1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations on Parent/child participation classes...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sandhyachennai, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sandhyachennai

sandhyachennai New IL'ite

Hi,
    My son is 2 years old. I have met so many moms outside who keeps telling me that they are taking their kids to Swimming/Gymboree/Art classes/Soccer/Music// Initially, i thought it isn't worth spending that much money for only 45 minutes (one day per week). But now that it is winter, it is really getting very hard for me to keep him engaged inside the house all day. Even though i take him outside for few walks, visits to library, etc., he would start crying when we get home.

Anyone here has experience with "The little gym" or "My gym" or "Kindermusik" or "Art classes"? Or do any of you recommend any particular parent/child participation classes?

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Sandhya, my daughter and I did the infants (Village) Kindermusik class and LOVED it. It kept me busy, helped her with socializing skills, music appreciation and I have made some good friends along the way and not to foget work out I got grooving to the music. :) The Kindermusik was an hour long class once a week but I think it was all worth it for us.

I just found out about a gymnastics class for toddlers. I don't know much about it, but I guess at this age it's going to be a gym kind of a class. I need to call the center and take a tour before deciding if it's worth it for us at this point or not.

I recently found out is that most of the local elementary schools do some kind of weekly activities for infants and toddlers. You can call the school's Family Resource Center for information.

Another inexpensive option would be to find local playgroups in your area. We are a member of one of those, you may have to pay a very minimal price (I pay $5 for six months). You don't have to go to each one of them, you can pick and choose. You can go either to yahoogroups or meetup.com to find a group in your area.

Good luck

Raj

3. sandhyachennai

Thanks for the information Raj. Glad to know that you enjoyed "Kidermusik" classes with your daughter. Few months back, the local library in my place did provide free "kindermusik" classes once a month (20 minutes long) and my son seemed to like it too.

Regarding the "Little gym", as you have said, i have to fix an appointment for the trial class. Guess that's the only way to check if it works for us. Will let you know once i attend this trial session.

Will definitely look for palygroups and activities in local schools as well.

Thanks again Raj.

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi sandhya,
    Did you go to "little gym"?Please share your experience.I am planning to take my son there.

5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I have attended MOMMY AND ME class in the fall season.
    I have registered last year and I enjoyed the class. Ofcourse
    my DD too. It is like circle time, outside play and classroom toys etc.
    May be you can check in your area`s Adult school programmes.

6. sandhyachennai

Sorry Supriya and others for not posting my feedbacks. I haven't checked this thread for a long time.

I did take my son to "The Little gym" trial class. He played for sometime but doesn't seem to be enjoying much. Some kids (coming regularly) are really enjoying the class. I think may be if i take him every week, he will start liking it.

I also took my kid to soccer class (Indoor) which he really liked it. He likes kicking and playing with balls. We both use to do that at home. But i felt it wasn't worth it considering the timings, equipments, coaching and personal hygeine.

So i started taking my kid to 2 different libraries for story times and music times, etc., which pretty much covers 3 days in a week. Besides, we have a plagroup (every week) to keep him engaged.

I'm rightnow looking for playschools which is offering a 2 hour program for kids. That way my son will get used to be away from me for a while and will prepare him for regular school.