "blissfully married" that often. So please please think well and enter into this saga.
    Your FIL and MIL had their chance in life with your DH. Now its your turn, dont let them ruin it for you.

All the best.

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I'm actually really scared. My hubby is my world, everything I look forward to in life includes him... if my inlaws mess things up, I will feel incredibly, utterly lost.

But my hubby is missing his dad. I don't see what other choice I have. Guess I will hope for the best and pray that my hubby loves me as much as I think he does.

3. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

In this case a nice greeting wishing him on the father's day is the best idea, IMO. Time it properly, there are some good couriers who pride themselves in giving birthday gifts on time. I used some of them to wish my wife while I was in US.

Why do we forget letters? They are a good one way communication to convey our feelings to others. Phone on the other hand makes you obliged to speak with others around, and not only to the person you wanted to have a chat with, in the first place.

An email is good, a hand written letter is better.

I also know that phone has its advantage (or disadvantage), you can simply say a few things like "how are you doing", "we are fine and happy here". But with a letter you need to go into a bit more detail which you may not be prepared.

I have experienced that a hand written letter goes a long way. Now and then, I myself, pull old letters written by my wife whenever I feel like being pampered by her (and when she may be sleeping or busy).

4. asuitablegirl

My hubby is not much of a writer. Besides, Father's Day is tomorrow. :|

5. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear ASG,

We cannot control anyone [ not even our hubby] but our own self. Let hubby call/mail his father. If he finds peace of mind by interacting with his father, let it be. If after interacting with his father he starts interacting with his mother [your MIL] too, you cannot do anything about this.

You stay out of all this. I mean, do not try to change the order of things-whatever has to happen will happen. Let hubby wish FIL in Father's day and then wait and watch the turn of events. You should react accordingly.

But do not go too far...trying to create a brotherhood of sorts...you may be disappointed.

I think that at the end, your hubby will do whatever he pleases. You cannot stop your hubby from interacting with anyone.

But make it clear to hubby -how far you are willing to go to please your In-laws. First, be clear about your boundaries.

Take things slowly.

Take Care,
    NOW HAPPY

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  6. asuitablegirl

UPDATE: Last night my hubby called his dad. Only briefly spoke to his mom. So far so good... sky has not come falling down yet. :thumbsup

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

ASG, That is nice to hear. Good for you, your husband and his dad. I somehow missed this thread earlier.

Don't worry about any effects of talking to his mom also. If at all, consider them a test of how well you both have learnt the lesson you learnt from all the confusions she created in the past. This time, you and your husband are aware of what can happen to your marriage, so you will be doubly careful. Maybe, she will see the error of her ways, and herself try to change as she sees her son bonding more with father.

Rihana

8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Congrats. You and your husband must be very happy.

9. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Congrats ASG, you and your DH must be feeling content especially you as you are the reason that your DH and FIL spoke to eachother. I am sure your FIL was happy to know his son called to especially wish him after 6 month long NO talks. Just leave it at that, dont go back contacting them every week, that would lead your MIL to intervene in your lives her way pls...

Ofcourse, we dont want to see you miss the blissful moments you share with your DH now.

10. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Good ASG. I would say the same that AD has said in her post. If I had replied couple of days back when you posted your question, I would have told "lady.. pls stay away and you dont have to be sweet, but smart". Now that it has all happened and hopefully ended well, leave it there and be happy with your DH. Your FIL or MIL or not even your DH is going to give you a "Best DIL" award for this act of yours. The fact that its your idea and your wish that the dad/son reestablish their relationship could all be gone in a trice if your MIL wishes so. Again sorry, i couldn't help a cynical note - my mom has been accusing me of turning very unfriendly lately :bonk. Wish i come back! take care ASG.